Privateer Boardgame Testing on Vassal

jlav

Rear Admiral
pic1328497.jpg
Hello WC fans,
I posted almost a year ago that this project was under way. I am pleased to update that we are now looking for playtesters.

Privateer embodied what I feel was the best of what was emerging as a genre in video games - self-guided experiences with the freedom to adventure through your own story. The boardgame we are developing is inspired by that sense of adventure, and open-ended story.

If you are familiar with the Vassal Engine, that would be a benefit, though it is not required. Our playtest group is setup on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/468492313222958/
As a need, I am looking for more artwork of pilots from the Privateer/Wing Commander world, to be used as characters in the game.

Our ultimate goal is to release this as a published game, however given copyrights issues, that may not happen under the Privateer name. I would however like to be able to get the Vassal Module and potentially a Printable version of the game available for anyone to download. Both free versions would be available to anyone to play, and obviously will not be as polished as a published version.

Those interested in contributing to the project are encouraged to contact me at privateer.boardgame(at)gmail.com

pic1626720_lg.jpg

Hey, I sent y'all a message a couple of weeks ago about helping out with the testing and never got a response. Did y'all get it?

Did you try the facebook group or the email? Looking at the post above, I realize now I misspelled the email! Sorry! Fixed now:rolleyes:

Here's a piece of artwork from the project. We'll be moving to original artwork to keep things independent of EA, but keep a familiar feel to the project as you can see:
pic1677057.jpg

That looks cool. Do you have any other updates on how the testing is going?

I've been assisting with the playtesting of the 1-player rules. Been squashing bugs and finding ambiguities in the rules. Haven't been winning as much since the latest version of the mod/rules came out (finally won one yesterday).

Hey Guys,
Here's an update:
We are very close to making the rules and vassal module publicly available. This is to get more players hand's on the game, and also opens us up to produce an illustrated manual, and connect people to the ability to produce the physical game.

Here's the website where information will be posted and updated:
privateerboardgame.blogspot.com

Scheduled Date for open downloads: Friday June 12, 2013
Scheduled ballpark for Print and Play: August 2013

There are just a couple of adjustments to the vassal module and it will be up for download on Friday. For those wondering, Why Vassal? Here: http://privateerboardgame.blogspot.ca/p/why-vassal.html

There's still a lot we could use help on.
I need pilots from the wing commander games
3D obj files would be helpful of ships from the wing commander universe
Mission ideas to clean up the mission deck - I want to run a contest on this point, details to come

The Module is now up, along with rules, a link to the vassal engine and a couple of tutorial videos. I will be working on some more tutorials on DUP movement and combat in the near future. I wanted to give WCnews the first look at it, so I put it up early, and will let other places know tomorrow.
http://privateerboardgame.blogspot.ca/p/files.html
Cheers,
-Josh-

I'm sorry I don't know what you've said, but I can guess the link wasn't working. Ive changed the file location and link, so it should be working now :)

Reactions: cff
Thats the exact error message I got in the browser. Facebook obviously recognized my location and gave me a German one. Yes it basically said page unavailable. Can confirm that it works now with dropbox (at least for me).

Quick update, I found a collection of screenshots that has allowed me to make all of the pilots - characters from the game. So all of the faces will be familiar in the next update:) Moving away from borrowed art is a priority for me, to make this firmly Privateer, or original artwork.

Working on artwork for the manual. Thought some people here might like it:
nebula_2_wp.jpg

There are some more pieces underway, and as I get them done, I've been putting them up in the downloads section.

Back