Priv2 - Game Freezes when swapping CD1 to CD2 HELP!

Barney

Spaceman
As the title suggests, when asked to insert disc two, the game freezes and I can't get off the swap screen. I press <space> (and every other key) but no go. Disc 2 appears to be in good condition, as I can browse it in explorer.

I am running 1.3 Gig Athlon with Win ME. I have used a conversion patch to get the win95 and slowdown happening and all runs smoothly until....

I've surfed every forum and thread that seemed even vaguely relevant - still no good. Help me please...

Barney

Hm, I've used this w95 patch, too. Disc change works great, don't even have to press a key.

Have you installed the game from your harddrive or from your selfburned CD?

Ok, have you checked the FAQs on the creator's HP yet? Your bug is mentioned there, too. Here is the extract:
I've successfully played through CD1 in Privateer 2. Now, it keeps asking me about CD2, although it is in my CD-ROM drive! How can i fix that?
The problem might be that you installed the game not from CD, but from Harddisk. When Privateer 2 now looks for CD2, it will just search the path where it was installed from (and this is probably the copy of the CD1 content on your Harddisk). Here's how you solve this problem:

Create a new folder on your harddisk, for example c:\p2cd2 (It must be different than the folder where you have put the contents of CD1!)
Copy all the contents from CD2 to this directory.
Open the folder where you installed P2 to (probably c:\dark) and edit the first line to read c:\p2cd2 instead of the directory where the CD1 files reside in.
Restart the game and proceed to the point where you will have to change CDs. Simply press a key then, and the game should continue without problems.
Please keep in mind that you will have to do this everytime you change CDs, so it is a good tactic to save your game as often as possible!
Hopefully that'll help you somehow.

P.S.: Just read through the How to in the FAQs I posted and realized Sordid was on the right thing already ;)

This problem just happens when youn install from HD. So burn your own W95CD and install from CD.

I have been suffering the same problem but am confused by your answer THE_WUQKED. I have copied the cd2 files to the computer in a folder called c:\p2cd2 but I don't understand how I tell the game that that's where they are.

When you say edit the first line when in the c:\dark directory do you mean change the c:\dark directory to become c:\p2cd2?

I am confused but desperate to see the game work again!

Thank you

Sorry, I didn't actually write that, but I just copied it from the FAQ from the author's side. Besides that, the easiest way is to burn the CD and reinstall the game with the CD instead of via HDD.
And as far as I understand the FAQ, you are meant to change the CD-directory, not the game-directory in a cfg. - OH! I see, he didn't mention what cfg - lol. Ok, now I see why you are confused :( - So either check what cfg he (the author) is talking about or simply reinstall the game with a burned CD, just like Sordid suggested.

Ok, I'll try the burning the whole cd trick.

Thanks for the advice fella.

Just finally managed to set up a network in my house and doesn't it make you wish Privateer 2 was LAN capable?

As a seperate matter, does anyone know of any wing commander/elite/privateer type games that I could get to run over my new network?

Thanks a bazillion

Problem solved and the tri-system is getting the flogging it deserves. Thanks to all :D

Back