RSI Other Games forum disabled for non-backers

OSH

Rear Admiral
Great news. According to one guy from reddit, "Other Games" forum on RSI Forum is no longer available for non-backers. Really great idea, especially because Wing Commander forum was quite active and has direct connection with Star Citizen. And I have no-longer access now. I know, at least one guy from RSI is here (BanditLOAF? wcloaf is one of the staff member on RSI, but I'm not sure so please forgive me, if I think wrong) So from this place I give you special „greetings” for this „brilliant” idea.

Last edited:
I guess I didn't really even realize there's people who post at the RSI forums that aren't backers? Anyhow, if Wing Commander's what you want to talk about, this is the place to be anyhow!

It's about time they blocked out the useless non-backer troll accounts from posting in the subforums that matter. General chat is almost pleasant again.

When I asked about Ghorah Khar 2D mission, I've received more replies on RSI forum than here, and I still can't understand this politics. On Elite: Dangerous Forum there's a special section for backers, which is not available to others, but the rest forum (including off-topic section) is available for all. So I think, CLG made a big mistake.

When I asked about Ghorah Khar 2D mission, I've received more replies on RSI forum than here, and I still can't understand this politics. On Elite: Dangerous Forum there's a special section for backers, which is not available to others, but the rest forum (including off-topic section) is available for all. So I think, CIG made a big mistake.

Honestly speaking, as a non-backer, unless you're asking a question relevant to the game (Star Citizen) to possible future consideration of backing, you really have no business being on the RSI forums. Limiting access to guests was LONG overdue. Yes, I said guest because that's exactly what you are if you're not a financial supporter of the project. Obviously, certain rooms would be offlimits to, "guests." The sub-forums are for Backers who wish to talk about other topics not limited to SC. If you really want to talk about Wing Commander on a game forum that isn't even FOR Wing Commander the least you can do is back the minimum to get in. RSI isn't a public forum, most use Reddit for that.

I find this change a breath of fresh air!

As ChrisReid said:

Anyhow, if Wing Commander's what you want to talk about, this is the place to be anyhow!

Quoted for Truth.

When I asked about Ghorah Khar 2D mission, I've received more replies on RSI forum than here, and I still can't understand this politics. On Elite: Dangerous Forum there's a special section for backers, which is not available to others, but the rest forum (including off-topic section) is available for all. So I think, CLG made a big mistake.

Yeah, I'm not defending them, and I really don't care either way, but it sounds like it was kind of an unmanageable mess. There's a sweet spot for forums traffic. Sure, I wish it was a bit busier here, but if it's too busy, you can't keep up with conversations, and the trolls/whiners/trouble makers are just out of control. It wasn't all that long ago when managing the CIC Forums here was an exhausting job by itself. Obviously the CIG forums are hundreds of times busier, and also much busier than the Elite forums, so I can't really blame them at all for wanting to have some limits.

I certainly wish people who talk about Wing Commander spent more time doing that here than elsewhere. I miss the old days when there would be dozens of new post every day. I don't miss the idiocy, though.

Kind of an odd choice to begin with having forums for WC and Freelancer over there rather than directing folks to the existing fan pages. No reason to split the communities. I suppose a lot of people would post on both, though.

Kind of an odd choice to begin with having forums for WC and Freelancer over there rather than directing folks to the existing fan pages. No reason to split the communities. I suppose a lot of people would post on both, though.

There's a method to the madness... especially in the early days when there really wasn't much to show, Aside from concept and design work, most of the forward facing side of CIG was about community building. If you can keep the same people on *your* site talking about common interests (and a large percentage of early backers were WC and Freelancer fans) then the more they interact and build a camaraderie.

There's a method to the madness... especially in the early days when there really wasn't much to show, Aside from concept and design work, most of the forward facing side of CIG was about community building. If you can keep the same people on *your* site talking about common interests (and a large percentage of early backers were WC and Freelancer fans) then the more they interact and build a camaraderie.
It doesn't hurt to plug the CIC over there either... tastefully. Seen quite a few faces over there be intrigued by the fact that this site is still alive and kicking after all these years. In the early days I saw at as a means to cull the masses who'd forgotten about us or never knew we existed to begin with. The Wing Commander IP spoke for itself.

The Star Citizen project is what finally drove me to re-register here after I declared my lurker years over. This old vagabond had to put down his roots. ;)

Back to the topic though:

The lunacy won't go away but at least now you'll have to pay to get into the more member's only sub-forums. As AD is a mod there I believe he has a rather enlightened perspective on how bad it really gets at RSI. I've sworn off General Chat and forums there previously as a semi-misguided mob of voices too loud to hear anything useful above the shouts of anarchy. Was that descriptive enough? :confused: I may have to dip my toe in the water again but I'm still expecting to get scalded. The Subscriber's Den and Concierge sub-forums haven't been immune either but in most cases the other forumites there are a bit more... rational? and police themselves.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Back