SM1 debriefing

Inquirer

Veteran Spaceman
I decided to play WC1... twice. I play each series attempting a "perfect" score and then replay them, aiming for the worst score (leaving targets to escape or allowing protected craft to be destroyed) and see Halcyon's different replies. WCpedia has made an excellent work on that, although incomplete as some missions lack all possible debriefings dialogues.

I am through WC1 and entered SM1. Now I just finished Goddard series with a "perfect" score, was promoted to captain and won a silver star. Then I replayed the first mission, I allowed the Lumbari to escape, then allowed the Kilrathi to destroy the transport and the corvette. When I got back, the debriefing was exactly the same, all objectives reached (not sure about the killing score though) and I was again promoted to captain!

I saw in the game map that you advance to Border Zone no matter if you win or fail Goddard, which would be the explanation why there is no "losing" debriefing. Or not?

Just played the Goddard 1 mission again. The dialogue changes a bit if I lose the Lumbari, but even if I destroy the Hickok and Marciano myself, Maverick mentions that he protected them successfully. What's happening here? Perhaps when I do something "illogical", such as destroying Confederation ships, triggers a bug? The destruction counts only if it is done by the Kilrathi NPCs?

Just played the Goddard 1 mission again. The dialogue changes a bit if I lose the Lumbari, but even if I destroy the Hickok and Marciano myself, Maverick mentions that he protected them successfully. What's happening here? Perhaps when I do something "illogical", such as destroying Confederation ships, triggers a bug? The destruction counts only if it is done by the Kilrathi NPCs?
Interessting... can't say something about this right now, because it was very long ago when I last played SM1... but I'm playing WC1 again these days, but very slowly, just a mission here and then... I think I'm now at mission 10, so it will be weeks or perhaps even months before I will be thru with the Vega Campaign... but most likely I will also play SM1 again after that, and when I do, I hope I still remember this, I will then try some things and will post here what happened.

If you look at the WC2 Script, or Storybook as LOAF calls it, I have done this for all the games and I have given them to Dun to help with creating the Wiki pages. However making the Wiki pages show complex branching conversation is not easy. It is very slow and tedious as Dun and I can both attest too. Hopefully one day we or someone will get back to finishing posting them.

I have not released the rest of the scrips to the public because I have not had the time to completely test them as thoroughly as is necessary. If I remember correctly each mission took at least ten play-through's to test each missions branching script. I just haven't had the time to do this.

In the meantime it was decide to just post the wining story text so that you all had something to read.

I've attached a screen shot of this debriefing. All the text is accurate as LOAF ripped it from a file from the game code. The branching, however as I have show it has not been tested. Now try to imagine trying to replay the mission with every possible combination of winning and losing. Quite the headache!

I have even found that a few missions had errors in the code that prevented some wining or losing story script from happening even though the text was in the code. (Not many as I recall. Only two or three instances.)

I hope this helps

Attachments

• SM1.png
    SM1.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 136
Last edited by a moderator:
Back