Question About The Kilrathi Saga

TheDetective

Petty Officer
Just curious. Why is The Kilrathi Saga ESRB M rated while Wing Commanders I, II, and III were not M rated individually? Seems like an inconsistent rating.

Well...WC1 was released September 26, 1990, WC2 was released September 4, 1991, and WC3 was released December 8, 1994; the Kilrathi Saga was released October 15, 1996. The ESRB as an organization was officially launched on September 1, 1994, three months before the release of WC3. It could simply be a case where the whole thing is rated M because only WC3 would've been around to receive a rating; I don't know for sure, but that's my guess.

Well...WC1 was released September 26, 1990, WC2 was released September 4, 1991, and WC3 was released December 8, 1994; the Kilrathi Saga was released October 15, 1996. The ESRB as an organization was officially launched on September 1, 1994, three months before the release of WC3. It could simply be a case where the whole thing is rated M because only WC3 would've been around to receive a rating; I don't know for sure, but that's my guess.
Wing Commander III got a T rating by itself, though.

Oh yes, I can just barely recall the brouhaha about this. The real answer is that it's because the ESRB is stupid; the explanation they offered Origin at the time was that it was because the game included trailers for M-rated titles. (In truth, the ESRB wasn't terribly consistent in those early days.)

Back