Some questions about specific ships

Nemesis

Spaceman
After reading some of the threads and going through my own limited WC materials, I was left with some questions about specific ships:

1. What sources (games, guides, novels, etc.) identify the TCS Victory or its "40 series" kin as Ranger-class?

2. Claw Marks refers to "Terran and Kilrathi destroyers, cruisers, dreadnaughts, carriers, and bases" (p.28). What were Confed's dreadnoughts at the time of WC1? The Concordia-class Supercruiser would seem to qualify given its description in The Confederation Handbook as "the largest battleship in Confed's fleet" (p.32). Do we know of any others?

3. Relative to the "Dreadnoughts" thread that states the Confederation-class entered service in 2657, TCH notes that "a replacement carrier" for the Bengal-class is in development for "a scheduled rollout no later than 2657" (p.34). Do we take this to be a reference to the Confederation-class (or to what became the class)? Regardless, what sources peg 2657 as the year the Confederation-class did enter service?

4. What sources mention the TCS Confederation and its designation CVS-14? Also, do we know the reason why the TCS Confederation is 14 and the TCS Concordia is 65? Is there some material difference between the ships?

5. Do we know what year the TCS Concordia entered service? (Apparently not later than 2661 given Tolwyn's statement in Fleet Action that he has commanded the ship for seven years (p.23).)

6. Is there a reason the TCS Winterrowd would have a stand-out reputation in the last several years leading up to and including 2669?

7. Is the carrier TCS Valiant mentioned in any source other than "Privateer"? (I note that it is not on the CIC's ship list.)

8. The CIC ship list attributes the carrier TCS Kinney to "Privateer", but I can't find the reference in the game. Could someone point me to it?

1. Action Stations.
2. Only the battleships mentioned in Action Stations.
3. That's it.
4. The WC2 box, no and no.
5. 2656
6. The TCS Winterrowd was where the trial for the first Mandarins was held.
7. The Valiant appears on the ship list, as the nameship for the Valiant class Destroyers -- a reference from Fleet Action.
8. The TCS Kinney is from a bartender conversation.

Weren't the first Mandarins caught giving out Confed info to the Cats on the Winterrowd?

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

I'm sure LOAF has something like this somewhere, but I'd like to get my hands on a list of all the Confederation capital ships... ever. I've got a list of all the ones from Secret Ops. But going through the other games and the books will take forever. Can anyone help?

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

LOAF did indeed made several lists like that. I'd look through the archives, it should be there. Or you could try searching through the ship database. The link could be somewhere in there.

LOAF keeps all of his pointless information locked tight in his brain. Except the ship list you're talking about, of course, which can be found here.

I was tres tired this morning (I'd spent the night before telling the entire story of the Kilrathi war to Lisa... she asked), so let me go into more detail on some of these issues...

The Winterrowd was a ship in the Vega Sector where the first two Mandarins were captured giving information to the Kilrathi (told to us by Iceman in SM2) and where their trial was held (told to us by Downtown in WC2). The moral of this story is, don't tell Blair about the Winterrowd or you'll end up dead.

1. The Ranger class is mentioned in Action Stations as being a type of light carrier active at the beginning of the war (A Ranger was sent to Facin)... the Victory entered service at that same time, so when Captain Johnny was trying to figure out names for all the WC3 era ships, we suggested Ranger -- he liked it, and the rest is history...

3. I don't believe a definate date can be establlished, but I will give you some important facts regarding the Concordia...

o The Kilrathi Saga manual includes transfer orders dated 2656 for various pilots to the Concordia. We cannot say for certain whether this is the Concordia Supercruiser or the Confederation Dreadnought.

o Tolwyn's flag is onboard the Austin in SM1.5/SM2 -- possibly indicating that the Concordia Supercruiser is no longer around.

o Tolwyn commanded the Concordia starting in 2661 -- a possible commisioning date.

o A new class of strike capable carriers was to enter service in 2657.

My best guess would be that the 2656 transfer orders refer to the Supercruiser, that the Confederation classes started entering service in 2657 and that the Concordia herself entered service in 2661.

7. Oh, you're right, the TCS Valiant is a carrier, and not the same as the TCS Valiant mentioned in FA. I'll add it to the list later.

8. The Kinney is from a bartender conversation in *Rightous Fire*, not Privateer. Another Confederation capital ship destroyed by the Kilrathi.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's quite a swanky image/rank you have there LOAF.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

I get annoyed by the repetitions of the bartenders' speeches, but I didn't catch any mention of the TCS Kinney. My loss I guess. And LOAF, that Baron thing looks crazy.

Hello LOAF. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

The Winterrowd remains a minor mystery. (The "Mandarin" history was all that I could recall about the ship, but I wondered if there was anything else.) What prompted my question was the remark by the bartenders in "Privateer" following the destruction of the (or at least a) TCS Winterrowd by the Drone: "[F]rom what I hear, the Winterrowd wasn't all she was cracked up to be." A trivial statement, but still curious. We could probably imagine several explanations.

Regarding the "CVS-14" designation, I don't have the WC2 box, but was able to find my jewel case for the Deluxe Edition that shows an angled topside view of a ship with a "14". Don't know, though, if it's the same graphic that's on the box. Query: Does the box's graphic confirm the ship has a Phase-Transit Cannon?

And speaking of the PTC, I note the KS Manual lists the service date as 2653. The implication (barring an editing mistake) is that Confed developed an original, functioning version of the PTC that was later "refined" based on analysis of the Kilrathi weapon. If so, I assume we don't know how or in what form this original PTC "came into service" in 2653?

Back