Sit Back and Relive Standoff with Justice (October 25, 2021)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Justice has kicked off a live-streaming playthrough of Wing Commander Standoff. Standoff is a spectacular fan mod based on the Secret Ops engine. It takes place during the events of the Fleet Action novel, which were exciting times ripe for further exploration. The game was largely released in the 2004-2009 timeframe across five main chapters. While it was one of the most popular mods at the time, there's probably a lot of people these days that either missed it or just weren't into fan games back then. The two videos below get about halfway through the story, which is pretty good progress. Now's your chance to get a taste of what you might have missed!

--
Original update published on October 25, 2021

Been lurking for a long time, not sure when was the last time I posted!

Any feasible way to get something like this ported to the Oculus 2? I recently played End Space and it has a semi decent WC feel to it.

Your best bet would be to have wcsaga add vr support, they have the source code, so it's easier than this re-engineering work IMO.

Any feasible way to get something like this ported to the Oculus 2? I recently played End Space and it has a semi decent WC feel to it.
In theory, anything's possible, but most of the team is no longer active in projects like this (and the few who are are focused on other projects). Realistically, it's much more likely that someone would do a new thing in VR than try to port an old game.

In theory, anything's possible, but most of the team is no longer active in projects like this (and the few who are are focused on other projects). Realistically, it's much more likely that someone would do a new thing in VR than try to port an old game.
Yeah, Pedro, who was one of the folks involved with Standoff IIRC is the main guy behind the WC4 remake project and I believe he has VR support baked in from the ground up.

One thing to verify too. Are the cockpits designed with vr in mind? if not, you may end up seeing a dashboard floating in space.

Back