Shelton Sliding Bugs

Anagram

Spaceman
Did I see what I thought I saw? I was chasing a Moray, and I think it Sheltoned to try and get away from me. Was it my eyes, or did it really happen?

And why don't many people Shelton Slide anyways? What's with people's lack of use of Caps Lock?

(And I DON'T want any reminders of Greenfly)

------------------
Hmmmmm..... What's this button do?

Anagram said:
Did I see what I thought I saw? I was chasing a Moray, and I think it Sheltoned to try and get away from me. Was it my eyes, or did it really happen?

I don't think the Prophecy engine would support something like shelton slide the way the WC1 or WC2 engine did.

And why don't many people Shelton Slide anyways? What's with people's lack of use of Caps Lock?

I could be wrong, but shelton slide the way it's described in my KS manual is just flying at a high speed, and then turning at a sharp angle to face your enemy, but your craft is still being caried by the forward momentum for several seconds. Meanwhile Caps Lock, or / are for autoslide which IIRC involves your onboard computer locking the course and speed (I think that's something from one of the novels).

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited February 21, 2000).]

It's not so much locking course and speed as closing scoops and shutting off thrusters so that you maintain course and speed.

They've sorta become the same thing.. what was once the Shelton Slide we still refer to as the Afterburner Slide.. and then we now sorta refer to the Autoslide as the Shelton Slide.. because with modern ships we can use the Autoslide to do more effective Afterburner Slides in theory.

Let's see.. to put it another way.. there are two slides in question.. the Afterburner Slide and Autoslide. The Shelton name used to apply to the Afterburner Slide.. but now it applies moreso to the Autoslide for various reasons.

All craft with afterburners can 'slide' to some extent depending on how fast they turn. I've seen Morays, Devil Rays and Excaliburs slide quite a few times by turning as they cut their afterburners.
As for Autoslide, I usually use that to conserve fuel

------------------
'For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky'.

Wing Commander - Secret Ops Missions

If the slide is simply shutting down the collection fields, why do only a few Confed fighters get to do it?

------------------
Don't look conspicuous-it draws fire.

Death's Head said:
If the slide is simply shutting down the collection fields, why do only a few Confed fighters get to do it?

At a guess, I'd say it has to do with the stresses involved in coasting along on inertia (with autoslide active) but maneuvering in other directions. Lighter fighters, like the Arrow and it's counterparts, haven't as much mass, resulting in less stress, and wunderfighters like the Excalibur and other space superiority fighters have a stronger spaceframe to handle the stresses.

Keep in mind, though, that the documentation never really goes into the details, and my physics knowledge is rudimentiary (sp?) at best.
biggrin.gif

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the reasons I liked WC1 so much was because of the engine and even though it was pretty low grade, you could do stuff such as the shelton slide or the eclipse manuver with capital ships.

------------------
Peace cannot be kept by force, it must be achieved through understanding.

That's a fair guess I'm impressed death.

------------------
There's only one thing more accurate than incoming fire-friendly fire

I agree with Death's Head. Good guess Death, sounds more educated than you sound confident of it
biggrin.gif

------------------

coasting and turning at the same time (autoslide) wouldnt put any stress on the ship, theoretically less than the standard shelton slide where you not only have the ship moving in one way but the engine is afterburning to get the ship moving in another. It might have something to do with the center of mass and thrust, and the ship going out of control when you kick enginges in, but if you could do a shelton slide you should be able to autoslide without any problem. I think the lack of autoslide might have something to do with usefulness and survivability - using non-autoslide ships modifide to use the slide usually gets me killed because it takes so long to turn around. With something as slow and big as a Devestator (and the Tigershark - they dont have the shields to take the beating) you have to keep moving if you want to survive

------------------
Today might be the last day of the rest of your life. Live it well.

You'd think with the bombers, the sheilds would be stronger, the longbow's sheilds recharge faster than the Shrike or Devastator's and are of greater strength. IIRC, the Longbow recharges at 80 while the Devastator goes at less than 30.

Even if the new bombers sheilds do recharge faster and you get several turrets, the number of enemy ships you face is larger, and on bombing runs you have to dodge capship IRs too. As long as you are more vulnerable and need to concentrate on objectives, you need stronger sheilds.

Of course, in Prophecy and SO, I needed to take out half the fighters BEFORE I could continue on to the capship, and if I was in a Shrike, I'd be in real bad shape. Makes me wonder how I got 140 kills on sim level 6 pushing a Shrike-maybe it was because I didn't have to face the bug missiles.

Lucky me I have WCPedit! Now the recharge rates and sheild levels are adequate, but not too much. At least nightmare is still a challenge-which it should be. If it wasn't they wouldn't have referred to the level as delta force commandos on steroids taking on a baby.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited February 24, 2000).]

Back