Please help me get WC2 running with Windows XP. I'm SO close!!!

KSOT

Spaceman
All I want to do is play one of my favorite childhood games again and every step of the way I run into a new hardship =/

I've got both the original DOS version and the kilrathi saga version on my hard drive.

Booting the kil saga version in windows XP works and the game runs, only the sound skips and repeats a lot and the video speed goes into hyper mode sometimes. The gameplay is also extremely laggy, as in it takes a second for my directional commands to actually go through. Makes playing the game impossible. Strangely enough, the copy of WC1 that came with the KS package runs like a dream.

After a lot of configuration adjustments, I was able to get the DOS version running well enough in Dosbox. So I'm finally playing it after having given up on it so many times before. I'm having the time of my life, and then BOOM... it freezes right after I kill the first batch of ships on the second mission. I close the program and try it again... sure enough, froze in the exact same spot. I'm not sure what causes it to freeze, but it seems like some sort of event is about to take place in-game. Again, strangely enough, the DOS copy I have of WC1 won't load at all. It always asks me to insert disc 1 >_<

I just wanna playyyyyyyy. I hope someone here has any idea about either of these issues :(

Have you looked into the DosBox thread in this forum? It's here - http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=16383 There even are sample configs for DOSbox.

The problem you have with WCII is most surely a missing command in you DOSbox config - look for the "loadfix" command in the attached thread. Also, use DFend (also mentioned in the thread) to make life easier.

Yeah, I'd try the loadfix command and a couple different number modifiers attached with that. Additionally, turning off/on EMS for WC2 might be worth a try.

For KS, if you had previously turned off soundcard hardware acceleration for Prophecy, try turning it back up.

Back