Starship Troopers 2

Did any of you guys see Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation.

I watched it and had mixed feelings, not many bugs since special effects were expensive, and the guns were dumb, again $$$$ considerations (The original broke records I think for rounds fired, or at least fired alot of them).

It had an ALIENS/Invasion of the Body Snatchers feel to it. It wasn't all that bad for a direct to video movie.

I never quite understood why people didn't like the movie, I read the book and wasn't that impressed, but I never was a big fan of pre-70s sci-fi. Even though Dizzy was a man, Ace was an older sergeant, Radcheck wasn't his teacher, and his dad doesn't die in Buenos Aires, he joines MI and serves under his son. The book was written in 1st person, and was alot like All Quiet on the Western front, describing very little action and telling you about it like a journal.

Well I just wanted to see if you guys saw it.

They didn't have the original music though, that was my favorite part of the original movie Basil Poleudaris (or something like that), composed it, he also did one of my other favorite movie soundtracks Conan the Barbarian, and Conan the Destroyer. He also did Robocop and Hot Shots (lol!!), I can't remember what else he has done off the top of my head.

I watched it. I was actually pleasently suprised with it. It took a good idea from the SST CGI show (and a little portion from the movie, remember the radio operator? "they made him do things!"), sexified it (because, of course, every straight to video movie needs to have a little soft-core thrown in for good measure), and then told the story rather well. If you've got nothing better to do, its worth a watch.

C-ya

my sentiments exactly.

I have the unique ability to enjoy pretty much any movie known to man. if it's good, I watch it. if it's bad, I make fun of it until I get thrown out of the theatre (if applicable) and then go find some friends and make fun of it more.

Starship troopers as a novel was quite different than the movie. something about armor suits for all the soldiers?

I think that going into another Starship Troopers book vs movie discussion is really, really not nessessary. LOAF's blood preassure is high enough as is.

I liked the first one. Denise Richards.....wow! I saw an ad for Starship Troopers 2 being shown on Encore or Starz this weekend, but I missed it. I'd watch it if given another chance. Did any of the cast from the original return for the sequel?

You can frickin say that again :D

Attachments

• denise.jpg
    denise.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 152
One cast member did make it Brenda Strong, the lady who played the captain of the Carmen's ship. She didn't play the same character of course since she died when a door slammed closed with her in it. She played a hard nosed sergeant.

Oh and she played the girl the plastic surgeon was making out with in Spaceballs lol.

Anyone do the SST PC game? It was like Ground Control.. an RTS style one with some minor RPG elements and no base building or anything like that. I really quite liked that one. It had all the bugs and style of the movie.. with the power armor of the novels. Very nice package, but it sold horribly I think.

I read something on the movie that they cut out the powerarmor part of it due to budget restraints. The bugs sucked up alot of cash, but they looked good, the special effects on that movie were done very well.

Yeah, I saw the first movie (well part of it) over the weekend again and I thought the special effects held up pretty well considering the age.

I've seen the game at discount stores for about $5. It looked decent, but then I read reviews and it didn't really seem like my kind of game.

I'm surprised Casper Van D(insert random letters here) didn't do the movie. Haven't seen much of him since that horrid Tarzan movie.

I happen to think Starship Troopers is a brilliant film. I just love how violent and funny it is. It's got that quality about it that you just can keep watching it over and over. Well maybe not that much. But at any rate, I am really looking forward to the sequel. Denise Richards is overrated by the way.

ST2 is a straight to video release, right ? By the way, Empire is doing a new Starship Troopers game, a FPS.

Bandit LOAF said:
You damn kids, stay off my lawn!

If I knew where your lawn was, I would send the Pink Flamingo Brigade there to "Flamingo" you. :D

ChrisReid said:
Anyone do the SST PC game? It was like Ground Control.. an RTS style one with some minor RPG elements and no base building or anything like that. I really quite liked that one. It had all the bugs and style of the movie.. with the power armor of the novels. Very nice package, but it sold horribly I think.

I remember looking at it and thinking that it was either completely genius or abysmal. There was a dog-eared copy at EBX for God knows how long. It may still even be there - I don't know of anyone who'd really buy it.

That's intereting, how is Ground Control like SST? It looked like just another RTS clone, but now it looks more interesting.

I think the SST was really cool. Good gameplay, interesting story, dramatic missions, and some nice briefing music.

The squad tactical part is really cool. Each soldier has a name, a rank, and you equip them individually. Similar to X-Com.

I think that going into another Starship Troopers book vs movie discussion is really, really not nessessary. LOAF's blood preassure is high enough as is.

oops. sorry. so, Man, did you guys think that the WC movie was nothing like the games at all?!?! :D

Back