Questions about the stormfire, and work around thoughts for SO

Actually, before you assume anything about the WC3/4 landscapes, remember that they were implemented by people who had already created conventional flight sims (which do not have this problem - their landscapes stretch as far as the player can go). I think it's safe to assume that the landscapes used in WC3/4 were far, far from our primitive measures :). The Kilrah landscape is in fact proof positive of this - you kept going and going, but the trench did not repeat itself.

Secondly, the size will in fact matter - because we don't want, after scaling it up, to get stuck with 50,000 metre peaks :). My suggestion would be to add, around the edges of the landscapes that you've already made, Basilisk, a very, very large flat plane. Probably about twice as big as the interior area.

Now, about the landscape meshes that you've sent - essentially, for a test they would probably be fine, except that they do in fact need textures (do not try to use any sort of detailed textures, because the details would become blurred out of recognition by WCP after the mesh gets scaled up). Mars, Kilrah, anything you want :). As for the shape itself, apart from what I mentioned above, it's also worth pointing out that we'll need some flat spots - we want to place a few buildings, remember? :)

Pete, the plane can't really be neutral, because the buildings would be components that we want to destroy. Hmm, or maybe not... KW, what do you think? Maybe the buildings should in fact be separate capship-style thingies?

Good points Q. Well for the edge are being twice the size the regular plane could be a good idea... say something like: if you stay in the tranch, you have more oprtunity to evade being tracked...if the player reaches the edge, insert in a cutscene when he is attacked by several enemy fighters and destoryed or something.
As for the plane being neutral...we could use a transparent box as the capship thingie, with the conponents, give it 0 speed and place it into the right position...?

not sure what youre going on about but it sounds good :) i cant seem to get any of the editors that are hosted on blacklance.org.... any ideas?

Hmm, I think, judging from the near-total flatness of the plane you just sent me, Basilisk, that there's some slight confusion here :). Take a square, divide it into nine smaller squares. Then take the centre square of those nine, and make it 3D, leaving the other ones flat - this is what I want, and this centre square should be roughly the size of what you're sending.
As for the geography of the centre square, it can be a little more 3D than the one you just sent - just as long as there are also a few flatter places (and flatter does not necessarily mean 'sea level' :)) where we can place buildings.

But yeah, the current version looked a lot better than the previous ones. I'd say that, one or two versions from now, we'll be ready for the test. As for Blacklance.org, sometimes I also have trouble downloading stuff from there, but it's only temporary - try again later/next day/in a few days.

Hmm, that transparent box is coming in more useful than we could have ever thought, KW :) (reminds me of the 'inanimate carbon rod' Simpsons episode). Yeah, that's a solution that could work very well, provided the bases are fairly compact (not necessarily small in size, but squeezed into a small area) so that placing them on the landscape does not pose a problem.

it isnt flat....... just try it in test and see how it works...... i took the scale into account, and so it will be mountainous in game. dont worry about it being flat..... i have confidence that it will be better.........

"And the hero of the day is...the transparent box" ;)
I had it for quite a while, and never had found any use to it.
Send me the plane model so i can convert it.
Oh...and Q, check your e-mail. Dont remember how many turrets it had, it was 8? It would be too little turrets for it, i placed 11. You can edit it into the ship iff ;)

Done. Its already converted. There are some shots (doesnt mind the yellow light, its because the sector, and this can be changed later):

shot0001.jpg

shot0010.jpg

Scale for comparison:
piranha:
x: 8.2, y:1.8, z:11.2
terrain:
x: 21628.7, y:504.3, z:21628.7

no game slow down

now to the bad news: the terrain model is as thick as a paper sheet, because of that i cant make a colision tree, and we end up with a fly through terrain. Try to make it thicker, so i can build the tree. Still no idea how the game will handle it for a scale like that.

hmm....... how do i do that? isnt it something in the game editor that you can change? has anyone got any ideas?what do you thing of it visually? i think it looks wicked

i know ths may seem like a stupid question, but what are the details for this project? so far i know nothing about it!!!!

Beautiful, looks like something out of Dune :).

To make it thicker, essentially you need to make it 3D. Imagine that this plane is one side of a cube - we need you to add the other five sides to it, so that it's a solid figure (keep the 'cube' relatively flat, though).

do you think if i made the plane as a cube, itd work? ill see....i could make some sides on the other side to make it closed.. but i didnt think that mattered. lets see anyway. are you gonna put extra ships in it? is it a single mission or a whole episode?

Back