Prophecy Hi-Res Issues

Mjr. Whoopass

<FONT color=lightblue><B>I was going to say someth
I recently installed the Hi-Res patch. I was on CD 2 of Prophecy. During a scene with Blair the game crashed and displayed:
Iff::Iff open file 'gameflow/mouse_f.iff' not found and not optional

Then I tried to start Prophecy again and the error said:

Iff::Iff open file 'game/cdlayout.iff' not found and not optional

I have the 1440x900 screen resolution that I've seen others in forum archives have problems with. I had a tough time getting the patch to work. In the process I've had about every error in the archives such as the huge floating ship in the simulator, only displaying 1/4 of the screen, target sight missing or altered on HUD, and these types of things.

A few days ago I re-installed Prophecy and managed to get some type of .iff error which I assume is related to a mission history or save game that was deleted. I started over with a new pilot and finally got the hi-res patch to work with Direct3D on 640x480 resolution. I altered the txt document to say
"640 480 32 driver.d3d" (not sure if that was a good idea). I put all the high res movies into the movie folder. I have half of the target icon on the HUD and don't have a target icon at all when using the stormfires (don't remember if the regular game had no target when using stormfires).

I had continually re-installed the hi res patch over and over again while trying to get it to work, so I'm not sure if this is messing things up. I play Standoff without these problems, so I'm not sure if I need to do whatever the settings are for that.

I tried taking the movies folder out and replaying the cruiser attack mission, but it still had the same fatal error and message just after Blairs talk with Casey ended at the start of CD 2. I certainly noticed a difference though between the hires movies and the regular style.

Maybe I can try playing the mission again and pressing escape to skip the movie? Not sure if that will help.

On another note, I recently changed the .txt file to read 1440 900 driver.glide even though I ran the patch installer with the lowest resolution on d3d. I thought the graphics looked great, but it's hard to tell if it's my imagination that it seemed to improve.

Regarding the IFF files not being found, I seem to recall those error messages being associated with TRE files not being accessible, whether on the local installation or on the CD. In this case, I think the relevant file is GAMEFLOW.TRE

As for the resolution problem, I never had any problems of that nature, but possibly only because I have only ever used standard (4:3 or 5:4) aspect ratio resolutions (1024x768, 1280x1024, and most recently 1600x1200).

I know this doesn't help, but it's all I have to offer since, sadly, it's been a while since I have played Prophecy.

Thanks anyway Wedge009. I found an old thread: http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=22852 where Dundradal was having the same problem. He re-installed Prophecy to get it working again. I guess I will try that. I also have both regular Prophecy and Prophecy Gold discs, so maybe one of those two versions is bugged.

Back