Possibility of Fan Cgi for fan movies?

Queeg

Rear Admiral
Good evening, something that has always bugged me about trying to make these Fan Movies from the Wing Commander games, is the fact that missions that you play in game are part of the story, and there is hardly any CGI in the game for missions. So if there must be a way to make 'Fan CGI' by using models of wing commander ships. Thereby creating CGI, so they blend in better with the FMV and it feels much less like watching someone play the game.

Well I have done some experimenting in a 3D model program called 3Ds Max 9. This allows me to import the wing commander ship models (the ones from CIC files) and use smart key frames to make them move. So I thought I would make some samples of what can be done with these models. So here are some demonstrations below -

Cgi Test 1 - Kilrah Explosion

Cgi Test 2 - Attacking Transport

Cgi Test 3 - Chasing a Confed enemy

Now the first clip is just an example of the kind of stunts that the ship can perform. Basically it can move in 3 dimensions at any speed. The second clip is a long shot of a hellcat taking on a Transport. Now the third clip is an example of how fighter battle scenes could work. I have attempted to create a 'laser' effect (no sound effects yet) for shooting. There are tons of things that can be done in this model program and I think it would be worth looking into to.

So the question is, what do you guys think?

Wel, It's a good start anyway. It's certainly something I would like to see persued more.

yeah, I'd be interested to know how fast you produced those.. thats some decent quality animation!

The only real drawback to making CG movies is the amount of time that it takes to produce them... and the software and hardware necessary (which it sounds like you have) but I bet this is something that would make a really great project for you if you are willing to stick with it!

Kudos!

Yup, not to sound discouraging, but NinjaLA is right about the amount of work that is required to go into a CG Movie. Especially one that you want to be really, really good. Once upon a time I was working on just such a project. To really make it shine, it requires a lot of modeling, to include characters, and then all the objects: sets. ships, uniform insignia, etc...etc...etc, and then you have to texture them all as well. Stock models generally as a rule don't work well for a movie project because they lack the detail and textures required. It is doable, but it is a lot of work. One of the best solutions for it, is generally to avoid anything that requires people, but even then that gets a little boring after a while and there are also particle effects for explosions and what not that are needed.

It's good to see that you've got some of the basics down, thats a great start. I'd work on smoothing out some of the ship movements, and learning some particles so you can do up some explosions. I'm curious how you did the renders though, as it seems some of the key parts of the ships are actually transparent and have the background showing through.

I'm not meaning to sound discouraging, and I hope I'm not. Just some considerations and things that I learned the hard way that I figured wouldn't be terrible to share.

Brad

I think the bits of ship "disappeared" because the nebulae background was probably composited after the 3D rendering, and the alpha mask on the 3D layer have "leaked".

Nonetheless a good start. The amount of exaggerated slide and movement with the Hellcat avoids the "runs-on-rails" look.

How about try adding the dust field effect (for example in the WC4 intro) which will give an impression of forward momentum.

However, rendering time will also increase, so you might probably need some experimenting to find the most efficient way to add those (it may become a bottleneck).

Thank you for the very insightful replies :). I am aware that modelling is very time consuming, I made a 'test' mission with an explosion effect. Let me know what you think...

Oh and the ship disappearing, thats fixed now the backgrounds are rendered differently.

CGI Test Mission

Hey Queeg,

Not bad, not bad at all! :) I'd echo AD's sentiment, but can also appreciate Brad's concerns having messed about with some WC models in 3dsmax 5/6 a few years ago. You've added quite a few elements and your overlay work is always good -- a dynamic background and smoother movement would would likely be the next steps, but I'm sure that will come as you become more proficient with the programme, so I'd say keep going!

However, for the kind of volume you seem to be hinting at I'd suggest that looking into edited FRAPs footage from WC Saga (perhaps with some basic FRED2 scripting - e.g. check out the autopilot and fleet jump sequences) or the Homeworld 2 mod might be better. Both have a number of reasonably high quality models available and can be manipulated more easily in an environment that conveys depth well.

For example, a while back I started a recreation of the WC4 mission in the Masa system, where Paulson orders you to interdict two UBW cruisers, using a combination of footage from the DVD and various edited external views and shots from the Homeworld 2 mod. I didn't get too far due to other demands, but it is pretty straightforward and workable. I'll have to revisit it one of these days! :p

Cheers,

Bryn

Hey Queeg,

Not bad, not bad at all! :) I'd echo AD's sentiment, but can also appreciate Brad's concerns having messed about with some WC models in 3dsmax 5/6 a few years ago. You've added quite a few elements and your overlay work is always good -- a dynamic background and smoother movement would would likely be the next steps, but I'm sure that will come as you become more proficient with the programme, so I'd say keep going!

However, for the kind of volume you seem to be hinting at I'd suggest that looking into edited FRAPs footage from WC Saga (perhaps with some basic FRED2 scripting - e.g. check out the autopilot and fleet jump sequences) or the Homeworld 2 mod might be better. Both have a number of reasonably high quality models available and can be manipulated more easily in an environment that conveys depth well.

For example, a while back I started a recreation of the WC4 mission in the Masa system, where Paulson orders you to interdict two UBW cruisers, using a combination of footage from the DVD and various edited external views and shots from the Homeworld 2 mod. I didn't get too far due to other demands, but it is pretty straightforward and workable. I'll have to revisit it one of these days! :p

Cheers,

Bryn

Ah I did think about capturing WC Saga footage since the graphic detail is pretty incredible. However, my PC isn't powerful enough to record it with Fraps at a reasonable speed or res. I've seen clips of the Homeworld 2 mod which is pretty cool, but you always see the ships really far away. Also I don't think there is a way to change the space backgrounds on Homeworld?

Thing is it all has to look similar so you don't notice the change between the WC4 CGI and then what ever you are mixing it with when watching. I remember seeing a video of Maniac and Blair flying to the superbase thing mixed with homeworld 2 scenes which worked quite well.

Thanks for the advice though :), I still think that with some practice and trial & error it will have potential.

That's a neat clip, gr1mre4per -- looks very promising! :D

I really like the movement in the last shot in particular, and your weapon effects and missile trails looked quite good too.

Cheers,

Bryn

hi gr1mre4per!

awesome one - I especially like the movement of the fighters - they look very believable - the problem always is that you don't have to be a pro to see if something's movement is correct or not - but this looks really good :)

how long did it take you to do this sequence? how long was the rendering time?

A couple of weeks, but it was a very on-off (mostly off) project. But this would be ideal to do over the next few weeks as i'm going to be spending time away from home with alot of lonley nights in a hotel, so i'll be taking a laptop along with a decent mouse and my lightwave dongle and I can spend some time doing some cgi.

actually it is. I've got it all layed out in my head, with the WC4 intro music, its just getting the umpf to do it as i've got other things going on at the moment such as an MCSE course. But ive got some time comming up and will be giving it a bash. Plus i've learned a whole load of new stuff to make the quality better since I did this clip.

Anywayz, this thread is about queeg and his fabulous movies. Your cgi looks good, just spread your wings a little. Looks like you're trying to work in a small area, just remember space is big!

Yes Gr1mre4per that clip was seriously incredible! That's exactly the kind of space action I am trying to achieve. Perhaps you could be kind enough to give me a few pointers?

Obviously the clips I have posted are very basic at the moment. I am still getting to grips with the software, but making progress. I now know how to create a 3D space background and have Camera's following objects for a full 3D effect. Still lots to learn yet though. Thanks for posting this :D!

unfortunatly for some reason my computer wont allow me to watch them, but i'm looking forward to the finished product

Back