Sign of the Apocalypse?

No, no, you're all wrong.

A good game sells.

A game tied to a movie will suck, but sell more.

Games with a corporate mascot always sell.

Excellent games may sell incredibly, unless the mascot overshadows them.

At one time Duke would've been close to mascot level. You buy because it is Duke. Now, he will have to be only a good game. Like I said this will have MAJOR publicity just because of how stupid it was all this time. People will buy DNF just to say they own it. Not the hordes, but a few.

That being said, I heard tomorrow they're negotiating a contract for a new engine based off mechwarrior5's scrapped work so they can rework it and discarding the ending of the story and reworking 20% of the levels.

Unfortunately there is some truth in Max Gene's words.

I know games which suck sooo hard you can't possibly imagine.
And they sell better as the best games I know.

It is a matter of marketing. I had to do studies about marketing, and I really hate the fact that it is like that.
Remember that Pearl Harbor - game?
Or, for example, in Germany there is a game called "Autobahn-Raser" that is a really bad Need-for-speed clone, but it had nice marketing and a nice cover, so people bought it!
IIRC there was also a really bad PotC-Game.

An the other hand there are games like LockOn which sell poorly, although they are great (jst the wrong genre)
Or look at Arena!! Does it sell good? IIRC it doesn't. Is it a great game? Yes, it probably is! (I can't say that because I haven't played it yet)

Obviously I was talking about a good game; they may end up messing everything up and creating a unimaginably crappy game, but if they keep up their standards, the game is promising.

The standards that gave us Duke Nukem Mobile II: Bikini Blast? :)

No, no, you're all wrong.

A good game sells.

A game tied to a movie will suck, but sell more.

Games with a corporate mascot always sell.

Excellent games may sell incredibly, unless the mascot overshadows them.

I don't think this is completely accurate - games tied to movies don't sell more, they sell *evenly*. A great game can be incredibly profitable, while a game tied to a popular media franchise won't sell nearly as well. They will, though, sell a roughly guaranteed number of copies and can be budgeted accordingly... while throwing ten million dollars at Spore or some equivalent title is a big risk on a publishers' part.

Games with a mascot character are the same way - unless they're especially good (or hyped) they sell only a guaranteed level. 'Pokemon Channel' isn't going to ship the same number of units as Pokemon Diamond (or Halo or Mass Effect or whatever)... but it's still going to sell to a particular group of people who the publisher knows exist.

The standards that gave us Duke Nukem Mobile II: Bikini Blast? :)

Hehehe, I must have missed that one. :)

Just wondering though, has 3D realms released anything whatsoever the last decade? Makes me wonder where they get their money from.

You're all wrong.

Based on what I see at work, I'd estimate the best-selling games at the moment are High School Musical: Sing It! for PS2/Wii and Hannah Montana: Music Jam for the DS.

That's what I was trying to convey- how am I wrong? :p

At any rate, by sell, LOAF, I didn't mean phenomenally sell, I just meant that they do, indeed, sell- but you caught my meaning (or rather, gave it back to me) so its all good.

Back