Standoff needs testers

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Yep, we need testers. Our current ones are too busy and Ep 4 has reached a point where what it needs the most is testing.

Apply here, tell us if you have any beta testing experience, how much time you would have to play the game, what times you are usually online, what timezone you are in, and other details you think may be relevant (ie: if your computer is really really old, or if you've had problems running Standoff before, or if you're on a dial up connection, and such).

Please don't lie to make your application look more convincing. If you turn out to be a bad tester for some reason, in a few weeks we'll blame you for all of our problems. And the game will be delayed. And it might suck, so everyone else will blame you as well. :p

We need someone who has a sharp eye - you need to find ships that spawn facing the wrong way, misspelled words, comms sent by Pilot A but voiced by Pilot B, etc. You also need to look for holes in our missions. "What happens if I skip this navpoint" or "what if I blow all my torpedoes but fail to take out the capship". You will need to test the game as much as possible (as opposed to reporting a bug and then waiting for it to be fixed or not play anymore until next tuesday because you've already done your job for that week :p), and we need you to respond quickly if we need a particular problem ironed out before we move on with a mission, or something like that. And we need to know what it is you're reporting, so you need to be able to communicate decently. No leetspeek.

I'm willing to give it a try.

No beta test experience, but I have a lot of free time right now. (Between jobs at the moment.) I can probably play two or three hours a day, I'm in the central TZ, and I'm generally on-line from 10am to 2am on and off.

My computer's fairly modern, I run Win XP, and I'm running Standoff, UE and Secret Ops without any problems. I'm on a DSL connection.

Vandrvekn@yahoo.com

Sure, I'll give it a try. If you want me.

The only Beta testing experience is for websites. I can play for at least 2 hours a day if needed. I'm usually on from 9PM to 12AM then 6-7AM EST during the week. I can be on all day on the weekends if needed.

I have a decent computer. I haven't had any problems running Standoff and UE.

Email: cam_at_delisle@hotmail.com

I helped beta test the priv remake(not sure if its good to say that, but it was a fun game) and I'm makin a fan project right now that I need to do beta testing on too, (as well as writing lines for Ranger's Glory)

I work from 3:30pm-12am pacific time but I am always online when Im awake and not at work.

I have 3 computers, one runnin win98se that doesnt work too well, another that runnin winxp sp2 with decent setup, and a laptop that I got last year brand new(also running winxp sp2). all 3 use dial up connection.

Email: van_heyden2@Hotmail.com

If you need help, as is said in Prophecy, I am "Pleased to provide assistance!"

I'd be happy and honored to help with the testing.

I work 4 days a week, and have Sun, Mon, Tues totally to myself so I will have a lot of playing time. I spend a few hours online, mostly on aim, where possible.

Work Schedule

Wens-Fri 1:30- 10PM
Sat 8am-10pm

I am working with a Dell notebook PC that is less then a year old and has been able to handle all WC games thus far.
And a HP notebook equipped with Windows Vista, that is less then two months old.

As for experience, I have only aided with fan projects, but I can usually spot problems and am very critical (I believe I aided in spotting two glitches in Standoff as well). I have a sharp eye for detail, and am a well known perfectionist. If you need proof of my attention to detail, I'd be happy to send along a few pictures of old model warships I've built.

I am in USA Eastern Timezone.

AIM: QuenAnsRevenge

I would be happy to be a tester for you.

I work five days a week.

I am available usually after 7PM est. on Thursdays, fridays and saturdays

I have beta tested, EVE online, EverQuest 2.

My Computer stats are as follows:

** 700 Watt Thermaltake -- MS - 7185 -- PCI-E NVIDIA 7950GX2 -- 1 SATA I 250 GB -- 1 SATA I -- 200GB -- 1 IDE 80GB -- 1 IDE 40GB -- 2GB Low Latency DDRI Kingston RAM (2-2-2-4-5) PC 3200 -- Hyundai 190D+ 19" Flat Screen Monitor -- 18 X DVD+RW-RW-- Windows XP 32-bit/Windows Vista x32 --AMD 4600+ X2 1GB (512x2) FSB Socket 939 **

IF you need a really old computer, mine is a pentium 200 Mhz, with 64 MB RAM (really). And of course, SO, Standoff and UE works without problems.
I don't have any beta-testing experience, but i can afford to have 2-3 hours of time to do it (maybe more in weekends).

My timezone is GMT -3 hours (I'm in Argentina)

I'll be happy to beta test.

I have beta tested several commercial games. (i.e. Genesis Rising, and Fury)

I have an extremely modern computer. I use DSL, and I can be on when you need me to be on.

I have some beta testing experience, but not so much:

programs:
Ultimatrix

Games:

Wish (I think that's what it was called... it was an online game that didn't make it)

Public Beta for Ultima Online KR (I haven't really reported much... probably because I didn't like the game and left... something that won't happen with Standoff because so far I love it :) )

Time to test the game: right now I don't have anything else to do (until september), so I have almost all week free (not weekends).

My time zone is: GMT+01:00 (I'm spanish)

My computers are:

Amd dual core 4600+
2GB of memory
Geforce 7900
WinXP

AMD 2400
256MB of memory
Geforce 5200
WinXP

(I don't use the second one much, but if it's needed to test something, it won't be a problem)

Problems running Standoff:

The only problem I seem to have is that the briefing dialogues always get cut (I don't know why)

And Lens flare do not work correctly (they have some kind of cross), but that's more of a WCP issue than a standoff one

Getting in contact with me is easy, I'm always connected to msn from 9am-10pm (even though I'm not always in front of the computer)
And I check my Email almost everyday

On the bad part.. I don't really have a "sharp eye", but anyway I'll do my best to spot anything wrong :)

I would love to give it a try. I have beta'd for Company of Heros. Also I've worked on games before and I know how important beta is. As if you go through it you'll do things the right way but what happens if you do it the wrong way or a different way.
My computer is damn good so no worries there. I have XP. A cable connection. I'm running Standoff and such pretty well.

Joeyshorty2@yahoo.com

I'll beta test episode 4 if you like?

mcken@manx.net

My computer is good enough for Standoff and I'll be able to communicate quickly and clearly.
School holidays have just began so I'm available for the next two weeks, then I am on holiday for two weeks.
I can be online anytime, so I'll play a few hours at least everyday and I'm in GMT.

And Lens flare do not work correctly (they have some kind of cross)
ATi configuration fixes this problem by selecting "Alternate pixel centre" under Direct3D compatibility options. I'm sure nVidia has a similar feature.

Pity you weren't ready a couple of months ago (or even a couple of weeks), Eder - I recently had plenty of spare time and I would love to help in proof-reading dialogue, etc. Oh well, looks like you have plenty of volunteers here...

It really is a pity, we're about a year overdue on this episode so I wouldn't mind having saved even a couple weeks. :p

We're going to pick the new testers next week, when the last actual missing files should be in place - after that, Ep 4 will be fully playable from start to finish without any (expected) crashes, which should let the testers just play over and over, trying the different mission variants and re-starting from the different endings of Ep 3 and such.

We've also been trying out some visual improvements which, among other things, will fix the lens flare texture alignment problem on nVidia cards and improve the game's framerate overall. This patch will be included in Ep 4 unless any major bugs or stability issues arise - it's a trickier thing to code than missions are, which might make it less predictable... it is a retroactive patch though, so no matter when we end up releasing it, it will update the whole game from Ep 1.

Hello, im eager to help.

Im brazilian, live on GMT -3 timezone. Usually online from 6pm till 12pm. Can play around 4 to 5 hours of standoff a day. I've been pretty idle lately so it would fit my schedule nicely.

I played previous standoff episodes without a problem on my amchine, its an athalon xp 1800+ with 712Mb ram and a geforce 4 MX 460 VB.

As far as the sharp eye, ive found some bugs on inumerous occasions on other retailed versions of WC because usually when im playing a game i like i exaust all possibilities of gameplay and storylines (dont know how many times played WC4 to see all the possible ends or how many times played the gaunlets on standoff just for the fun of playing with WC1&2 era ships on the SO engine).

thats bout it. My name is Thiago and my email is thiagomarinho@gmail.com

I'll volunteer. I have a lot of time to kill between now and when I go to college. And even in college, I should be able to spare a couple hours a week. My computer specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 1.8 Ghtz processor
2GB Ram
Nvidia FX5700 graphics card
Saitek 260 Joystick

jcd1989@vt.edu

Figure I'd throw myself out here as well. From August 19th till September 3rd I have a break from classes that I could definitely help out with. I don't have any beta experience, but I'd be willing to play every chance I could during those weeks. After that I wouldn't be able to guarantee as much play time, but I would still get it in whenever I could.

I would be running it on a Dell Inspiron 1100 2.4 GHz P4, 512 MB RAM.

e-mail: jmchale@firststrike-inc.com

We've finally completed the new version of the install package that I mentioned a two weeks ago, and that means we're also finally ready to bring new testers onboard :). I believe Eder will be making a more official announcement with a news update and everything later today.

The two testers we've chosen at the moment are Dundradal and QuailPilot. Hopefully, as soon as it's daytime in Brazil, Eder will add both of you guys to our internal mailing list, and then we'll give you a more detailed briefing about where this episode currently stands :).

Also, thanks to everybody else that posted here to apply - we may still end up needing another one or two testers when episode 5 comes around, so if you haven't been chosen now, don't be surprised if you get a message from us in a few months' time ;).

Thanks guys. Great news to wake up to post-Bday celebrations (hung over!) It's like I even got a bday present from the Standoff crew too!

Back