Shining Movie On A Hill (April 24, 2006)

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by Bandit LOAF, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Bandit LOAF

Bandit LOAF Long Live the Confederation! Staff Member

Silent Hill, a new movie based on a popular video game and universally panned by the critics, premiered on Friday. Sounds like the same setup as the Wing Commander movie? Well, this one was a success: CNN reports that it was the weekend's #1 movie with $20.2 million in tickets sold. That's good news for the game-to-movie genre as a whole, to which we are tangentially connected. The video game connection invariably leads to comparisons to our movie by the professional critics... here's one from The Mirror:
    Zing indeed. ZFGokuSSJ1 reports that the IMDb is honoring the release with a 'favorite video game movie' poll today... so go vote for Wing Commander here. Wing Commander is currently in 12th place, well behind Tomb Raider... but significantly ahead of Alone in the Dark!

--
    Original update published on April 24, 2006
  2. BattleFate

BattleFate Spaceman

The link for the poll brought me to a poll asking to vote on the "worst video game to movie translation." Maybe we don't want people voting Wing Commander for that one...

Oh, and that movie critic doesn't know what he's talking about. I enjoyed both Resident Evil movies, I enjoyed Wing Commander, I enjoyed the first Tomb Raider, I enjoyed Doom (to an extent). They aren't what you would qualify as classics, but they are deffinately better than protrayed here.
  3. Peidu

Peidu Only an idiot.

You obviously don't have the weird and wonderful mind of a critic. Judging from the fact that LOAF picked 'the Mirror' which from me being British I can tell you is 'tabloid crap', shows that the critic is probably not very good.
  4. IPhoenixI

IPhoenixI Spaceman

Sol Sector,Earth: Eureka, California, USA
    I hate critics.
  5. Confed

Confed Commodore

Me too.
    IF 1000 lawyers chained together at the bottom of the sea = "a good start"
    THEN 1000 critics chained together at the bottom of the sea = "a good follow-up"
    :D
  6. ZFGokuSSJ1

ZFGokuSSJ1 Rear Admiral

Because that was yesterday's update.
  7. BattleFate

BattleFate Spaceman

Fair enough, but it only appeared on the news page the day that the "worst" poll was there... So without reading the poll, people might have been voting down Wing Commander instead...
  8. ChrisReid

ChrisReid Super Soaker Collector / Administrator Staff Member

If people don't read the poll subject, then it doesn't matter. They think they're voting for WC as the best movie option, WC gets voted up, they think WC is winning, and then they close the browser and never think about it again, having been oblivious to the whole topic and feeling good about it the entire time.
  9. meisdavidp

meisdavidp All your belief cannot absolve your sin.

I don't see how that's a good thing, unless I'm missing something about your post...
  10. Cargoman

Cargoman Spaceman

I think he's saying let the idiots be happy .
    Why depress them with facts .