Star Citizen Fan Creates Wing Commanderific Squadron 42 Box (February 1, 2016)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Illusive_Man has mocked up a pretty clever Squadron 42 box based on the classic Wing Commander 3 art. It mirrors the original fonts, backgrounds and all of the arrangement. Mark Hamill and John Rhys-Davies' positions are the same, as is the placement of the catlike alien and their exploding ships. Gillian Anderson appears to be in Flint's spot and Gary Oldman takes the place of Admiral Tolwyn. Good job!

Star Citizen "Squadron 42" PC Big Box Design - Wing Commander 3 Style:

I recently got my copy of Wing Commander 3 "Heart of the Tiger" and thought: wouldn???t it be nice to recreate this cover for Star Citizen "Squadron 42"? I???m really happy with the end result.

--
Original update published on February 1, 2016

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty cool! I hope they do some of the other boxes too, though WC3 is definitely one of the most iconic.

I think the WC1 box, despite being long before the huge sales of WC3 and 4 is the contender to beat when it comes to iconic WC boxes. I love the WC3 box, and find the WC4 one particularly bland. But when I close my eyes and think of the WC series, I think of the WC1 box first.

I think either Privateer for StarCitizen itself or like AD said, the immortal and iconic Wing Commander 1 box. You can't go wrong with that one.

True story, I bought Privateer based on the promise of the box art itself, it made my imagination run wild. It was almost my first Wing Commander game but I couldn't get it to run. I ended up having to take it back.

Because of that, Wing Commander 2 became my first and favorite of the series. Somewhere an alternate dimension version of me had a better computer and prefers Privateer. :D

So I've been very hesitant to put any money towards Star Citizen, as I'm one of the skeptics (I know, I know). Knowing this doesn't make any sense logically - that box cover makes me consider dropping some dinero for Star Citizen! Great work.

So I've been very hesitant to put any money towards Star Citizen, as I'm one of the skeptics (I know, I know). Knowing this doesn't make any sense logically - that box cover makes me consider dropping some dinero for Star Citizen! Great work.
I've been a backer since the Golden Ticket, and I don't regret a single penny spent. I threw enough money at the project to have a Super Hornet in my hangar. That said, I'm admittedly biased, but with the developments of 2.1+ release and the production of Squadron 42, I can say that this project will happen.

Regardless of how you come to "faith" in the project, as long as you have no regrets in your backing, I say you're well justified and welcome to jump on the "I believe" bandwagon.

I think the WC1 box, despite being long before the huge sales of WC3 and 4 is the contender to beat when it comes to iconic WC boxes. I love the WC3 box, and find the WC4 one particularly bland. But when I close my eyes and think of the WC series, I think of the WC1 box first.

We did the WC1 box for an early issue of Jump Point! I think no one noticed, though.

I was hesitant until late last year when it became clear that we were getting close to the Squadron 42 release. I figured that even if I only get Squadron 42 out of the deal it was worth the $30 I paid.

I haven't mucked around much with the alpha stuff but what I have played with is really impressive and full of little references that will make any Wing Commander fan smile.

I was hesitant until late last year when it became clear that we were getting close to the Squadron 42 release. I figured that even if I only get Squadron 42 out of the deal it was worth the $30 I paid.

I haven't mucked around much with the alpha stuff but what I have played with is really impressive and full of little references that will make any Wing Commander fan smile.
Honestly when I backed Star Citizen I didn't even care about the online stuff. Chris Right Roberts making a modern WC and calling it SQ 42 was all I had to hear to put in my $45 i think it was. The Star Citizen aspect is just bonus to me.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I miss the old game boxes. It brightened up my room and later my apartment :)
Of course nowadays it's barely even DVD box games anymore. I haven't purchased a physical game since GTA 5, and even then it was not planned.

Back