(Some minor) technical issues

Prometheus

Spaceman
I've now been playing Standoff (mainly the Simulator though, I'll catch up with the campagin soon enough, no worries) for quite a while, and I'm overall very pleased and excited about this mod. Also I had the thought that many a commercial games would have crashed dozens of times already and had made me jump to some other hoops, but not so with Standoff. Thumbs up for that!

However, I did have some crashes, they only happen very occasionally, but I wonder if it may be a known problem with some easy adjustments I could make to fix it. Just in the middle of the action the application quits to the desktop and throws a Fatal error reading "dinput::fetch2 fell out of loop" (or very similar to that). I already searched older thread and all I found was that it's a joystick related issue.
So, maybe this is the problem: I'm still using a Gameport-Joystick. It's a Microsoft Sidewinder and works perfectly fine with everything except DOSbox.
Well, if there isn't a fix for that, I propably can live with it as these crashes are far in between. However, they appear to be only happening when the enemy is directly in my sights, sometimes firing at me, and maybe I just fired a missile each time it happened but I am not sure.

So, speaking of the simulator, propably these are known bugs and I can see how they don't deserve any priority, but I mention them quickly just in case: First off, when you die in Kilrathi and Confed Gauntlet, most of the time the display of the wave you died in is wrong. For example, if I die in wave 4, it will say "You died at wave 5" in circa 80% of the cases. Second thing is, if you do Simulator Mission 4, Rescue Support, on Difficulty Level 3, and after killing all enemy fighters, when it tells you the mission is successful, you go after the Fralthi instead of auto-ing back immediately, the Rescue Shuttle will follow in your formation and most likely be shot down - yet you still get credit for a succesful mission.

Maybe a similar thing, but striking me as more weird, is something I just experienced: I beat Simulator Mission 3 (The Q Ship) on Difficulty Level 3. In addition to the Gold Level Achievment (my overall skill setting is "Hero") I got awarded a Gold Star for "Quick Ace" here on the scoreboard. However, the message box at the end of the simulator showed "Max. kill chain: 1", but for Quick Ace you require 5. Is it just like with the waves that the message box displays wrong information? Or didn't I deserve the Gold Star after all? ;)

Maybe it has something to do with me using the Mace missile in the mission? Note also the displayed missile accuracy of 5%, which is not mathematically possible.

I've experienced a number of bugs in the Simulator scoring too, though it's difficult to track the various causes. It's possible that the hacks used in the Mace missile would have an unintended effect on the scores as well.

This is actually perfect timing. The team was just exchanging emails about fully patching Standoff to make it 100% done. And Q asked if there were any new bugs....well here's a few right here :p

Maybe we can meet up on IRC sometime this week to talk about them more. Maybe I can get Pete to put aside a little time to talk with you as well, since this would be in his area.

Dund, you might recall that my brother made a list of various things - some minor, some not so much - that were broken. Are those still in the list of candidates for fixing?

They still are. This winter was pretty hectic for the whole team, so we weren't able to do too much. Pete especially had a tough schedule, you may of noticed his lack of face time here. He's pretty busy up there in the cold north woods.

Hoping to get something out for you guys before the fall at least. Or I'll be on a jet-setting trip around the world to smack the team in the back of the head :p

Maybe we can meet up on IRC sometime this week to talk about them more. Maybe I can get Pete to put aside a little time to talk with you as well, since this would be in his area.

Any particular date/time you would suggest? Of course I don't really have much to talk about (basically I've written everything in the post above), but I can go and try to reproduce that stuff a couple of times and try noting down any "patterns" in the time until our chat...
But with the joystick crashes, I've no idea how to reproduce that intentionally, they always happend completely suddenly.

Hehe, you, who cannot afford a decent graphics card? :p

No, my current motherboard doesn't have a modern enough PCI slot to fit the really nice gfx card I do have remember :p

I'll charge the flights on the Standoff corporate card. :D

Any particular date/time you would suggest? Of course I don't really have much to talk about (basically I've written everything in the post above), but I can go and try to reproduce that stuff a couple of times and try noting down any "patterns" in the time until our chat...
But with the joystick crashes, I've no idea how to reproduce that intentionally, they always happend completely suddenly.

Mostly I'm concerned with how you produced the bug. Sometimes people forget small things when posting here, so I just want to be sure I've got 100% when I add it into BZ (or I'll have to hear from that wise ass guy again :p )

I have tomorrow completely open all day. I'll just be grading and usually I log onto #wingnut and leave it in the background. Thursday after 12pm EST also works.

Back