Question about WC 4...

Okay, folks, my first time posting here:

I very recently picked up a copy of WC 4 :The Price of Freedom on ebay very cheap and in mint shape.

However, it is without[/I] the game booklet and I'm having a hell of a time trying "take pictures" with the camera used like the guns instead of firing my guns on the mission in the Tyr system. I don't see anywhere in the controls or nav-map how to do this.

Does anyone have an answer to this one?:confused: Oh, and it is the Playstaion version, not the PC version and it is being played on a PS3 console.

ANY help is much appreciated!;)

I was about to say press H to switch to the alternate guns and then you had to say PS version

I'll do some digging and see what I can find

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.wcnews.com/manuals.shtml

more specifically: http://download.wcnews.com/files/manuals/Wing Commander IV PSX - Manuals.pdf

without knowing anything about how it actually plays as I've never played the PS version, from what I gathered in readin gthat if you go into the options and turn off full guns you can then cycle between gun types, which presumably would allow access to the camera (and later on the leech and scatter guns)

Thank you for your reply.:)

I have actually visted both links provided on the main page previously.However when trying to download the PS manual (the 2nd link youhave provided), it only now downloads only the coverpage (or 620.40 KB of 7.39 MB) and I have tried this both at home and at work(which has a satillite internet connetion.):( For some reason, it looks like the rest of the images originally provided no longer exist or have somehow been deleated.

I HAD downloaded the PC manual not realizing it was the PC one,...so maybe if I go back and "compare controls" for the PC and PS, I may (?) be able to figure it out.

But if anyone has a quicker answer or just plain knowledge of this, I'd still appreciate the input. :)

I also seem to have trouble cycling through my different guns on both WC3 & WC4 on the PS2,...I never had this problem on the PS ONE. I also recently picked up a copy of WC3 at a local store used in great shape, manual and all used and played the whole game (not since the PS ONE days) not able to switch cannons/guns. It may be just me being a moron, but I had read somewhere that SOME games have control issues issues from one console to the next (PS ONE to PS2).:confused:

Thanks to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooh, that could be the problem.

The PlayStation port treats the 'special' guns (leech, camera, fusion, etc.) a little differently from the PC version. They appear on the regular gun cycle, after everything else. Cycle through your weapons (L1+Square on the default control scheme) until you get to the camera and then just fire it like it was a laser (square, on the default control scheme).

Wing Commander IV PSX has a whole mess of different control schemes, though - try switching between them and see if another one works correctly. Please let us know how it works... I'm thinking of picking up a PS3 myself, and would certainly want to be able to play Wing Commander IV on it.

Oooh, that could be the problem.

The PlayStation port treats the 'special' guns (leech, camera, fusion, etc.) a little differently from the PC version. They appear on the regular gun cycle, after everything else. Cycle through your weapons (L1+Square on the default control scheme) until you get to the camera and then just fire it like it was a laser (square, on the default control scheme).

Wing Commander IV PSX has a whole mess of different control schemes, though - try switching between them and see if another one works correctly. Please let us know how it works... I'm thinking of picking up a PS3 myself, and would certainly want to be able to play Wing Commander IV on it.

It's a bit of a derail, but if you want a PS3, you can get one for $323 here after adding these two coupons, CTV2$2HX963145 and TP5NV0VMFJ9BCZ.

I really aught to get those PS1 Wing Commander games, are they good ports?

I don't want to out myself as ignorant but aren't there problems with the backward compatibility of the PS 3? Or does that only count for the European PS 3?

I don't want to out myself as ignorant but aren't there problems with the backward compatibility of the PS 3? Or does that only count for the European PS 3?

I *think* all PS3s will play original PlayStation games - but only the earlier version of the console can play PlayStation 2 games.

I really aught to get those PS1 Wing Commander games, are they good ports?

They're good but not great. Wing Commander III suffers from trying to emulate the DOS version as closely as possible. Wing Commander IV makes some notable cuts but is also much quicker and has a better control scheme. They both pale in comparison to the impressive 3DO version of WC3, which had a much better design philosophy (make the game fun for *this* console instead of trying to be just like the PC).

I *think* all PS3s will play original PlayStation games - but only the earlier version of the console can play PlayStation 2 games.

None of the currently produced models support PS2 games, but there have been a few ways to get around this. I got the Metal Gear bundle, which was released earlier this year, which comes with the 80 gig PS3 that supports PS2 games via software emulation.

Thank you for your reply.:)
I have actually visted both links provided on the main page previously.However when trying to download the PS manual (the 2nd link youhave provided), it only now downloads only the coverpage (or 620.40 KB of 7.39 MB) and I have tried this both at home and at work(which has a satillite internet connetion.):( For some reason, it looks like the rest of the images originally provided no longer exist or have somehow been deleated.
The file looks okay to me. Right-click the hyperlink and select "save as..." instead of loading the file in your browser.

Back