request if 3D cockpits are implemented

JKeefe

Spaceman
To the devs:
If you guys ever put 3D cockpits into the game (not renders, but 3D models where you can look around), I beg of you to implement TrackIR support if possible. IF you know what TrackIR is, awesome. If not, I will be happy to post a detailed explanation.

And if you want to wait until 1.0 is released and have this discussion then, that's fine too. :)

is there where your head is in the seat of the pilot but it's facing your target, even if he's behind the model that's in your way?

WHAT? :)

I think you're describing a padlock system. In flight sims, padlocks are a game feature that mimics a real pilot's ability to control his field of view by easily turning his ir her head. In a flight sim turning your virtual head is not easy, and a computer monitor provides a much smaller and lower resolution image than human eyes do. Typical fligh sim padlocks include Padlock Threat, Padlock Incoming Missile, Padlock Wingman, Padlock Target, etc. Engaging a padlock swivels your virtual eyes to the object you have padlocked, and keeps them there until you return to a forward view.

All of the above assumes a working 3D cockpit and a good view control system. Most flight sims use a combination of arrow keys, numpad keys, mouse, etc. to acheive a good viewing system. Mouselook (swiveling your virtual head by moving the mouse) is typical in a flight sim.

TrackIR is a device that consists of an IR transmitter/receiver that sits on top of your monitor and an IR reflective dot that you stick somewhere on your head (my dots go on the boom of my headset mic). TrackIR works in two modes. The first is called relative mode, or mouselook mode. In this mode, all it does is move your mouse cursor based on the position of your head. Therefore, if a sim has mouselook, TrackIR can control the mouse cursor and thus control your view.

The second TrackIR mode is called absolute, or enhanced mode. This is a mode that is completely independent of mouse functions and needs special coding to be implemented into a game. TrackIR in enhanced mode is much more precise than mouse mode, and leaves the mouse free to do other things (although is Privateer Remake this isn't important).

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm providing too much info, not enough, or what. You can get more TrackIR info at http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/

AFAIK there aren't any popular space sims with 3D cockpits, so this has never been an issue before. I am a strong proponent TrackIR, as I think it is an intuitive and realistic way of controlling point of view. I like to see it in any new project if possible, hence my suggestion.

ahh...but how could I possibly implement this sort of thing without such a device? does it map itself as one of your joystick controllers?

Back