'Scenes of McAuliffe' WIP Thread

Interesting, but I am really not loving the back end with just the one engine. It just seems wrong to me. Besides even in the movie I thought the confed ships still have multiple engines, it was the Kilrathi that were relegated to single engines.

Nice front, could be interesting when its done...about the back...I just wanted to ask what ship that should be till I found out that it should be the back.
No offence, but that back looks...well reminds me of a hand vacuum cleaner.
I would also say make it different with multiple engines in the triangle placement of the original or as like the Dreadnought from "Conquest Frontier Wars".

Other thing is, but that could be the perspective...itsn't it a litte short?

I think the front part is asome. And I also think the back looks like some chimney out of Merry Poppins (sorry). I like your single engine idea, but maybe if you cut out the "cone" it might look better.

Something like this???

hmm...you know, i like that. taper it a bit more is what i'll prolly do. but, i do like that idea. it'll help shape the underside of the hull and all that as well. thanks :)

Brad Mick

here we go with an update. this is the low poly control mesh as she stands. when the basic shaping is all done, i'll be shipping it over to maya for conversion to sub-d's and detail work, after that, shipped back to LW for final touches. anyway, here's the update. showing off the new aft section, there'll now be 3 engines back there.

Brad Mick

Attachments

• concordia_01.JPG
    concordia_01.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 212
here's a new sketch for you all. the Wildcat fighter. Hope you all like her :)

Brad Mick

Attachments

• terran_wildcat_fighter.jpg
    terran_wildcat_fighter.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 363
The fighter doesn't look bad but I'd prefer the wildcat to look similar to a Hellcat whose predecessor it might be(infact those Gellcats we see in one of the Academy episodes are different from normal Hellcats in many details so those might in fact be actually Wildcats.

Oh and you seriously have to work on that Concordia model, it has no resemblance with a Concordia at all. If you want it to be recognizeable as such you'll have at least to keep the general shape and proportions of it.

she does...for the concordia class. and i always thought of the wildcat as being a completely different entity all together from the hellcat.

The general consensus seems here seems to be that the WildCat is the predecessor of the Hellcat, like in WW2, so they probably would share the same looks.

Oh and make the ships not too round, pre WC1 stuff seems to be very edgy(most of the WC1 craft are around since the beginning of the war or earlier so rounded designs don't seem to be too common then.

hmm....well, i guess it comes to personal preference then. overall i'm wc-movifying the ships. that means more rounded where they're not usually rounded, etc. since i have to create basicly 100% of the ships from scratch, it's easier to modify existing designs to fit a certain visual look, instead of having to design within confines. and in so far as the hellcat/wildcat deal goes, when i read the novel, that design is what popped out for it.

Brad Mick

alrighty....after starting over yet again after realizing i needed to keep this thing all qauds to really model her effectively with my chosen method, this is what i've arrived at. through a odd quirk of trying to get the intakes to look right, i wound up getting some sharper edges on the upper hull. they're growing on me, not 100% happy with that..but, what can you do? just...deal i guess. anyway, here she is so far.

Brad Mick

Attachments

• concordia_03.jpg
    concordia_03.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 178
finally! got the hull looking like i want it too. expect some rapid progress.

Brad Mick

Attachments

• concordia_04.jpg
    concordia_04.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 184
thanks nomad. yeah, the hull shaping has been...well, i'm very VERY picky about how this ship will look. now that the shaping is done, i can focus on detailing the hell out of her. i'll be modeling her hull plates, and just...lotsa stuff.

Brad Mick

Modeling the hullplates...wouldn't it be easier to use a bumpmap or do you speak of realy big plates that somehow stick out of the normal hull?

Back