peace on earth?

Bla1r

Spaceman
I don't know if anyone can answer this, but do you know what is the earth's status militarily during the war with the kilrathi and during the alien invasion? I mean, are there still wars on earth? It is clear that there ARE countries on earth, it's not one big country(at least that's what the flags in the assembly chamber in WC4 tell me), but are these countries at peace? I hope that at least by 2600, humanity will be finally united(yeah, so much of a unity, humans fighting humans in WC4)

I think that it's reasonable to assume that the flags in the Confederation assembly in WCIV had something to do with different planets rather than different countries. Perhaps the founding members of the Confederation?

If there isn't a world government on Earth, then all the countries DO get along well and cooperate. Traditional differences in language and cultural certainly do persist (just look at all the crazy accents in WCI), so it's not one big blob of homogenized humanity.

I would imagine countries might probably still exist. If autonomous countries still exist, they're probably all at least loosely united under an "Earth" banner. Different flags don't mean so much in this case. States and provinces of countries usually have their own flags, yet still consider themselves part of the same nation. Scotland and Wales have their own flags, but are part of Great Britain. In any case, I don't think the Kilrathi or the Nephilim would have paid much attention if only half of Earth was technically at war with them. :)

On-planet war would be a big joke by that time. Such a war, if officially declared, would be officially over within three hours or less. Who knows? Maybe the US is beating the living fuck out of France during the entire Kilrathi war.

Bla1r said:
I hope that at least by 2600, humanity will be finally united(yeah, so much of a unity, humans fighting humans in WC4)

To be fair, they weren't Earthlings, they were Border Worlders. Also, there's the Landreich and other breakaway states (and the Pilgrim Alliance, which still existed at the time).

Humans have a strange habit of joining forces against a common foe. My guess is that with the threat of the Kilrathi over everyone's heads, we finally realized that we couldn't be petty anymore. After the Kilrathi threat was neutralized, then the infighting started back up again.

overmortal said:
Maybe the US is beating the living fuck out of France during the entire Kilrathi war.

Ah, the stuff dreams are made of..... :D

Quoting from Melek's lament in WC4 about "where is your concept of absolution" would imply that during the Kilrathi war the countries that made up planet Earth would be in some strong bond of unity...

There was some kind of civil war on Circe in WC4, but it was ignited by Admiral Tolwyns agents IIRC.

Also take into account that mercenary and pirate attacks weren't uncommon. "Privateer" also gets the wrong connotation in the WC universe, for the most part. But, one faction or group of humans against another was a common thing. Just not terribly wide-scale.

Mav23 said:
We couldn't do that, they'd just run away.
...Which reminds me of a joke:

Why did the French plant trees along the Champs Elysee after WWI?...

...so the Nazis would be able to walk in the shade!...

Preacher already reminded me of another joke. (granted, this should be in the off-topic board...)

A blonde bought a new Lexus LS400, and returned the next day, complaining that she couldn't figure out how the radio worked. The salesman explained that the radio was voice activated.

"Watch this!" he said..."Nelson!"

The radio replied, "Ricky or Willie?"

"Willie!" he continued.....and "On the Road Again" came from the speakers.

The blond drove away happy, and for the next few days, every time she'd say, "Beethoven", she'd get beautiful classical music, and if she said, "Beatles!" she'd get one of their awesome songs.

One day, a couple ran a red light and nearly creamed her new car, but she swerved just in time to avoid them.

"ASSHOLES!" she yelled.......

Suddenly on came the "French National Anthem", sung by the Dixie Chicks.

overmortal said:
Maybe the US is beating the living fuck out of France during the entire Kilrathi war.

Don't think so. 600 years should be enough for them to get over their childish behavior. :D

Back