possible starcraft conversion

revilo

Spaceman
ive been thinking about it, i've done SC mods before but its the 3d models i need, in 3ds format.

anyways - sc has 3 sides, perfect - kilrathi, human, and niphilim. there would be three campaigns, following the wc storyline, but you'd be able to play as kilrathi and niphilim in multiplayer and custom maps.

i need some sort of ship viewer...for wcp and wc3 (i think wc3 meshes can be converted to wcp already, tho)

anyways, if anyone is interested in helping, reply, if no ones interested, i wont waste my time :)

Hmmm... would it be possible to make more units that work like the Protoss Carrier? Otherwise, you are just wasting your time.

Quarto does have a point. SC is too ground based for that. Armada is the only Strat game that would be good for WC. And there is already a mod going for that.

well...

just convert all the ground units to air units - easy. as for the buildings - make them fly as well. and yes i can make more "carriers" but i was thinking that the cap ships would serve as transports (theyd still be able to attack too), able to carry and deploy fighters. makes sense since cap ships in WC dont manufacture their fighters.

some ideas:
zerg to niphilim - relies on numbers, fighters can combine/split.
protoss to kilrathi - all ships from wc3
terran to human - probably wcp style ships with a few wc3 cap ships

[Edited by revilo on 03-14-2001 at 20:18]

Nah, it's not worth it. A WC conversion couldn't possibly do justice to StarCraft's ground component - and without that, StarCraft is nothing.

SC is basically a ground based unit game. All your fighters would have to be ground units. I don't think that it would go over too well. :(

You can do it right. Make the background a star background with nebulas and stuff... Then create units (fighters) that fight on this.

TC

Well just have different humans like the startrek conversion is doing and do something similar, and make different kilrathi and nephilem to, for the ground forces. Structures just make them on the ground (such as blackmain and the ella bases) And carriers, use the ones now like the vesuvius, victory, intrepid, and mabey the behemoth can carry some to. And the kilrathi and nephilem also can carry fighters too. A Wc to SC would be a great thing. I'd even pay money for it!!

clarification

im saying convert the ground units to air - make them fly, like flying units, same for buildings - they'd be able to move freely around all terrain. but i thnk quarto is right - SC isnt SC without the ground component.

BTW - is there a ship viewer somewhere? the one in WCP is too limited.

Well, Thomas Bruckner has something on his page. The program (included with his ship editor) he made requires that you extract the ships from data.tre. Even then it only displays wireframes, until you convert the texture files from MATs to BMPs. Thomas' 3D Exploration plugin will of course be much better - once it's finished.

a WC mod for SC? sounds pretty good. use the buildings for stations, the transports for carriers, the units for fighters. i say go for it.
or you could make a wing commander ground combat RTS. there are very few of them (zilch i think)

Back