Re: Need help for College Thesis.

TigerNobleHeart

Rear Admiral
:confused: I need some help. And I thought that this place would be a good place to start. Considering that we have a eclectic collection of intellectuals and Samaritans here. :D

(The course I'm taking is for an associates' arts degree in psychology... yeah, make your own jokes on that one!

I have a college thesis I have to write. It counts for a quarter of my total grade.
Basically, I wanted it to be about the similarities and differances of domestic security during WW2 and Post 9/11. I thought that the subject was rarely covered and it would prove to be something interesting to write about.
Well, if it was rarely covered, there might've been a good reason. Because I cannot find much of anything useful about it! :confused: I found some stuff on homefront living during the war. But nothing indepth on civil defense and the like. Google was a marginal help. (And the online collage library gave me the literal phone book). Factor in 9/11 and I've got every webpage from every Mike Savage wannabe tacked on.

Any help or insight would be greatly appriciated. Thank you and take care.

No listen up you little american collage baby face. Every single American solider can talk to me in this way and I'll know its meant for fun. But if some stupid asshole like you starts talking with me like that, then its over.

The Academy thing I mentioned being nuts is critizised by many many people WITHIN your so great military. And that for a good reason. That's all I wanted to say with that comment. And I had much nice discussions about that with some US soldiers. And for talking about you kicking out butts in some world wars, then go study some history lessons or join the military yourself.

Not a single soldier on this world, no matter from what country would have insulted be in such a stupid way. But you college babe think you are allowed to ha?

I've always tried to talk with you about WC. I also never was afraid to be corrected if I was wrong with something. But for some reason you and your asskisser club (Yes Vanhecke, you're one of them) think you have always to insult people who try to talk on a same-level basis.

I don't go here to kiss your feet. I come here sometimes to talk if I see an interesting topic. But now its finally over. I am not here to be insulted by some idiots who think they are something better and praise themselves with stuff they haven't even done a fart for.

You should really think about the way you are handling other people. YOu have pissed me off for a very long time now..

somehow I always came back and tried again on a normal level..mainly because I like WC...but now it over. This entire CIC community may have big knowledge but also consists of the biggest assholes I've ever met. Now kick me out of this crap if you feel better then, I won't come back anyway. You just have crossed the line. Better never meet me in real life college boy or I'll rip your ass off that bad that you'll never know again if you are boy or girl

goodnight

TigerNobleHeart: Whatevar collage you go to, ask four your monies back. You ain't getting enuff edumacations.

You just have crossed the line. Better never meet me in real life college boy or I'll rip your ass off that bad that you'll never know again if you are boy or girl

That's exactly what I thought of when I saw the subject line.

seriously, what the hell is going on here?

I'm not sure either....
Is it because he's asking for help on a paper? Nothing wronge with asking for pointers. Giving the guy pointers is permitted in term papers still isn't it? Or is this a simple act of "tough love."

As for the paper... Are you talking post WW2 or pre WW2? There is a HUGE difference since America was very isolated prior to WW2 compared to after the war when we were considered a real world power with militar units based all over the world.

If you can't find anything in a real life physical library, then you need to ask your college if you can change your thesis. I say physical library because the Internets severely lack in niche information like what you want. I had a friend go through similar issues writing a paper about PMCs.

Allright, allright, we get it, he spelled college wrong, hah-hah, now knock it off.

In all seriousness, we could use a little more background -- exactly what element are you studying here?

Unfortunately, t.c.cgi is correct -- you should choose your thesis based on what is available to you rather than what is most interesting. Find out what kind of library your school has and work from there (my theses, for instance, sprung from the fact that UT hosts the LBJ Library and a large collection of Lawrence's manuscripts...). We could use a little more background, too - what element of these things are you writing about? That will decide a lot - are you talking about the history of the two events, peoples reactions to the two, or what?

In terms of online resources, it's very difficult to utilize them for an academic paper. Googling doesn't get you credible material, no matter how spiffy the websites you find might seem. Your school should have a JSTOR (or the psychology equivalent - I can't remember what it's called) license so you can see what other kind of work is being done on a subject.

One thing that's going to be very hard to do with this topic is getting any sort of legitimate study of 9/11 - it's just too soon for actual history (as is, essentially, anything from the 1970s forward at this point.) One easier suggestion for doing this as a history article might be to dig up the Congressional Record for both periods and just compare the two -- what laws were passed immediately after Pearl Harbor and 9/11, what kind of debate/dissent was recorded, etc. I'm sure the 2001 material will be online, you might have to contact the LoC for 1941-42.

Ahh man the always fun college papers of death....I remember those. Always fun without a doubt. Just like LOAF said it's probably easier to pick a topic that is maybe less interesting but there's more prevalent material on. But then again you probably have passed the "I wanna pick my topic" phase.....so take LOAF's advice of some of those resources. More often then not, the laws that have changed the way we live have a tramendous influence on our society.

Take like Segregation for example....maybe the change in it wouldn't have happen if not WW2 didn't happen....try to discuss thought processes and what people were thinking, Look for crossreferences and famous quotes people (Martin Luther King), maybe try some angle angle that you can use to support your thesis....always since you doing associates and it might sound silly but start with your thesis statement, and if your "For it" or "Against it"... and do not derail yourself but playing both sides :) or contradicting yourself by saying your "for it" and then after your done reading you find your actually "against it"....if you get what I'm saying.

Also use terms that your professor has used in class. Also use discussion about certain thought processes that your professor taught (look through your class notes) this will give you browny points!!!

And yes we all make mistakes give the kid a rest, and please I'm not saying that Segregation changes were caused by WW2...I'm just giving a guideline, for help with his paper.

good luck my friend

Allright, allright, we get it, he spelled college wrong, hah-hah, now knock it off.

In all seriousness, we could use a little more background -- exactly what element are you studying here?

Unfortunately, t.c.cgi is correct -- you should choose your thesis based on what is available to you rather than what is most interesting. Find out what kind of library your school has and work from there (my theses, for instance, sprung from the fact that UT hosts the LBJ Library and a large collection of Lawrence's manuscripts...). We could use a little more background, too - what element of these things are you writing about? That will decide a lot - are you talking about the history of the two events, peoples reactions to the two, or what?

In terms of online resources, it's very difficult to utilize them for an academic paper. Googling doesn't get you credible material, no matter how spiffy the websites you find might seem. Your school should have a JSTOR (or the psychology equivalent - I can't remember what it's called) license so you can see what other kind of work is being done on a subject.

One thing that's going to be very hard to do with this topic is getting any sort of legitimate study of 9/11 - it's just too soon for actual history (as is, essentially, anything from the 1970s forward at this point.) One easier suggestion for doing this as a history article might be to dig up the Congressional Record for both periods and just compare the two -- what laws were passed immediately after Pearl Harbor and 9/11, what kind of debate/dissent was recorded, etc. I'm sure the 2001 material will be online, you might have to contact the LoC for 1941-42.

Well, we're always a bit smarter after the fact... :D

Basically, the procedures and situations involved. How they're similiar and how they differ. I got inspired by a few stories: the landing of German agents off the coast of Maine in '44, and the bust of that sleeper cell in Buffalo, NY some time ago.
Found a lot of posters of the era, "Loose Lips Sinks Ships" and the like. Got me thinking and I tried to work from there. Domestic security and civil defense of the homefront. Public awareness.
You're right about the 9/11 side.
The school's online library's given me some data. The Japanese internment and modern racial profiling... I might work with that. Hmm...

Thank you for you time, gentlemen. I will make good use of the information I have been given here.:)

Found a lot of posters of the era, "Loose Lips Sinks Ships" and the like.

The unfortunate thing about propaganda posters is they are by and large useless outside of making your dingy, bombed-out cities look a little prettier with their bright colors and charicatures. After all, I'm positive there weren't old ladies in hair salons telling all about that Manhattan Project their friend's husband was working on. Of course, I'm sure you could draw a similarity to the anthrax scare and all the people clamouring on about needing a gas-mask/vaccine so they didn't get crop dusted to death.

During WWII, the US government was worried about even generic strategic information getting into enemy hands. Like say that John Smith down the street works at a factory that used to make widgets but now makes artillery shells, and John knows what types and what quantities of shells the factory makes, and when the train comes by to pick them up, and where the train is headed for, and such things as that. In theory, if an enemy informant were to hear him talking about his job, then that would provide information to aid a plan to sabotage or destroy the factory. Of course, the probability of anybody who would or could actually relay this information to the enemy AND to whom the enemy would actually listen, being around to hear John, is in reality quite a lot lower than paranoia would have us believe.

I really don't get Frosty's post. A mispost, perhaps?

and LOAF is right in saying that a subject with more background material might be a better choice.

Back