Searching Videos

gevatter Lars

Vice Admiral
I am searching for cutscenes or any other video material from WC1+2.
I allready got the WC2 intro and a trailer from secret missions, thought its in a quite bad quality.

I also got some stuff from Arena but only gameplay videos and one menu. Does Arena got an intro or any other kind of cutscenen?
Basicly I am interested in any video from WC1+2, Arena, Armada and Academy.
Gameplay, menues (animated ones) and cutscenes.

I am thinking about a little movie project. I don't know when I have time to work on it but I thougth that I should start gethering material so that when I find some time I allready have what I need to work on.

I've seen some YouTube stuff of the cinematics for Wing Commander 2. I've been recording the Wing Commander 2 missions for the replay, but I don't have any place to put them at. I was considering vimeo, but its quality is not much better than YouTube.

I think I got most of the WC2 stuff from Youtube. Haven't had the time to view through it but I think it will be enough for now. I have to see if there is some gameplay stuff in it or just the cutscenes but I think I can record some ingame stuff myself...if I find a good way to do so. Haven't tried it yet but since I also want some WC1 ingame stuff I think I have to do it sooner or later. Just don't want to play through the entire game...I won't have time for that.

If you put them up on youtube tell me. Then I can get them from there.

Doesn't youtube let some vids run at higher quality if you click a certain link? If only we knew the criteria for such...

What I know is that Youtube limits the videos to 100MB, less then 10min and a res of 320x240.
So its a quite small resolution but fits to the original WC3 footage that was 320x160 IIRC.

The resolution limit is the main problem. Since Stage6 had the best resolution, its quality was the best. But they closed their site a while ago. Vimeo and other sites just don't have a resolution match, so I'll probably be holding on to the videos I'm recording until a good high quality site becomes available. Given the current economics, I suspect you'll have to wait years.

The resolution limit is the main problem. Since Stage6 had the best resolution, its quality was the best. But they closed their site a while ago. Vimeo and other sites just don't have a resolution match, so I'll probably be holding on to the videos I'm recording until a good high quality site becomes available. Given the current economics, I suspect you'll have to wait years.

As far as I know, stage6 was just straight-up divx files.

Wait... couldn't these things just go straight to the CIC's holovid area? I mean, updates have been posted _asking_ us to drain the bandwidth...

I checked the Holovids section a few times, but there is nothing I see about how to add videos. My best guess is that it needs a site to upload from, but I've sent an email asking for any instructions. I can't make any promises that I'll get a reply, that the videos will be allowed, etc.

This stuff is all handled by the CIC staff so if you have something you want to know or add, than you need to get in contact with them.

I do have a YouTube account that I've rarely used. So I could upload the videos that I've recorded there. Some of them will present a challenge to get to the 10 minute limit, so I'll investigate options(dropping uninteresting nav points will likely do the job for the most part).

Ok, I've just begun uploading videos. Given how slow it is with just the intro video, I'd be lucky to get to mission 10. I'll do my best and post a reply when I'm done for the night.

I managed to get up to mission #10. Please bear in mind that certain missions I ran into recording glitches and did not capture anything. I think out of the 30 missions, there were maybe about 4 or 5 that did not get captured. Feel free to take a look at:
http://youtube.com/davecaspermeyer

P.S. - Let me know what you think or if you feel the videos need any editing.

Thanks I will look through them later. What I allready noticed is that you have some different sound FX as I remember them. Its either the way you are recording it or there are different versions out there.
On the other hand I haven't played WC2 for a very long time.

The compression of the videos may be having some small effect on the sounds. On average, a video will take 500 or more megabytes before I use Virtual Dub to make it more manageable to upload. There is only one codec I can reliably use to get the size under the limit too.

P.S. - My missions tend leave the fighter I'm flying in damaged most of the time.

I think the reason is the speechpack and that you might use a different soundcard setting.

Here is a small example of how different the massdrivers sound is.
wcsaga.hard-light.net/team/Lars/wc2audio.avi

I hope you can open the file.

Interesting that there is quite a difference. Since it HAS been a long time since I installed the Kilrathi Saga, it makes me wonder what sound options you can choose when installing it. I'm fairly sure that I'm at the best sound options for installation, but I can look into it some more.

Back