Space sim games (SW Episode II Spoilers)

True enough, however, until the movie comes out to see what Lucas exclusively intends, we can only go on what we've been given so far. :)

Originally posted by LeHah

Keep in mind, up until Episode 2, Owen Lars was always refered to as Obi-Wan's brother; it's stated directly on the Decipher Star Wars CCG. Now we know he's actually Anakin's step-brother.

It was never stated the Obi-Wan was Owen's brother. In Ep IV Luke is cleaning R2 and finds the message meant for Obi-Wan. Luke thinks R2 is referring to a hermit by the name of Ben Kenobi (Obi-Wan of course). And Luke always refers to Owen as his uncle. Luke knows he had a father but was lied to about Anakin's past by Owen in order to keep Luke in the dark about his actual lineage.

Keep in mind, up until Episode 2, Owen Lars was always refered to as Obi-Wan's brother; it's stated directly on the Decipher Star Wars CCG. Now we know he's actually Anakin's step-brother.
Say WHAT!?
That's a new one. I have never, ever heard of Owen Lars as being Obi-Wan's brother.

Just because it said "Anakin falls into lava" in one or two books (which, no matter how good they are, are not offical continuity unless they're the movie or, believe it or not, the NPR Radio Dramas), doesn't mean Lucas intends for it to be that way. He'll probably change it.

No novels involved in the 'falls in lava' theory. This is a theory that's been floating around since long before the post RotJ novels. It may even pre-date RotJ itself. Where it came from, I don't know. I just know its pretty ancient, as these things go.
Of course, then again, so were the theories about the clones, and those theories are on life support at the moment.

I'll write more on this after my lecture... :)

Originally posted by Naféasonto
Oh well that spoiled Episode 3, doesn't matter the script is everwhere, and it was in a magazine about the 3 prequel movies, I lost it though...
"Script"? AFAIK, the script for Episode III is only being written, and even it was already finished, who in their right mind would release it? I've seen dozens of so-called 'scripts' floating around on the 'net before Episode I - none of them came even close.

Originally posted by Marcml30
At the end of EP2, what was that gel stuff covering Anakin's hand? Synthetic skin? Robotic lubricant?

I think that was just the light reflecting off of a temporary synthetic arm. It looked too robotic to be a permanent replacement like that of Luke's hand at the end of Empire Strikes Back.

Originally posted by junior
That's supposed to be why Vader is mostly machine, and why he needs the built-in life support systems in his suit.
I'm just wondering... since the Force is from life and living things, wouldn't losing his body parts diminish Vader's Force strength? I know the Force obviously affects non-living objects, but isn't the source of the Force (eww, listen to that rhyme) only from living material?

Originally posted by Ghost
The Chef in the restaurant...
Thanks.

Originally posted by junior
I have never, ever heard of Owen Lars as being Obi-Wan's brother.
Nor I.

Originally posted by Mav23
I think that was just the light reflecting off of a temporary synthetic arm. It looked too robotic to be a permanent replacement like that of Luke's hand at the end of Empire Strikes Back.
I think it's permanent. Why only have a half-job at your wedding? My guess is that prosthetics technology might not be as advanced as it was when Luke had his hand lopped off, else surely Vader would have slightly more... human looking machine replacement. Or perhaps he uses his machinery as to inspire fear into his subjects. In any case, I don't think 'synthflesh' or whatever has been developed yet at that point.

Originally posted by Wedge009
I think it's permanent. Why only have a half-job at your wedding? My guess is that prosthetics technology might not be as advanced as it was when Luke had his hand lopped off, else surely Vader would have slightly more... human looking machine replacement. Or perhaps he uses his machinery as to inspire fear into his subjects. In any case, I don't think 'synthflesh' or whatever has been developed yet at that point.
There are many plausible explanations as to why he would have a half-job at his wedding. But we know that whatever it is (or is supposed to be) at the end of EP2, it eventually does become the robotic hand because Luke cuts it off at the end.

Maybe it is a temperary replacement, maybe not. If it is temperary, it may take longer to create a life-like replacement. Whereas, twenty odd years later replacements can be made much quicker. Who knows, we'll eventually find out in Ep III.

As to the thing on the Force, yes the Force is create by living things, but all objects living or non-living leave some sort of presence in the Force. Since Vader is more machine than man it would diminish his living presence in the Force but would not affect his ability to use the Force because he has become a master of the dark side. It's all a matter of the mind.

Now we know he's actually Anakin's step-brother.
Half-brother.
Originally posted by Wedge009
I'm just wondering... since the Force is from life and living things, wouldn't losing his body parts diminish Vader's Force strength? I know the Force obviously affects non-living objects, but isn't the source of the Force (eww, listen to that rhyme) only from living material?
The Force is, one doesn't create it, one simply manipulates it. Losing a limb, or most of one's limbs wouldn't affect one's ability to control the Force and use it.

Originally posted by Frosty
Half-brother.

I could be wrong, but I got the definite impression that Owen Lars was roughly the same age as Anakin. That would suggest that he was the product of a previous relationship that Cleg Lars had. Unfortunately, I don't remember any statements either way in the movie.

Even if Owen is the product of another marriage, when Anakin's mother (Schmi, I think) and Owen's father (forgot his name) married, Owen would have become Schmi's son. Thus, Owen is Anakin's half-brother.
(I think) :confused:

half-brother
n : a son of your stepparent by a former marriage [syn: stepbrother]

From the dictionary definition above, I don't believe there is a distinction between half-brother and step-brother although I've always thought that the former implied blood relation. I think in this case though that Anakin and Owen are related by marriage not by blood.

Originally posted by Marcml30
half-brother
n : a son of your stepparent by a former marriage [syn: stepbrother]

From the dictionary definition above, I don't believe there is a distinction between half-brother and step-brother although I've always thought that the former implied blood relation. I think in this case though that Anakin and Owen are related by marriage not by blood.

Correct.
A half-sibling is someone with who you share a single biological parent. A good example of this is a man or woman who has a child with one partner, and then later has another child with a different partner. The children would be half-siblings.
A step-sibling is someone whom you are legally related to, but not biologically related to. A good example of this would be the Brady Bunch.
Another example (and one that wouldn't cause a sachirine induced gag-reflex) would be Cher and her 'brother' (whose name escapes me) in "Clueless". Cher lives with her father, who has had multiple marriages. Her 'brother' lives with them, as well, and gained that status because his mother married Cher's father after the 'brother' had been born. Of course, since his mother and Cher's father have since divorced, I'm not sure if the two would still be step-siblings or not.

It's possible that the elder Lars had a previous wife. When Shmi was buried there were already two other headstones which to me implies that that there was another person who died on the Lars homestead, possibly Lars' previous wife, and by the looks of it a smaller child also died because of the smaller headstone that was there as well.

From Attack Of The Clones
Anakin: I'm Anakin Skywalker
Owen: Owen Lars... this is my girlfriend Beru.
Beru: Hello.
Padme: I'm Padme.
Owen: I guess I'm your step-brother. I had a feeling you might show up some day.

I just watched that part of the AOTC bootleg on my desktop.

I just watched that part of the AOTC bootleg on my desktop.

I really didnt like StarWars episode 2 .The new ones are not as the old ones.They are too Ultra-Heroic-1manarmy-Rambo-I killem all-Style.:D
I hope I managed to make you understand what I mean;)

Yeah, because craping a starbase of 80 km diameter and killing more than 10000 person with one torp isn´t that Rambo style
or maybe a bunch of Ewoks with 15 humans, taking an outpost or rescuing a princess inside a superstation filled with troops isn´t Rambo-ish....

Back