Spaceships Universe. Wing Commander Tribute.

Arraen

Captain
Colleagues, in my free time I am developing new game based on the Wing Commander Universe. I am fond of this game and would like to show you my groundwork as I do it primarily for the same fans like me.

It is important for me to know if this game would be interesting and if it is worth to continue my work.
So, small description:

Wing Commander.
With these words many gamers especially of old school imagine space battles where they command space fighters. Battles between people and intelligent cats thrilled gamers for many years. Saga has a lot of official parts and also numerous fans’ modes developed universe for long time. And despite the fact that opposition between people and kilrathi is over the universe turned to be so multiform that it continues to live. This project is a tribute to this great game and to some extent - its development.

So, full game name is Startship Tactics. Wing Commander Tribute. Unlike the original idea of the saga as steering space fighter or bomber the game provides the opportunity to control main ships of space fleet – corvettes, destroyers, cruisers and even battleships. Huge ships will fight for stars systems. In the game there will be an opportunity to control separate ship systems such as canon and missile armaments, radars, engines and reactors.

Another special feature of this project is a multiplayer. Probably it will be the first opportunity to fight on kilrathi’s side and re-write history by capturing Earth and overwhelming Terran Confederation. Multiplayer is based on the principle of separate rooms where each room is a battle for separate star system.

It is planned to implement three sectors in the game: Sol, Vega and Kilrah. Battles will expand for star systems. Their occupation will help to reach main aim – enemy’s home planet.

Gamer will have an opportunity to develop his/her avatar to control bigger ships, receive experience in order to inflict more damage and shoot accurately.

Now the game is on the stage of active development, so many of its aspect will change and a lot will be added. But main idea will remain unchanged: its time for killrathi to re-write history and for people – to defend Earth again and to win a victory in Kilrah’s system.

Please do not criticize visual effects too much as I am a developer but not a 3D artist :)

Currently the following items are ready:

- authorization in the game;
- screen for selection the battle system (half of the Sol sector is ready);
- hangar screen with the choice of the rockets and equipment;
- 3 ship models (cruiser Tallahassee, dreadnought Hvar'kann, cruiser Fralthi II). They were taken from Internet and modified for game needs.
- dattle for star system.

Any thoughts and reasonable criticism are very welcome.

01.jpg 02.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.JPG 08.JPG

Last edited:
Well, guys, sorry for long term delay.
Now I have some updates.
First, I finished map of Sol sector. You can see it at screens. Green systems are frendly, red - were occupied by kilrathi.
Second, game is almost fully playable. It means you can:
- logon with test account,
- choose side (TC or KI),
- choose your predefined ship (for now only 1 ship for each side),
- choose system for battle,
- fire missiles and laser shells at another player or system's main base
- check results of the battle which are stored at DB.

09.JPG 10.JPG

Next I want to improve GUI and battle mode (update visual effects, ship physic).
Any comments are welcome as usual :)

Arraen. If you want to use anything for this project or yours then give me a shout or pm me your email addy with any requirements.

Thanks, guys. It's really important to see that you are doing something interesting for other people :)

For now my very big issue is to do (or to find :) ) good 3d models of ships. I'm currently working at very old models (you can see it at screens above) for giving them a new life. But it's quite hard for the developer :)
If someone can tell me where I can find models it will be a great.

Some updates of Tallahasse cruiser. For now it's my version of "old lady" with antennas and new missile launchers.
Sure, model is far away from ideal but work is in progress.
Also new Earth with atmosphere. How do you like it?
12.JPG 13.JPG 14.JPG

Earth looks lovely. :)

If you'd like to have high quality models, I'd like to recommend the models found in WCSaga: The Darkest Dawn. Maybe the team, especially the modeler, will allow you to use those models. But I would kindly ask first. Tolwyn and Scooby_Doo don't bite. :)

Hey Arraen, what sort of engine is this game being developed in? Is it a mod of another game or a generic foundation that you are using as a template? Something else?

Also, is the name of the game "Startship Tactics," or should it be Starship?

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Amazing work! I always dreamed a game controlling a fleet and battle. I did try to make one 2 years back but didn't have the knowledge or the time to go on. I am very happy that someone else does :) Keep up the good work and if I could help in any way just ask.

Arraen,
First of all, this is not a humble project. This looks awesome! I look forward to seeing more of your work. Keep it up and don't loose steam.

Is this Multi-player only or single and multiplayer? And ANY time I get to kill monkeys in the name of Sivar, its a welcome game!! I also agree with Savage, this aint a humble prospect! Quite ambitious and looking forward to seein it!

Sorry for delay with answers, guys. Firstly thanks to all of you for your comments.

Hey Arraen, what sort of engine is this game being developed in? Is it a mod of another game or a generic foundation that you are using as a template? Something else?
Also, is the name of the game "Startship Tactics," or should it be Starship?
Keep up the good work!

I'm using Unity3d. With all of it's pros and cons. It will be fully separate game. I have not decided yet what platform I will use, PC or WEB.
As for the name of the project it's not finale. It can be Starships or something else.

Is this Multi-player only or single and multiplayer? And ANY time I get to kill monkeys in the name of Sivar, its a welcome game!! I also agree with Savage, this aint a humble prospect! Quite ambitious and looking forward to seein it!
Primarily I'm focused on creating multiplayer because it allows to avoid development of AI and gives the opportunity to create playable version quicker. So it means to kill monkeys in the name of Sivar quicker :)

Next I want to create 2-4 models of the ships. I need 2 corvettes (kilrathi and terran) and maybe 2 destroyers (1 for kilrathi and 1 for terran for game balance). And after that technical demo can be released.
It will be playable version despite the fact that some bugs will still need to be fixed. :)

Just want to show you "first beta version" of kilrathi corvette. :) I know it far from ideal but work in progress.
kilrathi_corvette.JPG kilrathi_corvette2.JPG
It will be initial ship class for players who will choose Kilrathi side. Only three laser turrets and poor shields as weapons. I think it will be good "gun meat" in battles :)

I continue creating content for the game. Today I want to present next ship -Venture class corvette. It will be starting class for Terran Confederation players.
So for now 4 ships are ready in the game. 2 corvettes and 2 cruisers. I think it will be enought for beta version.
venture.JPGventure2.JPGventure3.JPG

looks good but I think maybe the "wings" on the venture need to be a bit lower?
Well, maybe you're right, in latest versions we will have opportunity to modify models. And it will be more than one iteration :)
It's more important to start testing ASAP.\

Back