Questions about "Jumping"

DeltaKiller

Spaceman
Hi, here's a few questions that I've been pondering for some time that I'd like to get of my chest. If anyone has ANY ideas, please respons, I'd really appreciate any information. BTW, my posting has a LONG preamble before I get to the questions, so please be patient.

Ok, we all know the dangers that a ship takes when at a Jump Point. If it goes at full speed, there is a possibility that it can overshoot the jump, or the back half of the ship will jum while the front stays behind. Likewise, the reverse can happen (I'm assuming) if you go too slow. You either don't make the jump in time or the front half of your ship jumps. Another danger of jumping too fast or slow is that if you jump exactly ontop of another ship, well. . . we all know that the result is quite messy.

Now, we also know that fighters can jump. At fisrt they had to be specially rigged (way back in WC I, II and perhaps III) and only a few could jump normally. Examples are the Broadsword and Crossbow bombers and the Mourningstar fighter from WC II. If I am correct, I believe that there were the first terran fighters that could jump on their own without and modifications being made to them. Later on, in Prophacy, almost every new fighter that confed makes is practically jump capable.

In the novel for WC VI, we are introduced to Cap-Ships (the Intrepid) opening up jump points just large enough for fighters to get through. This manuver needs to be (I would assume anyway) timed just right.

Now my questions are as follows:

1. What would happen to someone, a fighter or another Cap-ship, if they were in the wake just behind another jumping vessel? This would apply mostly to fighters or a Cap-ship persuing another Cap-ship. I've been trying to imagine what could happen. There you are in a bomber, about let's say 500 klicks behind a light crusier, you just got a tone for a torpedo lock, you push the limit a little, you want the kill. You're now at 250 klicks away and, BANG, the crusier jumps. I think that 250 klicks is close enough for something to happen. I'n just trying to figure what Jump Point backwash would do to someone.

2. You have backwash, and you have forewash. Instead of being behind a Cap-Ship, you're in front of the jump point. Not close enough so that it Jumps ontop of you literally, but close enought that to foreward rush of the Jump Point opening will get you. What do you think?

3. Finally, as I said before, when two Cap-Ships jump at the same tine, or, well something screws up, anyway the point is they jump to the exact same place in space. Two Cap-Ships, we all know will go KA-BLOOIE! But, what, if a Cap-Ship jumps ontop of a fighter? As long as the fighter is not clas to engineering or the bridge, what would happen?

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks as always,

Deltakiller

Have you read all the novels? There's quite a bit of differen types of jumping explored there.

1. I don't know if the "backwash" is very harmful per se, but you risk the same thing as the speeds you mentioned higher above. You could get pulled ahead and jump with the craft, left behind.. or cut in half.

2. Same.

3. Jump points aren't one exact point.. they move a bit and even if you could take a snapshot of one things would be slightly different. So even if two ships jumped at the same time (and many do), they probably wouldn't overlap.. Although there is a danger I suppose. When that does happen, there's a Very Bad Thing.

I'll give it a try
smile.gif
:

1.I beleive that the cap ship will block your way from "backwash", but then again, anything is possible
wink.gif

2.Since I can't get my hands on any novels (
mad.gif
), I'll base my answer on the games and movie:
I don't think there's a "forwash" in movie jump, the ship just "pops out" with no visible jump tunnel. In that case, the worse thing that can happen is that the cap ship will take you out...
And as for the games... I'm as
confused.gif
as you are...

3.I think Chris is right, and might I add that we see sevrel ships open a jump at the same point (each ship has it's own jump).

And IMO, I don't think that the jumps are that dangerous... we see the Vas opening a jump and canceling it when the Intrepid comes presuing...
As I said before, I can't get my hand on any of the novels, but I think that there were other cap ship before the Interpid that could have opened large jump holes for fighters to get throgh... In WC3 we see the Victory opens jump holes for it's support ships (and if I'm wrong, then it happens before the last mission when both fleets are regrouging)...

------------------
Evilution!

[This message has been edited by Hero (edited March 26, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC in Fleet Action Novel Landreich forces maked jump with very small time interval between ships. And Tarawa (under Bondarevsky) was collided with FRLS Blitzkrieg (Krueger's flagship). Both ships had sustained light damage.

------------------
Mikhail "Black Joker" Babloyan

Wing Commander in Russia

That collision was *after* the jump, because there wasn't enough time to turn, Black Joker. DeltaKiller was asking about what happens if two ships come through at the _very_ same spot - which would indeed be a very, very, very bad thing. Fortunately, it would take an awful lot of bad luck; far more likely is the scenario that you described, where ships just have a normal collision.

Actually Quatro,Black Joker. Your both right. The FRLS Blitzkrieg did collide with the Tarawa, But in and unconventional way. Only sertian sections of the 2 ships appeared in the same spot. From what I read in the Book. It sounds as if the sections in question here, just vanished.

Now it has been a year since I've read the book. So I may be wrong. I'll try and dig out my copy of the book to clairify.

Trust me, Judgement. The Blitzkrieg appeared right in front of the Tarawa, and it was too late to avoid collision. That's all. No overlap.

Quarto is correct -- the Blitzkreig appeared "less than 400 meters ahead" of the Tarawa. Right *before* this happens there is a notation on what happens when two ships appear in the same space, though, which is probably why you're confused.

------------------
Long live the Confederation,
Ben "Bandit" Lesnick
( loaf@wcnews.com - 302228)

The Wing Commander CIC

"You go, LOAF! Get some!" -JPG

Bombardez les Ptitard!

Back