Starlancer Qs/ Comments

kremling68

Spaceman
Question:-
Is starlancer out in the states yet? Its not where I get most of my US import stuff (dvdexpress)?
Anyway its out here (UK) and I just want to give my opinions:-
1. Cool FMV
2. Annoying space textures (needs more colours I think, nebulas look broken up)
3. Original ideas eg, I complete an objective and I get sucked into an artifically created wormhole just as the enemy comes out of it and find my self orbiting venus in an enemy stronghold
4. Similar ship designs to Privateer 2
5. The most fun Space combat engine EVER! Its the perfect mix between arcade speed and Wing Commander
6. Good acting from everyone except your character (every time I issue a command I shudder)
I just wish Digital Anvil would buy the rights to Wing Commander, it just isn't the same. Wing Commander had its own charm, it always managed to provoke emotions
eg when vagabond died
when dallas died (if only it were casey)
when you found out it was tolwyn
when you finally SAW Angels death

I agree, when I found out how Angel died, I was so focused and angry that i managed to beat a difficult missin in WCIV that I had not been able to beat and thus had given up on.

remember that mission to the Axius system?

------------------
In the darkness of night, One single creature lights up the sky.
Founder of Lancer Games

[This message has been edited by WildFire (edited May 03, 2000).]

Say what?? You mean you only realised Angel was dead when you got to Axius in WCIV??? That's a bit of a delayed reaction
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
QUESTION ON STARLANCER:

I had read on Gamespot that there was the possibility in the base ship to go to the bar and chat to your fellows pilots.
But I cant find this feature.
Did Gamespot dream it or doesnt come out later in the gameplay (or am I stupid and I just didnt find it?? If this is the answer, please explain me how to do it!!!!)
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Enoxigeo (edited May 04, 2000).]

I don't know, I haven't got that far yet as I cranked it upto hard when I started and the missions are fortunatley taking a fair few attempts each, however I doubt it, if you read the back it says only 25 mins of pre-renderd vid. Oh how I miss the days of mark hamill and the rest of the crew, although blowing up russians is fun too
smile.gif

It's more like 22... and 80% of that is directly taken from the Wing Commander Movie. I guess that's DA's involvement right there
smile.gif

Last edited:
kremling68 said:
Question:-
Is starlancer out in the states yet? Its not where I get most of my US import stuff (dvdexpress)?
Anyway its out here (UK) and I just want to give my opinions:-
It’s been out for almost a week.
smile.gif

1. Cool FMV
Cool CGI, but not much of it.

2. Annoying space textures (needs more colours I think, nebulas look broken up)
Nope, can’t agree on that.
3. Original ideas eg, I complete an objective and I get sucked into an artifically created wormhole just as the enemy comes out of it and find my self orbiting venus in an enemy stronghold
There are few of those, but unfortunetly the game is unoriginal in most other places.
4. Similar ship designs to Privateer 2
Some of the ships.
5. The most fun Space combat engine EVER! Its the perfect mix between arcade speed and Wing Commander
It’s fun, but because of the lack of originality, it’s not as fun as it could be.

6. Good acting from everyone except your character (every time I issue a command I shudder)
More like voice acting, which isn’t the best I’ve seen (or rather heard). The CGI characters anoy me whenever they move.

Fine you can disagree with my other points but just stop and look at some of the space effects (not the drawn ones, the colours, eg a huge patch of varying blue or orange and it is hugely broken up (and its not my 3dfx, I checked on friends PCs). Its nowhere near Wing Commander but its a damnsite better than freespace 2 or X-wing alliance.

YEAH...buy it...but u will never feel as u have felt in the WC series.

NEVER!!!!
mad.gif

I believe the game has frequently been compared to WC...
And that aching wrist feeling I get..I get that from leaning at the BlackJack tables too.
smile.gif

It sure has replaced Wing Commander for me, the lancer universe is way better than the WC universe IMO.

The all that can be said is you need help SEVERE help. It doesn't have the same gameplay, plot, character interaction just some spruced up graphics.

Zohrath said:
It sure has replaced Wing Commander for me, the lancer universe is way better than the WC universe IMO.
In what way? Better graphics does not a better universe make.
smile.gif

The Lancer universe is just developing. There's only one game in the series, and the story in it isn't nearly as good as the WC's.

Earthworm said:
Originally posted by Zohrath:
In what way? Better graphics does not a better universe make.
smile.gif

The Lancer universe is just developing. There's only one game in the series, and the story in it isn't nearly as good as the WC's.

I agree...better graphics dont make a universe better.
I think that Starlancer have the potential to become a great game...lets see how they will develope it.

Also...I've just read an interview to Erin Roberts that says they are going to put the feature that permits u to go around the ship and meet ppl in the next Starlancer game...I HOPE SO!!

I really like SL, it's a great game. I'm really liking the first few missions, on the defensive, trying to survive...but, WC3 had that.

The Engine, Music, GFX, Sound, Ships, all rock.

The lack of a storyline at least as engaging as WCP (which wasn't much) is my only major complaint, along with that wierd 3D radar. Considering they had CGI stuff all done already, why they couldn't render some CGI cutscenes is beyond me. They basiclt promised us all lots of either FMV or CGI when they announced the game, then decided to concentrate on gameplay and kill the storyline. I mean, the e-mails and the cutscene evey 6 missions in XWA give more of a story then a news briefing every day. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I have yet to finish the game, but from what I hear, there isn't much more storyline then I've already seen.

All in all, a great Space Comabat game that with funding to do FMV could have been the real sucessor to WC, but didn't make it. I still don't see how after 3 years of design and production, they end up with that little CGI/FMV stuff.

Pedro, you idiot, why SHOULD it have the same story and gameplay? It's a different universe. And considering what WILL happen earthworm, with Starlancer 2&3, which we have some info on, and Freelancer, I definately think the lancer universe is way better. It's my opinion, so respect it pedro, you little twit.

Zohrath, talking like that could get you in to trouble, just letting you know.

I got the game yesterday, it looks pretty good and the flying's nice, and those fighters with the sunburst on the wings are cool
smile.gif

I only got to level 2 but it looks like there's a story there, sort of anyway. It all happens while your flying.

Zohrath, Pedro. Calm it down. NOW! No more name-calling, no more "need help" remarks, no more nothing. Start playing nice, or else.

Oh, and frankly, I don't like the way this thread is heading. May I remind you of Rule no. 3? Go look.

Back