Public letter to games industry, please join in

As you've probably read about it, our final attempt to rescue the Babylon 5: Into the Fire space combat simulation has failed.

All this is thanks to the game company that cancelled it (Sierra) now sitting on the game material, reversing it's earlier decision to sell it. They grow aware of the game's ongoing support by it's fans and were apparently not very happy about all the negative PR it has got in the public on numerous occasions.

First they yanked up the price with Codemasters, who tried to purchase the game from them, now when an ex-developer based Sector 14 Studios who had all but the game material (game code, movies & storyline) tried to buy it with substantial about of money, were rejected with no explanation.

The explanation is that Sierra does not want the S14S to take a product they've canned as a non-quality product and turn it into a success.

We're still got some hope in the form that S14S would build the game from a scratch, and we're there to support them.

[nb]However, we would like to remind the gaming industry and public media about Sierra's behaviour against it's ex-developers and the gaming community in general, and we intend to do it with a bang.

Please come on in, and join the people signing this public letter:[/b]

Dear Gaming Community,

My name is Kevin Mac Neil, and I am speaking on behalf of the Babylon 5 gaming community, about the game Babylon 5:Into the Fire, cancelled by Sierra back in September of 1999.

The cancellation upset many gamers that were waiting for the game to come out, and many more gamers were upset at Sierra’s unprofessional treatment of the developers. The Babylon 5 team itself had just been relocated from Yosemite Studios to Bellevue months before the cancellation, a time when Sierra was probably already debating shutting down production.

Over the last year, at our site FirstOnes.com, and ItF-Finland.org, we have been working hard to try to resurrect the game. A group of the former developers formed their own company, Sector 14 Studios, and have been working to acquire funding, a publisher, a license, and the myriad of things necessary to buying the game materials from Sierra.

After all of this hard work, they have accomplished almost everything they need. They have funding. They are ready to go with a license from Warner Bros. They have a publisher. They have the talent. But after all this time, working on the assumption that Sierra was willing to sell the materials, to which they have previously alluded, Sierra says no. A flat out no. No reasoning behind it, just no.

I believe this act is simply to save face for Sierra. They have been offered a good deal of money, so that is not an issue. They just don’t want to let the developers get the best of them. They won’t let a community prove them wrong by making a Babylon 5 game a success.

This is a great injustice, and a tale about a good company going bad, being only influenced by greed and ego. And I feel this is a story that needs to be told. Gamers need to know.

But it is not too late. Babylon 5 fans all over the world are waiting for Sierra's next move. They could turn things around by selling the intellectual property, restoring gamers' faith in a strong software company. It's Sierra's decision now. Let's hope it is the right one.

Kevin Mac Neil
aka Drazi Guy
On behalf of the FirstOnes.com community

First of all, WCESCRP is nothing like the deal with B5. WCESCRP was asking for the source code for free. This letter is intended to be a slap to Sierra and any company that refuses to practice good business. They lied, saying that they would sell the work done so far, and when the money was presented, they said sorry, no luck. It makes no sense to do this when Sierra is not working on any kind of sim, flight or space or otherwise right now. There is no way they would have lost to sell the material and would have at least recouped their costs. This was plain selfishness on their part. They became afraid that if the game was finished and did well they would look bad, so they childishly held everything back and turned back on their word. And slapped they need be.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

http://www.ntr.net/~vondoom

I think that maybe Sierra intends to use the engine that was built, not as a B5 game, but just put some different ships and say its a new game...

------------------
Well, its classified... i mean, i could tell you, but then i have to kill you...

KillerWave said:
I think that maybe Sierra intends to use the engine that was built, not as a B5 game, but just put some different ships and say its a new game...

Unlikely, the only people who knew the code were fired when the game was originally cancelled.
Not only would they have to reverse engineer the entire code, they would then have to complete it.

It's not as if I'm against this effort, but I came here to read about WC. Aside from here, I haven't read nor heard anything about this game - call me a sheltered person, I don't care. But I have not read anything to do with WC come from this guy, and I'm sorry, but I'm not all that interested in B5. Surely there is a better place than CIC to take this effort up?

Okay I've read the other threads on this subject, disregard the last post - I'm sure you do with anything else I say.

Oh, you give yourself so little credit, Wedge.
wink2.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited October 10, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, Sector 14 Studios is currently seriously thinking about making the game from scratch, thanks to the ongoing support from us. See this thread http://www.firstones.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/003169.html, and especially not Rick Brewer's message about market and the game.

Wedge009 said:
It's not as if I'm against this effort, but I came here to read about WC. Aside from here, I haven't read nor heard anything about this game - call me a sheltered person, I don't care. But I have not read anything to do with WC come from this guy, and I'm sorry, but I'm not all that interested in B5. Surely there is a better place than CIC to take this effort up?

You haven't heard anything about the game, because (a) you haven't been reading the online game sites, and (b) you haven't been reading major game mags carefully.
smile.gif

There are dozens of articles around the web and the paper versions about our efforts, you just haven't seen them.

You've heard nothing concerning WC from me, because I've been here for some time - I was here, when the WCP:SO was released on the Internet, and I used the callsing "Freeze" due to some Frosty person, who stole my callsign ...
wink2.gif

Since then I found out about B5:ItF and I've been busy runnign a large support site up until today ... it's http://www.b5itf-finland.org/ - you cannot understand a word, but you'll see it's size from there ...

Believe me, I like the WC series as much as you do. And I know that this is the place for WC dicussion, but I was hoping that all we space combat (sim) game fans could hold on together, and fight for game company idiocracy (SP?).

[This message has been edited by Freeze, B5:ItF Finland (edited October 14, 2000).]

Freeze said:
ItF Finland:
First of all, Sector 14 Studios is currently seriously thinking about making the game from scratch, thanks to the ongoing support from us. See this thread http://www.firstones.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/003169.html, and especially not Rick Brewer's message about market and the game.

Calm down already. You didn't have to type all that in bold. It's great to now this, but calm down next time.

------------------
Meson

come see the new Meson's Starport! Now at http://www.mesonstarport.com
Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

Err, he just forgot the closing tag, Meson, he's not trying to offend you personally
wink2.gif

Back