Some help with med

Adm_maverick

Rear Admiral
Okay, so I'm working on a project and I told about the MED tool that CIC got a hold of a few years back. It was suggested I could use this to script out cut scenes. Cool, so asked some questions, got pointed to the dev backup iso. Downloaded it, mounted it, starting searching through it. Found what I'm fairly certain is the program I'm being told about.

So short version I'm encountering a lot of problems with the program and I'm hoping someone can help me.

So first thing, when I first launch the program I get a window that reads:

include path(s) not found:

d:\Prophecy\data\mission

Okay, so I go ahead and copy the prophecy\data folder over to D drive. It's not a big deal and that solves that little hick up.

Next I would like to open INTRO.mis. I've been informed that this is the intro cut scene from Secret Ops. The one where Midway is at earth and the Cerberus is christened. Looks like it'd be a real good mission to take apart and see how cut scenes work.

So load up DOSbox, mount the directory with the tools and the missions.tre from SO, extract everything, copy the files over to the d:\Prophecy\data\mission directory. No biggie. I got to open intro.mis.

I get a series of 22 windows that read:

Error: unknown command id

Program::load()

with an 'ok' button. I can click through them and on the very last one I get a Visual C++ debug error. I'll just post a screen cap of this one:
2016-11-26.png

If I try 'abort' it closes the program.

If I try "retry" or "ignore"

I get:
2016-11-26 (1).png

I have tried running this on both my Windows 10 system and my Windows Vista system and the result is the same in both cases. I would really like to work with this program and find out if I can actually use it to script out cut scenes. So... anyone got any suggestions on what I can do to get the system to work?

I was able to load the mission by simply ignoring the D: error at the beginning. Just hit OK through it and ensure all the files are in the local unpacked directory (so I pulled the whole MED directory off the image and tossed it onto my C: in its own directory) I think because you created that path on a D drive at the beginning, MED is going to look for everything in your D drive, which would mean you also have WCP and/or SO installed there as well.

so even with everything in one drive, and in one directory, I'm still getting the C++ error. I'm gonna try setting up a windows 98 virtual box and see if the program runs any better on that.

Question are you using the SO version of MED or the Prophecy version, there are two. I'm not sure but I think if you use the prophecy MED on SO it will crash. If you're using the SO MED it should work ok. I think the file is WCP_SO_DEV_BACKUP

I'm using the version contained in the wcp_dev_backup ISO. Based on the name, I would assume it's the wcp version. Got a link to the SO version?

Cyber Monday special: I'll put both ISOs up on my share for any and all to grab. Then I'll have to take them down because they eat up a bunch of space...

Odd, I would have figured these would have been hosted in SolSector. Well anyway, downloading them now. Thanks. I'll post up if the SO version works (hoping it does).

Sweet! It works! So yeah, SO-MED to open SO missions, wcp-MED for WCP Missions. Good to know!

Now just one more thing. How can I load the mission into the game? Is there a documented means of getting the game to load the missions? Or is there a hack to add a Simulator to Secret Ops that I can list the missions in?

Congrats!

Well, you could modify existing missions and/or create new ones and replace existing missions in the game, as long as they were named the same as the original you'd be ok there if you didn't want to use the simulator. Honestly though for cutscenes etc. I'd use the sim - I believe those missions are saved out in the root MISSIONS folder IIRC. There are some hosted links on creating and making new sim missions. I know @Lt.Overload has done some work along those lines. myself I haven't gotten much farther along than kind of opening missions and tinkering with them. I'm still building assets for now. :)

Congrats!

Well, you could modify existing missions and/or create new ones and replace existing missions in the game, as long as they were named the same as the original you'd be ok there if you didn't want to use the simulator. Honestly though for cutscenes etc. I'd use the sim - I believe those missions are saved out in the root MISSIONS folder IIRC. There are some hosted links on creating and making new sim missions. I know @Lt.Overload has done some work along those lines. myself I haven't gotten much farther along than kind of opening missions and tinkering with them. I'm still building assets for now. :)

OKay cool. I'll toss Overload a message and see if he can give me any advice for it all. You need to keep up the work with building assets. You know how much I'm looking forward to re-capturing all my source footage with your High-def models in place.

Well I've started down the process of learning MED. Gonna be a rough trip, I can promise that. I'm trying something new and that is creating a series of Video Logs of my efforts. This way everything I do is recorded and people can review it, see what I did (read: what I screw up) and gimme some feed back along the way. So... if you're interested in checking out what it looks likes for a monkey to learn coding by way of reverse engineering the WC:SO mission structure, this is your lucky day!

Log 1

Full playlist

Last edited:
Back