Star Citizen's Arena Commander Hits 1.0 (December 23, 2014)

KrisV

Administrator
Another milestone for Chris Roberts and the Cloud Imperium team: Arena Commander, the space combat simulator module for Star Citizen has reached 1.0 status. Everyone that backed the game's funding campaign can download the simulator and try a variety of single or multiplayer game modes. Version 1.0 includes a slew of new features and enhancements: several new fighter craft, new guns and missile racks, an in-cockpit user interface (the HUD), and a new game lobby for meeting up with other players. Find out more on the RSI website, or in the Wing Commander-style game manual. Meanwhile, the month of November added another $6 million in funding, for a total of $67 million from some 700,000 backers.

Arena Commander 1.0 is here! Todaya??s release marks the most significant update to Arena Commander yet, adding both the long-awaited lobby system and more than tripling the number of flyable ships. Every variant of the Aurora, Mustang, 300 and Hornet are now flyable, as are the base models of the Cutlass and the Avenger. If youa??ve been waiting to fly one of Star Citizena??s single-seaters, therea??s a good chance your ship has come in today!

Arena Commander 1.0 adds a host of new ship upgrades as well as significant enhancements to many of the gamea??s systems. Included for the first time are a ship signature system, a thruster power system, and a lateral g-force system. It contains the first iteration of the gamea??s lobby and we have launched a friends system in the game and on the RSI site to help you connect. Audio and visual effects have been updated throughout the game, with new animations, new textures, new cameras and more. You can find the complete list of changes, which range from the major updates below to dozens of game balancing changes and technical fixes, in the patch notes.

As you know, the team has been working very hard to release Arena Commander today and wea??re especially excited to publish this patch before our Holiday break. We would have ideally liked another 4-5 days of internal stress testing and polish but with everyone looking forward to some well-earned time off I didna??t want to eat into peoplea??s break. That said, being cognizant of the fact that the upcoming holidays are a time when everyone (myself included) looks forward to playing their favorite games we wanted to make sure that we released Arena Commander 1.0 for all our backers to enjoy over the holidays. With that in mind, Ia??ve opted to push todaya??s build of Arena Commander 1.0 to all of our backers today. So please, enjoy this significant update, give us your feedback, and wea??ll come back in the New Year ready to continue polishing Arena Commander and developing the BDSSE!

I would like to stress that todaya??s release of Arena Commander 1.0 is a beginning, not an ending. This milestone does not denote the completion of Arena Commander, it kicks off an even more significant phase of its development. With this update, wea??ve added a significant number of ships, items, missiles, and systems which means more interconnected systems, more servers to stress and more bugs to squash. These future changes wona??t be limited to fixing technical glitches and balance issues.

Some elements, like the initial Avenger and Cutlass, will be converted to the new modular ship component system, but we wanted long-waiting owners to get an early look at their ships. So I encourage you to experience everything wea??ve added to Arena Commander 1.0, but also to know that much, much more is in the works!

And that is where you come in! With this update, therea??s a lot more for the community to help us test. So get on the forums and share your feedback and let us know your thoughts, criticisms, and ideas on everything that wea??ve added. Every experience you report today, positive or negative, will help us make a better game tomorrow and come January 2nd, we will go back to work making Arena Commander even better.

Thank you for your continued support, and I sincerely hope you enjoy Arena Commander 1.0. I think that ita??s a great indication of where wea??re going with the Star Citizen experience. Ia??d like to close by saying Happy Holidays to backers everywhere. I wish you all the joy in the world and look forward to continuing our journey in the coming year.

- Chris Roberts

--
Original update published on December 23, 2014

Last edited:
Anyother ship recommendations Deathsnake? I tried the racing mode of Arena Commander and my one package ship definitely isn't suited to that.

As far as ships for racing go, the M50 is fast and manoeverable, but the 350r will best it in speed. There's also a Mustang racing variant. You can race in any ship but you'll really want to fly against similarly classed ships if you do.

As far as dogfighting goes, the Mustang Delta is getting good early reviews. It's a fairly nimble ship with decent teeth. The Hornet takes the cake as far as sheer firepower goes but it's more of a tank.

Anyother ship recommendations Deathsnake? I tried the racing mode of Arena Commander and my one package ship definitely isn't suited to that.

For Racing the M50, but it is not in store atm. It's Speed is at 280m/s. The Mustang Gamma is a Little big slower, 270m/s but cheaper:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/mustang/Mustang-Gamma
less armed but for racing optimal. Only the ship:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Standalone-Ships/Mustang-Gamma

Take a look:

As far as ships for racing go, the M50 is fast and manoeverable, but the 350r will best it in speed. There's also a Mustang racing variant. You can race in any ship but you'll really want to fly against similarly classed ships if you do.

As far as dogfighting goes, the Mustang Delta is getting good early reviews. It's a fairly nimble ship with decent teeth. The Hornet takes the cake as far as sheer firepower goes but it's more of a tank.

My Super Hornet deals with the Vanduuls in seconds. A Beast! The Delta is nice. If you use the 38 Dumb Fire Missiles exactly a real fighting machine. I'm a bit disappointed with the Avenger. 220m/s just a Little big faster then the Hornet but the armor is like paper. The Joker Superpunch Canons make not really damage. I see a few times that the Vanduul are slower or stays on course, a ECM weapon?

My Vanduul Score:
Super Hornet : Wave 16
Delta: Wave 11
Avenger: Wave 7

In the new Video
1.55 - the sleeping area of the Retaliator....WHERE IS MY SHIP?!!
2.29 - the Scene with the escape pod - Retaliator Commercial or from the Intro of SQ42?
2.47 to end - ähm? Mass Effect 4? :D
I hope I see soon the 890 Jump in the Hangar :D
890vs_constellation77k0zi2.png

Look in my eyes, shorty! :p
If its possible to replace the cargo room with 3 more 85X (2 are already in the bay) I need 5 slaves...öhm..pilots! for this:
test48siz.jpg

Last edited:
Got an M50 and a 350R. I haven't flown the course yet (my PC barely runs it) but I'm eager to do some test runs with other CIC'ers.

I'll modify my nick in #wingnut when I'm jumped in to the game. I'll be in the lobby but thanks to my not-so-little Android I won't be far from the lounge.

Hmm...I like that name for it...lounge...got a certain ring to it.

Have an Aurora LX myself; lovely little ship, but I'm looking forward to being able to change the appearance of my character.

I've got a Hornet, 300i, and an Aurora LN... I haven't decided if I want to switch the LN for a Mustang Delta or hold onto it for a possible Gladius CCU. Hopefully my new PC parts get here soon so I can finally get into the game with you all.

I've got a Hornet, 300i, and an Aurora LN... I haven't decided if I want to switch the LN for a Mustang Delta or hold onto it for a possible Gladius CCU. Hopefully my new PC parts get here soon so I can finally get into the game with you all.

But you have just a few days left until 5. January. Then the Delta and Upgrade gone from the store.
I reclaimed my Avenger. Not happy with it. Now I give the Gladius the Chance ;) Otherwise I use the credits on my account to push the Retaliator or 890J when the modules are in the store.

Some guys have a bug, to use it in free flight. But no damage model or AC ready but

Yeah, the delta will come back eventually, but I don't know that I want/need it when I have the Super Hornet already. But the idea of something a little faster and more maneuverable for combat does interest me. I'm just curious if you outfitted a 325 with rockets like the delta has, if that would be an equally viable option or not. I really wish I could have afforded my PC parts sooner (but such is life) and then I would have a better idea of the strengths of each ship rather than relying on reading the forums.

Its still hard to get friends in your match but it works. You have to follow a friend for an invite in your account.

Coop did not work yet :/
g9buAbe.jpg

The teammates from Gamestar Orga did not have racers, so we fly with Delta and Super Hornets :D
TJMidmd.jpg

Still CIG have some work to do. But it makes fun. We just have to make a date, when we fly a race.

Just went onto RSI and confirmed the several requests to join the CIC org. I'd forgotten to check the page since the holidays started.

My old rig, officially, can no longer run AC. At least the Hangar module, I haven't had it run stably long enough to see if I can still load up spaceflight. Plotting out an x99 build but that will take time. I'm afraid I may have to sit a few out but I will endeavor to get it running...possibly.

If not, will have to wait till I can christen my new setup...in a few months.

I'm currently with another org but it's full of..... non sim pilots to say the least. No experience, no will to practice. I've been playing Sims since I was 9 years old. (X-Wing!)

I've taken a look at the org page and I'm interested in joining fellow wing commander enthusiasts. I see that there are 81 members but many are affiliates. Is the goal not to be an active org but more of friends list? Like Serenity?

I'd say our aim is to be a bit of both. Certainly within the CIC org we might form a more active squadron of pilots while others may be involved as just fans of WC that want to play/organize with other Wingnuts.

Either posting here or dropping into #wingnut is a good place to find people who want to play more often. I'd certainly like to get a few more flight hours in, it's just a crazy time of year.

Back