Pioneer Gets New Graphics (March 15, 2007)

Cpl Hades

Mr. Kat
While the WC Pioneer project has been relatively quiet in public, Howard Day has been working on some new visuals behind the scenes. The project's Hunchback fighter has been given a bit of an overhaul and now looks a lot better than it did 18 months ago. The engine upgrades have also been redesigned to fit it with the new art style. Built-up dirt and corrosion on the cockpit windows are another new new visual touch that's been added.
I've been working on getting the Hunchback up to the new graphical spec - the old one was just too rough and... blech for it to pass muster amongst it's newer brethren. I've also been working on the the engine upgrades - the external modules they will attach to the engine hardpoint on your ship. This is another area where I just didn't like the quality of art I'd made previously, and even if I did... it simply doesn't fit in with the new stuff.

I've also put together a rather minor in-cockpit effect. It's a kind of scum - dirt and just residue, I guess, that builds up on the outside of your cockpit windows as you fly about. It collects slowly, and only gets removed when you do a full/complete repair. I guess they throw the window wash in for free. There are also scortch marks planned using the same basic system. Ideally, these would only show up once you've flown through an explosion at close range.

--
Original update published on March 15, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. Still cant wait for this project to be finished.

Love the cargo manifest for the Tarsus cockpit rendering. :D

When I look at the pictures the thing that comes to mind is that the work like it is being produced by a professional who is passionate about their work. (In care you are wondering that's as good as it gets in my books...) If I were to say that it looks fantastic it would be an honest comment but I don't think it conveys an attention to detail that this game is getting.

My only concern is that you and the team may be setting the bar high enough in each aspect of the game that you never finish... When it's done I'm sure it will be great.

Anyway, I'm not holding my breath waiting for a release.

cheers,
Floater

That's an excellent attitude to take. We honestly just don't know when the first release will be. There's a lot of stuff still to do, even with the full-ahead progress we've been making recently.

This is great stuff.. hope you don't mind ... this interior Tarsus cabin shot was the perfect background!! Great Job!!!

Back