Sequel to prophecy. When, where, how?

I've got exams too! Start in 6 days ... I start with thermodynamics. Anybody know where the partition function (Z) comes from? I've got the derivation but my lecturer seems to pull out the initial expression to derive it out of his ass.

The Pirahna would be a pretty crappy ship if not for the Sotrmfire. Love that gun. Forces you fly better too since you have limited ammo.

Here we go again...

The piranha was awful in WCP, its guns were way too weak against the Bugs and having the stormfire was its only consolation. Of course this is expected, since it is only a scout fighter, but gunning down Mantas in one is a pain.

Yes, well, gunning people down with a pencil is also a pain :). And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we write with a pencil, and gun people down with an AK-47.

Hmm... Pencils could be used as projectiles in guns... They'd hurt quite a bit. You could also write with the lead slug of the bullet.

TC

Originally posted by Quarto
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we write with a pencil, and gun people down with an AK-47.

Who is 'we'? I don't intend on 'gunning' anyone, regardless of what is the ammunition. :)

Who is 'we'? I don't intend on 'gunning' anyone, regardless of what is the ammunition. :)
Oh yes... of course. I... uh... don't intend on gunning anyone down either. I've... changed.

Well, I'd have no qualms on gunning down people if the ammo used is that paintball thing (although that crap is oh so painful when it hits you in the right place).:)

And that thing about the lecturer pulling the initial expression out of his *** will happen all the time. It's what they call a "trivial" thing. :eek:

[Edited by klaus on 11-26-2000 at 13:38]

Yes... because getting shot in the groin doesn't hurt (hasn't happened to me, but one of my friends was rather unlucky...) :)

Getting shot in the back of the head at 4m is a bit of a bitch too.

TC

[Edited by TC on 11-26-2000 at 18:46]

Hmm... the last time I was playing paintball, I forgot that we've got rules for surrender (get real close, yell, if he tries anything funny, shoot)... so I shot somebody from about 1 metre :D. But it can't have hurt that much, cause it was in the back.

...Heh. One metre, in the back... that doesn't make me too honourable, does it? :)

I've only seen that happen once. I mean, what're the chances a paintball's going to hit you right there?

I think if you get shot at 1 meter it's going to hurt no matter what :) Worst place to get hit though is the throat, it really hurts.

I almost got hit in the throat once. If the pellet had hit a few centimetres lower, it would be in the throat... as it is, the facemask protected me. Though unfortunately, facemasks don't prevent you from tasting paint ;).

WildWeasel: Err. Let me put it this way. A long time ago on a hockey pitch far away I used to play hockey. As you probably know hockey players wear shin guards. The shin guard covers the vast majority of your lower leg so the probability of a hockey ball hitting an exposed part of the front side of the leg is less than the probability of the ball hitting the guard. However in practice the ball had the nasty habit of striking either A) just above the guard or B) right below it.
So yeah you are kinda right but statistically speaking the ball should hit the guard more often than it should hit flesh & bone. Something that never really happened to me.

How do you know that it only seems that way cos that's the only time you actually feel the ball? :)

I've never played paintball before, but I've always wanted to. It'd finally be something where my smaller-than-average-physique would give me an advantage. Plus there's the thrill of war and tactics without the killing. That's where the fun is in games, isn't it? Only conflict creates interest.

Plus there's the thrill of war and tactics without the killing.
You mean, we're not supposed to kill in paintball? Oh damn!

The really neat thing about paintball is that I finally got to use all of my X-COM experience :D. I suspect I was the only one out there thinking in terms of time units ;).

Sorry, X-COM?

And that's not funny, I hear there's a reasonable chance, small, but still reasonable chance of scoring a fatal hit on someone, esp in the throat at close range.

Yes, X-COM. UFO: Enemy Unknown and X-COM: Terror From The Deep, to be precise. Extremely educational.

...I mean, obviously, in paintball, you don't move by clicking the mouse et cetera, but X-COM nonetheless teaches you the basics of combat tactics. You learn, for example, not to move unless you can get to cover in a given number of time units... err, given period of time :). It also teaches you that if an alien - that is, enemy team member - hides behind a building and starts taking potshots at your team, you don't try frontal assaults; you go around, and then get right behind him. After all, you'll only be able to shoot once before your turn ends (that is, before he reacts), so you'd better make that shot count.

Back