Privateer Parts

Loozer

Rear Admiral
having problems with privateer part one on floppy, while i install the game thru the disks it gives a warning telling me that it failed a CRC check it does this on a few of the disks (im installing thru dos of course) well it actually installs an tells me to type priv at the privater directory well after i do this the screen just goes blank and nothing happens please anyone that can help me out i will mail them a whole dollar for the answer to this dilemma i want to play the game so much plaese someone help me

i trying to to do this on a:
1994 compaQ presario 425
8mb ram
win 95 is on it
170 mbhard drive
4mb video card
dos ver.4.0
65mhz pentium

i played wing commander 1 on this system using a batch file to slow it down but i v had no prblems playing other games on here since i installed privateer like heretic, eye of the beholder, rise of the triad etc. please someone help me!!!!

I only regret that I have but one life to give confed,,Loozer>>Hells Kitchen, Vega Sector

Originally posted by Loozer
...it failed a CRC check it does this on a few of the disks

That usually means that you have bad disks :( What you could try to do is to copy your disks to your drive c: and try installing from there.

Re: Re: Privateer Parts

Originally posted by Starkey

That usually means that you have bad disks :( What you could try to do is to copy your disks to your drive c: and try installing from there.
how do you copy them when i ve already installed the game the game on to drive c using the disks i do not need the the disks to play the game thanks for replying!!!

Delete everything inside c:\privater than copy floppys into it. Now run the installation from c:\privater. If the installation work than I would suggest burning the floppys to a CD. CD's last longer than floppys.

After installing P1 if you can't run the game post your autoexec.bat and config.sys. What sound card and graphic card do you have?

Re: Re: Re: Privateer Parts

how do you copy them when i ve already installed the game the game on to drive c using the disks i do not need the the disks to play the game thanks for replying!!!

I know that. What I meant was that there was a problem DURING the installation, and that was probably caused by bad disks. So you have installed your game from damaged disks, which gives you a DAMAGED installation, resulting in unability to play the game.

You can remove the installation you have made, because those CRC errors mean that some files weren´t copied to your hard disk, so your installed games is missing some files and therefore will not work.

On second thought, I don´t think copying those disks to your c: drive and installing the game from there will work. What you could do is this:

- Uninstall the game (delete the game folder in drive c: )
- Re-install it from the disks.
- Write down which files are having CRC errors during installation.

Then someone here could e-mail you the missing files, but I have to check first if that´s not a copyright violation (I don´t wanna be banned). Anyone knows about that?

Anyway, Loozer, make backup copies of those disks fast, because diskette failure tend to be degenerative, meaning the bad sectors eventually will spread to other clusters of your diskettes.

We better wait until we hear a second opinion on this, I am not 100% sure about the copyright stuff and if there´s a better way to solve the problem. But in the meantime you could make a backup of those disks.

<edit> there´s our second opinion, thanks to John. Try his idea first.

Starkey, your first idea of installing from the HDD was the best way of handle it. If the installation still fails I would suggest getting the CD version of P1. It's comes with the sequel to P1, Rightous Fire.

i had a question since the disks had errors on it would it be easier just to buy another copy of the game i mean i dont want the thread to turn in to 400 replies

I´m with John on this. I think the best idea is to try what I said first (installing from the HDD). Then you could think about buying a new game (CD version) which would be good, since you could play Righteous Fire also.

i had a question since the disks had errors on it would it be easier just to buy another copy of the game i mean i dont want the thread to turn in to 400 replies
If you have to buy a the CD version than buy it. But you might as well see if is game will install. The only really deference between the floppy and CD version is you get two games for the price of one. Oh' and CD's are easier to handle.

Starkey, you and I are posting that the sametime. Funny. I am not use to that.:)Starkey, I'll let you handle this.

i would get the cd but this computer only has a scucci port (or whatever) for a cd rom and the are difficult to find plus it would have to be external

from where im sitting you both are gods now tell me how to install from hdd step by step

John is the God here I´m just a believer :D

Ok John I´ll write the instructions, but feel free to help me out.

Loozer, do this:

the first part you can do in Windows if you´re not used to DOS:
- create a folder in your hard disk (like c:\privdisk)
- copy all files from your privateer disks to that folder

Now, in DOS:
-Run install.exe from the c:\privdisk folder
- When asked about the install directory, leave the default one (c:\privater)

I am not sure that it´ll work, it will depend on how bad are your disks. If you have any problems, tell me.

And be sure to make those backup copies of your Priv disks into fresh, new (Maxell or other good brand) diskettes.

i would get the cd but this computer only has a scucci port (or whatever) for a cd rom and the are difficult to find plus it would have to be external

It´s called a SCSI port (but it´s spelled the way you wrote it).

That can be arranged, though, you could try setting the CD-ROM as a slave disk (drive c being the master) or buy a CD-ROM controller (I have one spare at home, if you don´t find one.)

Back