Price of Freedom DVD

cam.bond

Spaceman
So to make a long story short, I was looking for a few new movies to watch...I remembered that I'd never seen Wing Commander, but after checking it out and reading the almost universally bad reviews I decided not to bother. However, WC IV seems pretty cool - I'm not looking for a game here (I'm sure it's excellent from a gaming standpoint etc. etc., but I don't have the time or inclination to play video games anymore), it's the close to three hours of footage that got my attention. Basically, I'd like to buy the DVD and edit myself a Wing Commander film.

So here are my questions:

1) Am I correct in understanding that there are two DVD versions, one with lower-quality video (if so, which one is this?)

2) If this isn't the high quality version, is there any way to get it besides sifting through ebay?

Thanks in advance. I'd ask if anyone here was willing to part with their's, but I figure it'd be a pretty long shot on a Wing Commander forum :p

1) Yes, you're correct.

Some details on the 2 versions:
  • (the one from Starvector) just the 6 CDs put onto one single-side/double-density DVD, no improvements to it beyond what's available for the Win95 version of the 6-disc game; this was an OEM disc provided with some Gateway systems, and on the non-data side is an image of the Black Lance logo found on the CDs, with some additional text regarding "not for resale" and some other stuff I can't recall, off the top of my head
  • sold only with Creative 1x-5x DVD kits, is a double-side/single density disc with movies made from the original shooting film, not the compressed video the regular CD version uses

2) Auction sites, and maybe the newsgroup comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.marketplace, are the only place you can get the disc. The DVD kits (which also include the DXr 2/3 hardware decoder card that, until relatively recently, was required to play the movie clips, since the game was released when DVD standards weren't yet present) one may find in online stores are very unlikely to have the disc.

And in regards to making a movie from WC4, you might want to peek over here, and possibly save yourself some effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back