Peter Lamont Book Forthcoming

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
For those of you not in the know, Peter Lamont is a legendary Production / Art Designer on many famous movies, including the vast majority of 007 films. He also was the PD on 1999's Wing Commander and it sounds like a book is coming out based on his time in Hollywood. Though I have no doubt most of it will cover the 007 films and Titanic, there may be some tidbits in there from Chris Roberts' film as well.

'The Man with the Golden Eye – Peter Lamont

The legendary Academy Award winning production designer Peter Lamont is finally opening up his archive for Tomahawk Press in a new book, co-written with Max Pemberton. Lamont designed 18 Bond films, and many of James Cameron’s films, including Titanic. Lamont’s iconic work provided the classy look for these films, and his contribution cannot be overstated. In addition to being one of the world’s foremost production designers, Lamont is an extraordinary raconteur – his stories providing new perspectives on the both the Bond franchise and James Cameron’s work. We cannot express how excited we are about publishing what we know will be an extremely important and beautifully designed book.
We will be posting updates regularly on our Facebook page, as this project develops. Watch this space.' Go to http://tomahawkpress.com/ for details.'

This could be interesting. I hope it does include some info on the WC movie, though I doubt they would spend much time on it over all... and I'm not sure I want to buy the book on the off chance there's a page or two of tidbits.... :)

Here's an excerpt from Cinefex's article on the making of the WC movie:

The film's deliberate retro look - featuring spacecraft that bore a strong resemblance to aircraft, battleships and submarines - arose from the director's desire to do a World War II movie in space. "I wanted to see spaceships going toe-to-toe, slugging it out and blowing up," Roberts remarked. "I hadn't seen any movie pull out all the stops and deliver that kind of action since Return of the Jedi. fortunately, production designer Peter Lamont got on board with this approach right away, showing up with ten huge illustrated volumes containing blueprints and detail of various warships."
I assume that means he brought books about real world battleships as references for when they build all the sets in Luxembourg. I'd be interested in knowing what ships inspired what elements in the film and so on.

Back