Remember the time. . .

DeltaKiller

Spaceman
Does anyone out there remember when they first started playing Wing Commander? I'm talking about back when the first one came out. I remember that I was about 10 years old and that I really sucked. I think that my first callsign was 'Warloard'. Anyway, I think that's it's interesting to see how the line has developed and evolved throughout the years. Think about the characters, the only originals (from the game) left are Maniac, Blair, Bear, possibly Doomsday, and I sure there are a couple others (I kinda missed WCII). Well, if you are wondering, yes, I am AlphaKiller (you're probably saying "NO DUH!" right about now), but I'm in college now and my callsign will evolve as I evolve.

Nothing too important, I just wanted to say something on the board since it's changed since I've been here last. (On the subject of I remember, I remember when this site was Introspectrum.)(SP :p)

That's all for now. BTW, my other callsigns have been, Killer, AlphaKiller and Crytonian.
(Another round of "NO KIDDING!")

Thanks for your patience,

DeltaKiller

------------------
Live by the Cross and make Haste.

Watch out for when you reach the Omega letter...

Heh, just joking.

The very first wing commander I played was probably Privateer, on a 486. I didn't have a computer when WC 1 and 2 came.

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

Back in '95 I went to buy a new game for use on my 486, which was new back then. I went into the shop, saw WC3 & thought that guy on the front looked familiar, decided to try it & the rest as they say is history.

I was 5, yes 5, years old when the first Wing Commander came out! We didn't even have a computer until last May, for crying out loud! Yeesh, what a cruel world!
smile.gif

But I remember my first Wing Commander experience; going to the video store, hoping for Mortal Kombat 3, finding Wing Commander 4 instead. I saw Hamill on the display and, being a Star Wars fan at the time, I picked it up and was instantly hooked.

------------------
Doing the bull dance. Feeling the flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
july '97, a hot summer day, a trip to the local gamestore. As usual I knew I wouldn't be buying anything, because I never had had any game that could really capture my interest. My eyes went over the shelves...There it was: bottom of the shelf: an Origin classics title: WC4
"Wc4, hmmm, I've heard about this...Something about it being one of the greatest games of all time" It was cheap enough, so in a bold move (I usually think a few days before buying anything) I picked it up. 3 days later I saw the final cutscene...I was in heaven. The most beautifil game I ever played. I was so happy once I finally finished it and yet so sad now that I knew that It would never be so good again as it was that first time...

------------------
The time is near.
There are 350 days remaining.

I´m with stupid
|
V

^
I'm not with him
I

When I first played WC1 it came with our first PC
smile.gif
my brother treid to get into it a few times but he thought it was just a simple question game, then I found clawmarks and the blueprints and put all the IQ I had (I was 6 at the time) and I cracked it.
and I've been hooked ever since...

------------------
You Know I do GCSE Cooking, I get A's B's and nothing bellow c's I make Christmas Cake, Shortbread pastry and other Assorted and hard to make delacacys and what do I come home and cook myself?
Microwave Hot dogs!

I remember when people who were five or six when WC came out were like 11 or 12 year old kids..
smile.gif

Hehehe, I had to read that a couple of times myself.

He's saying he was in 6th grade when WC1 came out.

------------------
Hats off to the new-age hairstyle made of bones,
Hats off to the use of hats as megaphones...

-Frosty

Wow, was it really that confusing? I meant I remember when people who were 5 or 6 when WC game out were 11 or 12 years old.
smile.gif
Now people who were 5 or 6 came out are 15 years old. There's a big difference between a 12 and 15 year old.
smile.gif

It was in may of 1992 that I bought Wing Commander Deluxe from hastings. It was pretty expensive for that time, but i bought it anyway. I then found a copy of Wing Commander II that same year. Then i got III-V, Priv.1-2 as soon as they came out.

------------------
"I'm putting you back in the cockpit Colonel, where you will be reunited with an old friend, the thrill of battle!"
-Tolwyn to Blair WC IV

[This message has been edited by MadDog243 (edited January 17, 2000).]

My first Wing Commander was in 1995 when I rented WC1 for SNES. I loved it so much that I just kept renting it. After awhile I found it in the stores and finally bought it. Then when I got my first PC, I finally got the Kilrathi Saga and WC 4.

------------------
Peace cannot be kept by force, it must be achieved through understanding.

I started in 1997 with Prophecy, we just moved to USA from Poland, and the first game I got for my first computer was Prophecy. I was amazed with the thing, and it became my favorite game (I did of course play other games before, just not on my computer). Later in school I got on the net, and I found out about Secret Ops. I couldn't download it, so I waited till Prophecy Gold came out and got it. When I finaly got online on my own computer, I found this BB, and agwc. I found out about other games in the series, and I began my quest to find them. In May 1999, I got Kilrathi Saga and WC4 second hand from someone that was selling them on agwc, I payed $80 for it (best $80 I ever spent) In august that year I got Privateer clasic, and after 1 month of trying I finaly got it to work thanks to Stinger from the Tech Support BB. At about the same time I got all of the WC novels, and I've read most of them 2 times since then (I'm rereading FA right now) I got P2 deluxe on christmas day from EA (a perfect present for christmas) and that's the long version of my WC history. Although Prophecy isn't my favorite game anymore (WC4 is) it still is in a way special, and I will kill anybody that says a bad thing about it.
smile.gif

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited January 17, 2000).]

For me it all started in October 1995. New life had been breathed into my PC thanks to the inclusion of a sound card. Included in the game pack-ins was WCII and its add-ons. I had remembered 2 years prior reading a Gamepro magazine where the SNES version of the original got a very good review, so I decided to give WCII a shot. Through some tweaking of my 486/66's config.sys and autoexec.bat files (ah those were the days
smile.gif
) I was able to get it working and I immediately became hooked on the cool missions and amazing plot. An everlasting obsession had begun on that day.

------------------
We shall slice of their heads and thrust them upon tiki sticks!

I got WC1 (SNES) for Christmas back in 1990. After fumbleing with it for some time I came to love it. Then one day while at a video renal store I came accross SM1. I rented it for a coulpe of weeks and ended up buying it from the place. Years later I was at EB looking around when I saw WC4. I didn't have a computer but I figured what the hell and bought it. Nearly a year later I managed to build a cheap computer. After playing WC4 I was amazed. I had to have all of the other games, and after numerouse trips to Sears, K-Mart, EB, and Wallmart my collection was complete. Then I got in trouble and lost my computer and every game I owned...(some state troopers kid probly has them now
frown.gif
) I started over again and got WCP Christmas 97. Again before I owned a computer. Six months later I glued together another computer, and now after three years my collection is nearly complete. I have ever WC game and add-on with the exception of SM2.

----------------
You might be a redneck if...You think the stock market has a fence around it.

My brother brought home WC back in 1991. I always watched him play till I decided to try it myself. Since then I bought every WC game as soon as I could get it. Unfortuntlly, I lost some games, so all I need is WC Acadamy and Privatter1 (I have RF on Floopy, but that's no helping me without a Floopy version of Priv1) to make my WC collection (of the games) complete
frown.gif

------------------
Evilution!

Well, my first contact with WC1 was made because of pure luck. Back in '91 I wanted to make myself a Christmas present. I ordered BoB by mail but the company messed up my order. They sent WC1 instead. All over Christmas I tried to decide if I should keep it or send it back. I phoned up a friend who was more experienced when it comes to computer games asking him if he knew the game. He told me that he had heard about it but hadn't played it yet. Because I liked the genre of the game (and it was more expensive than BoB, too
smile.gif
) I kept it and had no reason to regret it up to now.

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

Good old times. My first time I played Wing Commander was on a Commodore Amiga.
There was this feeling to be in a "real" conflict between this alien race and mankind. I player over three years, until I saw the final screen, but I had a lot of fun with Paladin, Angel and Maniac.
It was the first time I played hours for hours.
I hope that Origin will make another a new Wing Commander. And if not there' s Chris Roberts Digital Anvil with Starlancer + Freelancer...

------------------

Back