Scripts

ck9791

Rear Admiral
From the archive here at the CIC I know there were a couple of alternative scripts for Prophecy, but I was wondering if there were alternate scripts for any of the earlier games? If there were, do we know what the differences were from the final games we all know?

Good question, a Space Point for you.

Prophecy is a special case for a few reasons - the most major being that the budget was cut significantly between the original pitch and when they actually started work on the game. Earlier drafts of Wing Commander III and IV will be less different... but they must exist somewhere.

In fact, the Origin Museum recently provided us with the Wing Commander IV beat outline, which you can find here: https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/7356 It's largely similar, but it has a third 'part' of the game... a first section where Blair is flying missions from a ground base before getting transferred to the Lexington.

Privateer 2, though, had a script that went through a lot of changes - and I'd give my right kidney to get a look at any of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks LOAF, I missed that update.

It would have been interesting to play through an extended WC4, with Blair starting serving as part of a ground garrison on Nephele. I would love to see what that would have added to the story in terms of the missions Blair flew and his conversations with other pilots while serving on Nephele. I wonder if they would have kept the Lexington and Intrepid segments of the game the same length though or would have shortened them if the segment on Nephele had been used. The PSX version of the game is four discs and the PC CD-ROM version is four or five (I think), this would have added another disc or two if the rest of the game had remained the same.

Thanks LOAF, I missed that update.

It would have been interesting to play through an extended WC4, with Blair starting serving as part of a ground garrison on Nephele. I would love to see what that would have added to the story in terms of the missions Blair flew and his conversations with other pilots while serving on Nephele. I wonder if they would have kept the Lexington and Intrepid segments of the game the same length though or would have shortened them if the segment on Nephele had been used. The PSX version of the game is four discs and the PC CD-ROM version is four or five (I think), this would have added another disc or two if the rest of the game had remained the same.

Wing Commander 4 is six discs on the PC. A seventh slot in the carrier would start some rumor up every once in a while back in the day.

Having the 'most' CD-ROMs was a big deal at that point in history for some reason - I think Phantasmagoria* won the contest with seven or so and everyone remembered that it didn't matter.

*- (... yes, I'm sure some crazy game no one has heard of actually has 13 CDs...)

Back