Questions from the novels

Max Gene

Spaceman
Well, I'm now the proud owner of the WC3 novel, End Run, and Fleet Action, to go with my previous copy of Freedom Flight- I absolutely love used bookstores! I'm pretty certain I'll have a fair number of questions as I go through them. I'm starting with WC3, and early in it states that Maniac and Blair hadn't seen each other for "years". Now, the Battle of Terra was 6 months ago, and sometime before that, they had seen each other in SO2. How long was the gap between those events? The changes Blair notes in Maniac seems somewhat dramatic, and he even thinks that whether Maniac can command a different squadron would have to depend on how much he's changed- even though Maniac hadn't changed much in 10 years between WC1 and SO2... personally, I'm surprised Blair would look out for such differences.

There's also talk of an autopilot keyboard during the first dogfight, which I can't recall seeing from any cockpit views (although I always preferred to drop the cockpit and look out without obstructions). Are there any other references to such a thing in the series, or is it something we only see used once for flight randomization, as Blair used it?

There's also talk of an autopilot keyboard during the first dogfight, which I can't recall seeing from any cockpit views

The various cockpit panels are just in there for the sake of it, which is great. They can be whatever you want them to be.

How long does it take to fly back from the enigma sector to sol without a jump drive? ;)

Well, I didn't realize Concordia's jump drive is blown... most of my knowledge is from the games, still, as I haven't gotten through those 3 novels.

However, if they have no other FTL methods, I've have to assume many, many years... possibly longer than the conflict.

I'm starting with WC3, and early in it states that Maniac and Blair hadn't seen each other for "years". Now, the Battle of Terra was 6 months ago, and sometime before that, they had seen each other in SO2. How long was the gap between those events?

Roughly two and a half years; Special Operations 2 was early 2667 and Wing Commander 3 is mid-2669.

The changes Blair notes in Maniac seems somewhat dramatic, and he even thinks that whether Maniac can command a different squadron would have to depend on how much he's changed- even though Maniac hadn't changed much in 10 years between WC1 and SO2... personally, I'm surprised Blair would look out for such differences.

Well... you do have to admit, there's a pretty dramatic change between the drugged-out-looking Maniac in Special Operations 2 and Tom Wilson. :)

There's also talk of an autopilot keyboard during the first dogfight, which I can't recall seeing from any cockpit views (although I always preferred to drop the cockpit and look out without obstructions). Are there any other references to such a thing in the series, or is it something we only see used once for flight randomization, as Blair used it?

I think this is talking about the nav computer, which is *somewhere* in every cockpit:

navmap.gif

Well, I didn't realize Concordia's jump drive is blown... most of my knowledge is from the games, still, as I haven't gotten through those 3 novels.

I think that's a joke about Maniac's Morningstar being stuck at the end of SO2.

Well... you do have to admit, there's a pretty dramatic change between the drugged-out-looking Maniac in Special Operations 2 and Tom Wilson. :)

I didn't mean in appearance so much as the personality stuff. Similarly to how Paladin changes an awful lot between 2 and 3, but he's still the same Paladin..... :)

OK, why the heck is Flash some kid from the local defense forces now instead of a test pilot, and where'd my simulator duel go? I'm sure I had other questions after finishing that novel, but I can't remember them...

Back