See Atlantis One Last Time

akula65

Rear Admiral
Space shuttle Atlantis is scheduled to launch for the last time on Friday, so this is your last opportunity to see it in orbit. NASA has a page to help you find viewing opportunities in your area:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/index.html

Select your country and click the "Go to Country" button in the upper left corner of the page (also note that there is a link to get sighting help in the lower left corner of the page). If you are in the U.S., click on your state in the page that appears next. In the next page that appears click on the town or city nearest you. You will then see a list of International Space Station viewing opportunities for the next two weeks. Look for ISS viewing opportunities during the first and last two days of the Atlantis mission, since Atlantis will be chasing after the ISS during these periods. So if you see viewing opportunities on 14-16 May, then watch for Atlantis to follow essentially the same path as the ISS a few minutes after you see ISS. As the time for docking approaches on 16 May, the distance between the craft will diminish.

Atlantis will not be quite as bright as the International Space Station, but it is easily visible. Good hunting!

Space shuttle Atlantis is scheduled to launch for the last time on Friday, so this is your last opportunity to see it in orbit.

I'm glad I got to see a night launch of a space shuttle a while back. I'll also miss those booms that I hear (I live close enough to their reentry path) when they're coming home.

Back