Some thoghts...

I know Bossman
smile.gif
I don't see what he has to do with Maniac. Must...sleep.

------------------
Briceland
Support the WCESRP
A wingmen is essential; they give the enemy something else to shoot at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bossman was a good pilot, and we all were saddened when his life was terminated in the Firekkan system (WCI:SM2). He was a good pilot and comparing him to Maniac is. . .not right. My thoughts on this?

Hmmm. . .Maniac as a commander. . .

*Reaches over, picks up a bottle of Vodka and proceeds to down it in the bottle*

That's better.

Death's Head said:
The only thing Maniac has going for him is catering to the Media.
Well... That and making up good stories.

He isn't much of a pilot anymore, at least from his current AI. Although the killboard makes him out to be much more effective.
Until you actually fly with him. Then he's as great as the rest of them. *L*

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

Jeeze, you people just don't take instructions very well, do you?
smile.gif
Since you don't seem to want to look at your manual, listen...

[Transcript from Bossman's file]
Major Chen Kien is known as Bossman to the spacecrews, but that wasn't always the case. "When I was young - er, younger - they called me Ripper; my old friends still do. I was a lot like Hunter, pushing everything to the limit. But I might have been a little too good, or at least lucky, at it. When I started burying young pilots who had been killed for behaving like me, I decided to give them an example that would not get them blown out of space. That is when they started calling me Bossman."

[Transcript complete]

And if we don't have this manual...
wink.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Than you're screwed Dralthi....

Quarto, even though Riper was crazy/lucky whatever, I doubt that he was anything like Maniac. In that quote Bossman himself said he was a lot like Hunter. Hunter was somewhat crazy, but he was a good pilot and dependable at all times. Maniac wasn't that way, at least not most of the time.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Surrender your Beer, or we'll take it by force.

The point is, he flew crazy and pilots died. Maniac flies crazy and pilots die. Ergo, if Maniac decided to change his style, then pilots wouldn't die. And he could command a squadron happily ever after. Not that he wants to, of course...

Nope, pilots would still die. "It's a war, people die every day."
smile.gif
Even Bossman himself was converted to debris. I don't have the manual Q, it's on loan.

------------------
Briceland
Support the WCESRP
A wingmen is essential; they give the enemy something else to shoot at.

Actually, something occured to me while reading all these posts- Maniac may already be on the road to becoming the 'Bossman'. Look at how he was behaving in WCP when Beta wing got shot up, then when the two rookies he was with got killed. Personally, I think he's starting to realize his flying style is getting people killed. *shrugs* Or I'm on some high-grade crack, either way.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"Building ships, harvesting and transporting Flowers, cooking up the Protoculture, and assembling weapons systems just hadn't been enough for them. Not when word had gotten around that the Terrans' homeworld had fallen to the Invid. Jack liked it-the loyalty and Espirit de Corps, the Sentinels' way with payback." -- Robotech: The Sentinels #5, 'Rubicon'

But look at how he felt when Rosie Forbes died in the movie.. Or when he accidentally blew up a Drayman full of humans in Secret Missions.. Or when most of his squadron got shot to hell in Special Operations..

Com'on, admit it. Everyone else here has enjoyed all the times they were hotshots. It's fun, we just grew up, that's all. Maniac isn't a bad guy, he just hasn't matured yet. Think back to when you started playing. Didn't you just wanna kill cats? Forget what the mission is, just go out there and blast those other fighters and ships into kitty litter? No, he isn't my first pick for a squadron leader, but his heart is in the right place.

If the answer is no to these questions, then you could be WAY too serious about this game. That or it's the fact I started playing WC1 when I was 10, so it could also could just be me.

These are my thoughts,

DeltaKiller

Just kill cats? Hell, the first time I played Wing Commander I started shooting up everything-- Bluepoint, the Lexington...

One other thing: Maniac acts like a jackass until someone gets hurt, then after a while he gets over it and acts like a jackass some more. Fin. Plus, I think his character changed somewhat after Tom Wilson began playing him. In Special Operations check him out-- Blood shot eyes, skull earring, he's a badass, a maniac! Then in Wing Commander 3 he's a big slob who serves no purpose save for comic relief. That's not quite the case in Wing Commander 4, but I think you get my point.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Finally got my computer back (wasn't that long after all...
wink.gif
), excpt that damm ICQ
mad.gif
but I'll deal with that later...

Anywho, Maniac's part in prophecy never seemed right to me- I thought it was a time to develov his character, especially facing the condition. And what about him working with the CAG after prophecy (I remember reading something in the SO manual), that's might be a sign for yet another *real* change in him...

biggrin.gif

------------------
Evilution!

Back