Ship Creation Question & Thank You

A

Anonymous01

First, I would like to express my gratitude towards Eddie Benowitz, the creator of the Flight Commander game. I have only recently discovered this program a few days ago. Although I have not had the chance to play it yet, this game looks very promising & I appreciate all of the effort that he has put into it. Although I can only speak for myself, I would like to think that everyone here is grateful for being the beneficiaries of a fan project that has actually been followed through enough to be enjoyed in a playable state. I can tell you from personal experience the disappointment felt when following similar projects for years only for those projects to eventually be abandoned without any tangible results to the community that followed them.

Having read a lot of the on-line documentation concerning this game, I currently have one question: How would one go about creating a brand-new ship? I understand that you can change the properties of an existing ship through an XML file. However, I have yet to read anything about the ship itself, the "mesh" of the ship. Could this mesh be created in a program like "Blender" or is there a preferred program that may also be used as well?

Again, thank you very much for offering this program to the community.

FC uses the standard wavefront .obj file, so as long as the mesh can be exported into this file format, you can use any program to make the mesh.

First, I would like to express my gratitude towards Eddie Benowitz, the creator of the Flight Commander game. I have only recently discovered this program a few days ago. Although I have not had the chance to play it yet, this game looks very promising & I appreciate all of the effort that he has put into it. Although I can only speak for myself, I would like to think that everyone here is grateful for being the beneficiaries of a fan project that has actually been followed through enough to be enjoyed in a playable state. I can tell you from personal experience the disappointment felt when following similar projects for years only for those projects to eventually be abandoned without any tangible results to the community that followed them.

Having read a lot of the on-line documentation concerning this game, I currently have one question: How would one go about creating a brand-new ship? I understand that you can change the properties of an existing ship through an XML file. However, I have yet to read anything about the ship itself, the "mesh" of the ship. Could this mesh be created in a program like "Blender" or is there a preferred program that may also be used as well?

Again, thank you very much for offering this program to the community.

Play it first, then thank me.

Yes, you can create completely new ships, just create a new ship.xml file. And yes, .obj meshes can be used, although only .bmp, jpg, and pngs can be used for the texture. Also, I only support some .objs, not any obj, so if you have problems, we'll take a look.

Back