Split-screen games for the XBox 360

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Hi!

The most fun I have with the XBox is when I have some friends around and we play together, so I'm looking for games that support local multiplayer.

So far, we pretty much limited ourselves to fighting games (DoA4 and SC II and IV, I'll probably get myself MK vs DC universe) and racing games (PGR 3). We also played Halo2 a bit which was fun but I probably need a bigger TV for it to work well. Still, I'm open for other shooters on split screen.

I don't think I'll need any more fighting games but another fun racing game would be nice. Preferrably something not in the style of PGR 3 but more "simple fun" - does the new Burnout support local MP? Or something wacky, I don't know if there's an XBox equivalent to Mario Karts.

Very often we're three to four persons, so games that let you play with four persons at once would be good as well. I probably will look into castle crashers.

I'm not too much into sports games except wacky ones like Hyperblade or Blood Bowl but still.

So, I'd appreciate any recommendations. I don't care which genre or its age as long as it is fun, supports local multiplayer and preferrably easy to pick up since we're all more or less casual gamers now.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I even thought about getting something like Guitar Hero or Rock Band since everybody seems to love it but I shy away from the expenses. Any thoughts on that?

Well, mulitplayer is always best, but... splitscreen tends to make you cheat, especially in shooters like Halo2, since you can look at the others screen(and will)

I preferred in the old days with the xbox1 to simply set up two TV sets and play crosslink, and then i found out there is a system valid for multiplayer that supports both the original xbox and 360, called xboxconnect(no you do not need any modifications or hacks to your console whatsoever, all you need is a computer that shares the internet access through thesame router or switch with your xbox to run the xboxconnect server service).

The system uses the computers to act as supports to create a direct link between the xboxes(up to 16), with one of the computers hosting the game. It's like playing together on a LAN.

But I'm the only one of my friends in the vicinity who owns a XBox, so that is not an option. (Also, I don't have room for more than one TV and we're not too concerned with looking at the other's screen).

I highly recommend the Guitar Hero/Rock Band type games. Those are great to play with a group of people.

Gears of War 2 is pretty good split screen, same goes for Halo 3.

I highly recommend the Guitar Hero/Rock Band type games. Those are great to play with a group of people.

Gears of War 2 is pretty good split screen, same goes for Halo 3.
For the love of God, get Rock Band (If you go with this). Guitar Hero is so much worse than Rock Band.

I HIGHLY recommend Rock Band because it is a tonne of fun if you have at least 3 people in your party. In addition to the tracks on both discs (You can import the songs from Rock Band 1 into Rock Band 2 for a $5 charge) (which is about 130 or so tracks in and of itself), Rock Band also features new downloadable songs EVERY SINGLE WEEK. Currently the selection is sitting at over 500 songs and rising (Last week approximately 10 songs were released).

The gameplay is fantastic, and the music choice is varied and wonderful.

I highly recommend it.

I don't know if there's an XBox equivalent to Mario Karts.
If you own Mortal Kombat Armageddon, look up the feature "Motor Kombat", it's like Mario Karts with MK characters.

Ok, thanks so far people. Feel free for any other suggestions.

Since Guitar Hero sports a Metallica Version, I was rather inclined to get that.

How much room do I need for playing a game like Guitar Hero and Rockband? Because my room at the moment is rather limited.

That all depends on how wild you move around while playing the game. If you play it standing upricht(like intended), you'll need about 80cm freedom of movement in each direction.

I preferred in the old days with the xbox1 to simply set up two TV sets and play crosslink, and then i found out there is a system valid for multiplayer that supports both the original xbox and 360, called xboxconnect

The system uses the computers to act as supports to create a direct link between the xboxes(up to 16), with one of the computers hosting the game. It's like playing together on a LAN.

You don't need xboxconnect for this - you just need to plug all the XBoxes into a router/hub. They form a LAN on their own without a computer or software. What tunneling software like that did was enable people to play online in virtual LANs before XBox Live.

Ok, thanks so far people. Feel free for any other suggestions.

Burnout is good for two-person splitscreen. Resident Evil 5 is also excellent. Ghost Recon lets you do four people like Halo. Don't forget the Live Arcade games. Aegis Wing and Boom Boom Rocket are very popular. Carcassonne lets you do five people.

Since Guitar Hero sports a Metallica Version, I was rather inclined to get that.

There's half a dozen or so Metallica songs you can get for Rock Band.

How much room do I need for playing a game like Guitar Hero and Rockband? Because my room at the moment is rather limited.

It's pretty straightforward. You have to be able to put a small drum set down and have room for three more people who might want to swing and move around.

I know you said you didn't like sport games, but I do like how they did the camera for the game Top Spin (tennis game) for the doubles matches.

You don't need xboxconnect for this - you just need to plug all the XBoxes into a router/hub. They form a LAN on their own without a computer or software. What tunneling software like that did was enable people to play online in virtual LANs before XBox Live.

Actually no, it is an alternative, you do not need a subscription, and yes it is like a virtual lan. Ofcourse, like playing in LAN, you do not get any rank or point updates.

Thanks again. Still unsure about the music games because of the money, room and less than stellar sound system though I guess Rock Band would offer more diversity than Guitar Hero Metallica. Maybe I'll rent it for one of our meetings, see how much fun it is.

Burnout is good for two-person splitscreen. Resident Evil 5 is also excellent. Ghost Recon lets you do four people like Halo. Don't forget the Live Arcade games. Aegis Wing and Boom Boom Rocket are very popular. Carcassonne lets you do five people.

Ah, Resident Evil 5, didn't think about that.

Any particular Burnout? Carcassonne I have, BoomBoom Rocket is not so appealing for me. Aegis Wing sounds great but apparently it is not available in Germany...

I know you said you didn't like sport games, but I do like how they did the camera for the game Top Spin (tennis game) for the doubles matches.

Oh, I forgot, I got Table Tennis (it came with the XBox).

Any particular Burnout?

Burnout Paradise doesnt have split screen, but if you buy the party mode it lets you compete with times and challenges by taking turns... Other older burnouts probably have splitscreen but Paradise is a somewhat different natured game (worth a buy in my opinion).

I love the Burnout Paradise Demo, too bad it doesn't feature split screen.

Has anyone experiences with Castle Crashers? Or an alternative to Aegis Wing? (I read somewhere that if I get myself an american gamer tag I should be able to download it, Sounds too easy but I'll try it...)

Castle Crashers is a fun game with multiple people.

You are all on the same screen. It has the RPG stat element so that your character can get better in certain areas, such as attacking, or running.

There are four different colored characters each representing the element they use.

It's a fun little game, and can get quite addicting when playing with three other people.

Actually no, it is an alternative, you do not need a subscription, and yes it is like a virtual lan. Ofcourse, like playing in LAN, you do not get any rank or point updates.

And you lose the easy link up with friends that comes with Live (and Live-specific matchmaking that certain games have). The main point though was that you don't need a computer to link multiple XBoxes together.

Any particular Burnout?

I have Burnout Revenge. The sound system doesn't matter for Rock Band or Guitar Hero. The best part is making noise with your friends, not listening to the music.

I got my XBox back yesterday and I downloaded the demos of RE5, Guitar Hero: Metallica (Rock Band doesn't have a demo, at least not part 2) and Castle Crashers. I only looked into RE5 yet (which I think will be fun in coop) but will look into the others hopefully this weekend.

(...)

I have Burnout Revenge. The sound system doesn't matter for Rock Band or Guitar Hero. The best part is making noise with your friends, not listening to the music.

Ok, thanks for the info. I think Burnout Paradise now offers split screen as DLC.

EDIT: Quick question: even though I disabled the option "Automatic sign in for Live", the console always tries to sign me when I start my profile. Do I have to do something else?

IOk, thanks for the info. I think Burnout Paradise now offers split screen as DLC.

It's not splitscreen. You compete in party mode by taking turns to complete challenges etc. You win by getting the best time or most points. But it's not splitscreen. However it does to some degree satisfy the same need, in that you can play with your friends when they're over on the same system.

Party mode is fun but it limits you against some of the best online modes. You can't 'takedown' your friends in party mode for example. The best Burnout paradise has to offer is still over Live, which is a blast as it is. I wouldn't buy it *just* for 'party mode.' The regular online is great and there's a ton of unlockables and exploration and racing etc in single player mode to keep you occupied for a long time.

If all you're interested in though is splitscreen games to play with friends then Revenge is probably the better option. For everything else, plus party mode, I would go for Paradise.

Oh, thanks for the warning. Then I'm going for Revenge (probably cheaper too) since split screen is really what I seek.

Back