Starshatter: The Gathering Storm

Ptarmigan

Spaceman
I just got Starshatter: The Gathering Storm. I just played it and I am really impressed by the game. Realistic graphics and gameplay. :cool:

Wow, realistic gameplay in a space sim? What do you do, drop off satellites and repair space stations? :p

I just got Starshatter: The Gathering Storm. I just played it and I am really impressed by the game. Realistic graphics and gameplay. :cool:

The only problem I have with it is that, for some reason, I have to turn off my spyware killer/antivirus to play it. For some reason, it arbitrarily minimizes the screen about every five minutes.

It is a pretty interesting game so far, I just got it a few days ago and played it for a few hours. The only thing that I hate about the gameplay is that, whenever you run into a wing of Hegemony fighters, every single one of them ignores your wingman and turns multiple missiles onto YOUR craft. Decoys don't work half the time (yes, I throttle down and off of afterburner as the directions suggest), and they still blast me out of the sky because they KNOW that ends the mission in failure for you when they do. It's almost like, "A guy firing missiles and killing my wing? Nah, he's not important. Now charge and fire multiple missiles at their leader even though I have two on my own tail!" It's a tad ridiculous that way. Yes, WC games do this from time to time, but not on every single mission, and if they're getting shot at...wow, the AI actually tries to evade! Go figure...

But the graphics are impressive and the gameplay interesting. Even through the above stuff, I do ike the game.

I just got the game too, the thing that really gets me is the gay training instructor voice over...haha! The game seems a bit dry to me but perhaps its just the training stuff. I was surprised that there was no introductory video sequence when the game is started. My two cents, PEACE.

Starshatter is an independent game production; the team doesn't have the resources for all the glitz we take for granted today.

Personally, I find it rather refreshing.

I played a couple of training missions... The off-mission interface is a bit clunky (probably because the devs seem to be hardcore simmers:) ), but overall the game is pretty good.

I have really enjoyed The Gathering Storm so far. I think one thing I find hard to get used to is the feeling of distance. I never feel like I have actually gone anywhere in space. Sometimes I feel as if I am simply watching my ship on a 3d map instead of in the cockpit of a fighter (or the bridge of a starship).

I really like the combat though, and the planetside missions are a nice touch.

Back