Prophecy Secret ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

OscarZan

Spaceman
For Kris.

Everytime someone ask how to find prophecy special operation you recall rule of this chat zone.

You are right because there are rules. I'm not questioning this but i have a problem.

Where i live (Italy) there 's no way to find Prophecy gold edition. It was hard to find prophecy and 5 episode were on cd of a game's magazine.

In "where to buy section" there's nothing. Tell me, what am i supposed to do?

Check on e-bay and pay it 200 $ or more.

I don't think i'm the only one in this chatzone who have this problem.

Why we can download WCATV episode and we can't do the same with WCP SO episode ?

Oscar

WC:p SO was made to make money. In fact, WC:p SO is still regularly available with some detective work online. I found it in a UK software bundle for $15.

As WCATV is no longer on the air (and when it was, on sunday morning cartoons on a second rate cable channel) it cannot make money and I think they see no harm in it's distribution.

The USA network was not a second rate cable channel when they aired WCATV as they had the leading show on cable tv back then (WWF Monday Night Raw now known as WWE Raw.) However it is now as the WWE jumped to TNN and the ratings have fallen for the network. Also if you are not in america it does not apply, but if you were the WCATV show on sunday mornings was on the number 1 or 2 cable tv network as back then american cable atleast was determined by the WWE and WCW. I am not including the ratings of local channels as Monday Night Football was on at the same time as the flagship shows of the two cable networks and they skewed the ratings abit but they are also in different categories. But sadly the whole sunday cartoon lineup got cancelled it wasn't just WCATV it was the whole lineup including Mortal Kombat and replaced it with sitcoms. The USA network has been in trouble since the WWE jumped in 99' so yes it is technically a second rate cable network now but back then it wasn't.

As I said if you didn't have American Television as most of you are from all over the world it doesn't apply to you but for american citizens it is a small history lesson if you didn't know.
Though the fact that they cancelled it on the USA network in america and Origin and EA being american companies its probably a big reason why they did not make more than one season as they probably could of gotten syndication on the fox network here in america.
:(

Eh, far be it from me to complain about the availability of WCA, but unless your permission actually comes from the USA network, it's not worth anything :).

Originally posted by Quarto
Eh, far be it from me to complain about the availability of WCA, but unless your permission actually comes from the USA network, it's not worth anything :).

not what I said. I never had doubt's about your right to post it. I was just letting you know that the network in america it was played on was not second rate that is all I said. where you got the Idea that The USA Network held the rights to releasing it is beyond me. I was taking a guess as to why a second season wasn't done on a different network (considering if an american companies show sucks in america that why try in another after the first season). I was talking about american stations I have no clue as to what it aired on in different countries. Are you trying to make me sound like a bigot with this statement you came up from third base with "but unless your permission actually comes from the USA network" you know that is not what I bleeping meant Quarto? Cause I'm not. I really have no problems with other countries. :confused:

Originally posted by DoomsdayPlague
Are you trying to make me sound like a bigot with this statement you came up from third base with "but unless your permission actually comes from the USA network" you know that is not what I bleeping meant Quarto?
Before you make posts like this, please consider that the other people may not be responding to what you said - I certainly wasn't :).

Originally posted by Quarto

USA almost certainly no longer has distribution rights to Wing Commander Academy... the people to get permission from would be Universal...

So why don't we pay something ( for example 3 $ for anyone register) to origin or EA and we can get Prophecy Secret Ops episode for register members of this chat?

How many are we? I think a lot of people.

It doesn't look a stupid idea.

What do you think about?

so I guess the question is... WOULD Universal put out a DVD if we asked for it? and how would they do it? if we gave a list of names/addresses with order details, would they be willing to put out a DVD or something?

Because it's not worth the trouble? It's not like EA needs the $100 to stay in business.

So what's the problem?

Can CIC put prophecy episodes on server like Kilrathi saga secret mission or special operation?

It's same situation, isn't it?

Originally posted by OscarZan
So what's the problem?

Can CIC put prophecy episodes on server like Kilrathi saga secret mission or special operation?

The difference is that the KS add-ons were never released commercially (with KS compatibility, that is). The only release was via the 'free download' method. The non-KS versions of the add-on are still illegal to download. The SO episodes were originally provided for free, but Origin eventually switched over to only allowing people to get new copies via WCP Gold. Thus, it is illegal to download SO episodes or to provide them for download (actually, iirc, right from the start, it was illegal for anyone other than Origin to provide those episodes). If Origin so chose, they could suddenly announce that the KS add-ons were suddenly not to be downloaded, and the CIC would undoubtedly remove them.

What a scam by Origin and EA. I did not have the pc to run it when it first came out. When I did it was off the market and if you had already shelled out fifty bucks for the first release of prophecy it wasn't worth it to by the Gold. My brother had the computer to run WCP but I wasn't allowed to use his so I didn't actually beat prophecy till now and I don't want to have to do triple back flips to play the old ones paying three times the amount that they originally sold at and I won't by from ebay as I don't trust them.

So again I say what a scam Origin and Ea pulled saying ok this game is free then renigging the deal and now saying you got to pay for it.

The funniest thing about it is they don't make a dime on the copies being resold on ebay used for triple the amount they charged for it.

Umm... Let me get this straight.
They make a complete game (and a decently long one, at that), and offer it for absolutely no return on their investment for a period of time (and state beforehand that its only available that way for a limited period of time). Then they quit offering it for free, and instead bundle it with an older game for the same price or less than what the older game (which is pretty recent) originally went for (and btw, while uncommon, this is not an isolated incident in the PC game industry). Knowing that 1.) A number of fans have already played through it, and 2.) Retailers really don't like expansion pack priced items (retailers price by percentage above cost - ergo, a more expensive game makes more money for the retailer for the same amount of shelf space), and 3.) Its not an expansion anyway (its a standalone game that doesn't interact with your Prophecy install), they only offer it as a bundle. Ironically, the complete bundle costs EXACTLY the same amount as the combined price of both games when they were originally released (or less - can't remember if WCPGold was released at the 49.99 price point or not), but is now a LOT more convenient to install and run (no 12+ hour downloads over a 28.8 modem - and yes, I did do that - twice).
So now is it a rip-off because they originally offered the game for free? Or is it a rip-off because they decided to start making money off of all of their hard work? Or is it a rip-off because they didn't price it the way you thought it should be priced?

Originally posted by OscarZan

Since they're not up for download, it's obviously *not* the same situation.

The Kilrathi Saga add-ons didn't make it into the KS package, so they made them available for download instead.

We do things for a reason. If you need to have something spelled out, e-mail the staff or private message a moderator or administrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back