Ship prices for WC Universe.

Darkmage

Vice Admiral
ok, this is what I know so far, a fleet costs around 10 billion © fully outfitted, how much should I make fighters cost? Anyone who argues about the cost of a fleet should read the Victory Streak.

Perhaps these figures can help you.
The latest French Aircraft carrier "Charles de Gaulle" cost $3,300,000,000. In comparrisson a new A-10 costs about $10,000,000 a Harrier AV-8B costs about $24,000,000 a F/A-18 Super Hornet costs about $35,000,000 and a B-2 Spirit (stealth bomber) costs about $750,000,000. I think these numbers should be relative to the costs of there fictional counterparts in space. Which would explain the lack of cloacked fighters aboard the Midway, because they just cost to damm much.

This would mean that with a fleet consisting of a aircraft carrier, a cruiser, several destroyers and lot of transports and about 600 fighters and bombers. Those 600 bombers and fighters would cost about half of the total fleet cost. Dividing 5 billion by 600 would come to aprox. 8 million.

If the fleet would contain a bunch of cloacked fighters ofcourse the costs could become a lot higher.

Thanks man, that helps a lot!
I'll need to do some fine tweaking, but that will help me change the ship prices to make them more realistic. I've made the payment system already, you CAN earn up to 72,000©
in a mission.
© will stand for credits in the game.
I may also make it so that you can sell captured capships!
making it easier to buy new ships.
I'll work out the costs really soon, You'll be able to buy a cloaking device which will only work on some ships, all the ships which were able to cloak in wc 2, 3, & 4 will be able to have cloaking devices, there will be no Dragon fighters in the game.

[Edited by Darkmage on 05-08-2001 at 07:37]

The average military fighter circa WC1 costs 250 million credits... the Wildcat, circa 2634, cost 50 million. Civilian transports are significantly cheaper.

The Danrik in Priviteer 2 costs 250,000. Origin probably never realy bothered to standarise the cost of ships for the different games within the wing commander universe.

Originally posted by Darkmage
ok, this is what I know so far, a fleet costs around 10 billion © fully outfitted, how much should I make fighters cost? Anyone who argues about the cost of a fleet should read the Victory Streak.

If I may have one request: I found it always strange that a Plasma gun in Priva (and later the Fusion) cost more (80,000 resp. 100,000) than an entire ship, the Orion (75,000). But it does sound as if you already took care of that. Nice to see that you seem to keep up with your promises. Best of luck for your further progress... :)

MilSpec ships are much pricier, since they're so much better -- civvie ships are very cheap... think of it as buying an A-10 versus buying a Volkswagon. :)

MilSpec ships are much pricier, since they're so much better -- civvie ships are very cheap... think of it as buying an A-10 versus buying a Volkswagon.

I agree that millitary ships would be pricier, but 40 times more costly is preposterous. Confed fighters aren't that much better.

Indeed they are... compare the armor of a 2669 Centurion to those of a Confed fighter... and the maneuverability, and so forth...

LOAF:the sales man of P tell that the Centurion is the last model (2069=maybe an error, maybe is 2669), of course is a civ. ship, but why to sell Heavy Fighters to civ???? (to defend from pirates, you may say).
As last point. the P game was maked long before WC3, maybe they don´t know what specs. put to shields and armor, in comparison with the future WC3.

Originally posted by Ghost
LOAF:the sales man of P tell that the Centurion is the last model (2069=maybe an error, maybe is 2669), of course is a civ. ship, but why to sell Heavy Fighters to civ???? (to defend from pirates, you may say).

The Centurion isn't just a heavy fighter (heck, compared to Confed's finest, it's *not* a heavy fighter:)) -- it's also a light transport... the Centurion allows a merchant to protect valuable goods (albeit them in limited numbers), or allows a mercenary to fullfill contracts... Confed is in favor of privateers, because they're a cheap way of fighting the Kilrathi.

(The ship models in Privateer are 2670 versions -- they're supposed to be like cars where you get the next year early <G>)

As last point. the P game was maked long before WC3, maybe they don´t know what specs. put to shields and armor, in comparison with the future WC3.

I cannot tell you how things should be -- only how they are.

I'll bet you could still acquire some big time weapons/ships fairly easy, albeit expensive in some places. Hell, take a ride out to the Landreich. They'd prolly sell something nice for the right amount. And there's all kinds of those pirate bases and stuff dealing in like, everything. I'm sure out on the fringes of space you could get a refurbished salvaged Confed fighter, and it the right places even Kilrathi fighters.

Now, you wouldn't be buying these things at the local Wal-Mart or anything but if you want one bad enough there are ways.

You're talking about ships that cost the military five years and billions of credits to build -- and that there exist half a dozen total. You *can't* go to a shady under-the-counter massive dreadnought dealer any more than you can go downtown and buy a nuclear powered carrier from the guy who sells illegal guns.

Further, the Landreich isn't a giant pirate group -- it's a respectable nation. They have very, very few ships for themselves... they're not going to sell you what little they do have.

I doubt if the Militias would dare sell anything to a privateer - I mean, they must have some sort of no-reselling agreement with Confed. Besides, I don't think the Militias fly high-tech stuff anyway :).

Comparing the Centurion to WC2 standards, all other things considered, the Centurion is pretty damn good. To WC3 standards, it downright sucks. Then again, maybe the Centurion's armor is the actual thickness, considering the WC3 ships use "durasteel equivalent" values.

Guns aren't so hot, either. It MIGHT be possible to get a secondhand Confed fighter...but you couldn't get something like an Excalibur during the war. Not the modern ships...stick with Arrows, maybe a few Piranhas, that sort of thing.

Originally posted by Quarto
I doubt if the Militias would dare sell anything to a privateer - I mean, they must have some sort of no-reselling agreement with Confed. Besides, I don't think the Militias fly high-tech stuff anyway :).

What? You consider Gladius and Talon from Priv not high-tech? How could you? ;) <g>

Back