Sosa / Blair WC4 Novelization

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
This isn't something that bothered me so much as it is something thats never been especially detailed. The Wing Commander IV novelization uses Sosa as Blair's love interest, while in the game Sosa was enamored with Lt Carter. While they're both correct, which one do we defer to? Sosa is never mentioned again, Blair reappears in Prophecy and the whole thing is dropped - even after the pesudo-romantic ending of the novel.

We've normally said that the books are as legit as the games, but in this case, which is the fact and which is the truth?

My guess is that the book is correct, especially since Wing Commander IV had so many paths and potential endings.

Been a while since I read the book but didn't Blair also have "relations" with a Kilrathi in it? I don't know with any certainy how much of that book can really be considered canon. I think WC4 love interests and I think Sosa>Catscratch, even though I have read the WC4 novel. I mean, in the novelization Catscratch and Vagabond don't even defect with Blair as far as I remember.

Space Point

I would say that they're not mutually exclusive - Sosa can be attracted to two different people. In so far as we know, no actual relationship results of either flirtation...

Edited to comment on:

Been a while since I read the book but didn't Blair also have "relations" with a Kilrathi in it?

No, he didn't - Melek gives him a concubine as a standard courtesy, but they don't... do that. It's more of a 'haha, what an awkward culture shock' bit than it is a creepy inter-species sex thing.

In so far as we know, no actual relationship results of either flirtation...

True, though given how heavy-handed Sosa was when she admitted her attraction to Blair, he'd be stupid to pass it up.

I just found it odd how we have so many "conflicting" details about certain second-string players in WCIV - Catscratch is barely in the book and may or may not die in the game, Vagabond has a paragraph in the book and dies in the game, Sosa goes with Catscratch in the game and Blair in the book, Maniac is his "usual self" in the game but seems to be a little more "adult" in the book. I realize that this is simply because of Borst/DePalma writing versus Forstchen's treatment and Keith's writing but it creates interesting opposing ideas.

True, though given how heavy-handed Sosa was when she admitted her attraction to Blair, he'd be stupid to pass it up.

Point of fact, though, he *does* pass it up... every time it's hinted at in the course of the book. It's entirely possible that Blair and Sosa do have an affair or a one night stand or whatever we're hinting at (after the book) - but does it really matter for either character?

I just found it odd how we have so many "conflicting" details about certain second-string players in WCIV - Catscratch is barely in the book and may or may not die in the game, Vagabond has a paragraph in the book and dies in the game, Sosa goes with Catscratch in the game and Blair in the book, Maniac is his "usual self" in the game but seems to be a little more "adult" in the book. I realize that this is simply because of Borst/DePalma writing versus Forstchen's treatment and Keith's writing but it creates interesting opposing ideas.

The Wing Commander IV book was Ben Ohlander, not Andrew Keith. There's *some* sort of story to the project that we don't know yet... the book was delayed by half a year because of content issues that were never disclosed.

No, he didn't - Melek gives him a concubine as a standard courtesy, but they don't... do that. It's more of a 'haha, what an awkward culture shock' bit than it is a creepy inter-species sex thing.

Chances are very very very good that you're right, but we don't absolutely positively know 100% that they didn't do that.

Didn't Blair have an issue with Sosa's age? I remember it being a pretty strong point of the novel that Blair felt like a dinosaur.

Chances are very very very good that you're right, but we don't absolutely positively know 100% that they didn't do that.

Shut up.

Didn't Blair have an issue with Sosa's age? I remember it being a pretty strong point of the novel that Blair felt like a dinosaur.

Yeah theres a paragraph about how Blair realizes its just another May-December relationship like it was with Rachel. (I havent read a WC book in a while. Maybe now is the time)

It's also worth noting that Sosa's crush on Blair is apparently because she thinks he's Jason Bondarevsky... :)

My understanding is that Ben Ohlander didn't know that Blair and Bear were different people... so when Sosa is confessing that she had a crush on Blair, she mentions that it was because he saw a TV show about how he and his pilots attacked the shipyards at Kilrah. :)

(There's a few other similar references - I wonder if that's why the book was delayed... it's possible that Ohlander read the first set of Wing Commander novels and assumed TPoF was to have the same hero.)

My understanding is that Ben Ohlander didn't know that Blair and Bear were different people... so when Sosa is confessing that she had a crush on Blair, she mentions that it was because he saw a TV show about how he and his pilots attacked the shipyards at Kilrah. :)

(There's a few other similar references - I wonder if that's why the book was delayed... it's possible that Ohlander read the first set of Wing Commander novels and assumed TPoF was to have the same hero.)

Ummm....these things happen, you know :)

Back