StarLancer...

Nohbody

Spaceman
Is it any good? It seems that I'm going to need something to fill the void that's going to be created by the obvious discontinuation of my beloved Wing Commander series and StarLancer looks like my best bet. Just wanted to get some other hardcore WC fans' opinions about the game first. Thanks and talk to you later.

Holy Mackerol... Star Lancer is one heavy-duty game...
I hope your computer can handle it, because it is one heck of a game (no... really).

It has WC gameplay. That's always a plus in my book. Single player campaign is really worth shit, but that's offset to the immense fun you'll have playing it multiplayer.
smile.gif
It's just how I would've pictured Armada, If you'd be able to play that online.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... Tachyon is suppose to be a good game.
Hopefully, it will run on my computer though.
smile.gif

If you've noticed, the system req. for Star Lancer, etc, is pretty steep.

I didn´t like much SL. Is a good games yes but is not, and by very far, what I was waiting for. The story suck big time.

------------------
"Hasta la victoria siempre."
-El Che

...Is it the typical 'invasion of the swamp-monsters!" type of game?

[This message has been edited by Metras (edited June 08, 2000).]

No, it's more like a "Cold War in space 160 years after the Sputnik launching Ruskies are friendly towards the US."
smile.gif

Yeah. The Commie admirals even have warths with black hairs sticking out of them
smile.gif

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

And they watch scenes from the Wing Commander Movie during ship to ship battles
smile.gif

Last edited:
Metras said:
Holy Mackerol... Star Lancer is one heavy-duty game...
I hope your computer can handle it, because it is one heck of a game (no... really).

I ran it on an AMD K6/233, 32MB of RAM, and a Voodoo 1 4MB. Medium to low detail depending on the mission... A 233 with 64MB and a Voodoo 3 2k does 1024x768, full detail fine (thats what I have now)

Metras said:
...Is it the typical 'invasion of the swamp-monsters!" type of game?

[This message has been edited by Metras (edited June 08, 2000).]

No. No invading enemies appeaing from nowhere..this is the lastest section of a war that has been going on for years. Humans vs Humans battling for control of just our solar system.

It starts with what is supposed to be a peace treaty signing...but the Commies decloak a massive fleet, and destroy almost the entire French Fleet.

I thought the story was alright, not up to WC4, but alright. At least on par with Wc1. minus any character interaction though.

SL is more a Freespace kind of game. In Freespace you fly mission after mission with almost no history. You can compare that stupid bulletin of SL with the interactive plot of WC.

------------------
-El Che

Well... I happen to own both FS and FS2.
From personal experience, it has little historty involved (unless it describes out-dated ships). But instead both FS and FS2 are an ongoing storyline.

Heck, the connection between FS/FS2 is perfect. FS takes place right before, and during the Great War. Silent Threat (the FS expansion pak) takes place near the end of the Great War. And FS2 is 30 years after the end of the war.... and those pesky Shivans are back for more.

The Freespace Trilogy is just one on-going story. As for history, there is some involved, including if not relative Tech Room. Actually, the Tech Room is where you can look up on what you want about what timeline you are trying to locate.

Not bad if you ask me, considering that Volition and Interplay were entering the 'new times' when the games were made.

Yes, you are right but is not the same "historty involved" that you will find in a WC game.

------------------
-El Che

Back