Quadrant / Sector designation

Sonntag

Spaceman
When playing Wing Commander, you see that a quadrant is smaller than a sector, a sector thus including four quadrants. In Star Trek, the milky way is divided into four quadrants, which include several sectors.

Does anybody know how the milky way is classified in reality, do quadrants and sectors exist, and if so, which are bigger areas?

I dont think anything will be designated until we've gone out there and explored some of it. We have named systems that we can see, but i dont think we've divided up the galaxy yet.

are Earth and Terra the same thing? I mean, in Wing Commander, we are called "Terrans",and not "Earthlings", so I'm confused.

Yep, good question... in my opinion, it's the same thing. Terra - Earth... humm... Anyone here with an answer ?

Originally posted by NoRemorse
Yep, good question... in my opinion, it's the same thing. Terra - Earth... humm... Anyone here with an answer ?

Terra is the latin word for Earth

Terra is the "official" name of our planet. We just call it Earth, just like we call the star Sol the "Sun". We call Luna "the Moon". If we ever contact an alien race, we should call our planet Terra. That's not likely, though, since not many know it's actually called Terra, just like how most people think (erroneously) that we only use 10 percent of our brains.

They're used interchangeably. They could be...though I usually call our planet "Terra". The more Firma, the less Terra :)

Originally posted by Nep Parth
Terra is the "official" name of our planet. We just call it Earth, just like we call the star Sol the "Sun". We call Luna "the Moon". If we ever contact an alien race, we should call our planet Terra. That's not likely, though, since not many know it's actually called Terra, just like how most people think (erroneously) that we only use 10 percent of our brains.

Well the advantage with sol, terra and luna is that these words are latin terms, a language that is extinct by now, so it is neutral to use, compared to Earth and Sun which are English words and thus not acceptable for use in official inter-space terms (this actually leads to a deeper discussion which can not be discussed yet, as we don't have reached other star systems yet and the question therefore isn't important yet)

so if I refer to the planet as "Terra" in science/history class will they all laught at me or be confused?

Originally posted by Mav23
so if I refer to the planet as "Terra" in science/history class will they all laught at me or be confused?

Well how do people react if you say: I am smarter than you and call earth in a different way than you do???

I think you should avoid it...

I don't know. There are a lot of names for Earth. Terra, Dirt... (Stainless Steel Rat, anyone? :)) okay, that's all I can think of right now. Still Terrans just sounds better than "Earthlings", don't you think? All those cheesy '50s sci-fi movies, where the Kilrathi goes, "Take me to your leader..." no, wait...

Sometimes Terra is better (such as in the context of games like Battletech). For everyone else, Earth will do nicely, thank you.

Back